Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Techniques for improving boosting on a big kite

Postby lindseym » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:17 am

So today I took out my 17m Roca in about 16kts. I am 160 and board size was 136 x 43 (Nomad). I'm trying to ride bigger kites to do more airstyle stuff but I can tell that I need to work on my technique a bit. People on the beach said I looked like I was going big but I can tell it was only so so. I'm so used to flying my 12 that switching to a 17 in powered conditions is a little tough. Can anyone offer any advice for getting a bigger boost when using these big kites. Also, when do you actually "pull the trigger" (pull the bar in) ... 11:45, 12:00, or past noon ?
Thanks all,
lm

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Techniques for improving boosting on a big kite

Postby BWD » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:03 pm

i don't know that particular kite but in general, I would say:
make sure you get your speed up, forward speed will give you lift, more than sheer pull on bar/harness
sheet in at the same time you start sending kite back, but be sensitive and adjust how much depending on how the kite turns -if a pivoty turning kite, sheeting in too much will slow the kite moving across the window. it needs to move as fast as possible.
send it back hard
more important to send it hard/fast than far -with big kites you can't necessarily send it across as many "clock hours" as with little kites
play with edging hard with the kite fairly high -10 or 11 and jump unsent to dial in the feel with that kite, load edge, release, edge hard, pop unsent jumps, start adding more and more kite movement to the jumps, get dialed timing pop/release with the movement of the (big) kite.
Still may get more time but less height than a 12m kite....

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:20 pm

To hold the power of a big kite you need a small board and a long as possible depower way. If I move my stopper down by 5cm it already makes a big difference in being able to hold the edge.

Do not ride too fast before jumping. You need to dig in the edge...so test your speed and see what works best for you.

When the kite flies over the zenith you need to redirect immediately back to zenith so it stays there.
Do you have my Airstyle DVD? I explained it there.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

ha ha i stand corrected!

lindseym
Frequent Poster

Postby lindseym » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:27 pm

Toby wrote:To hold the power of a big kite you need a small board and a long as possible depower way. If I move my stopper down by 5cm it already makes a big difference in being able to hold the edge.

Do not ride too fast before jumping. You need to dig in the edge...so test your speed and see what works best for you.

When the kite flies over the zenith you need to redirect immediately back to zenith so it stays there.
Do you have my Airstyle DVD? I explained it there.
Hi Toby - many thanks. Yes, as a matter of fact after my session yesterday I watched a bit of the DVD. I bought it several years ago but am now "reviewing it for purpose :D ". At any rate, this all makes perfect sense. Cannot recall where you mentioned it in the video, but at what point do you pull the trigger (pull in the bar)...just before the zeneth, at the zeneth, or a little after - or, does it depend upon the wind and the trick ? I think that is what I need to adjust in my technique. I am going to start filming myself and will post so everyone can see my crappy stance lol. Oh yea, I do also think my board size is too big. I have a smaller board on the way (Best admiral 133 x 40) and may get one even smaller but I think it should be good.

lindseym
Frequent Poster

Postby lindseym » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:29 pm

BWD wrote:ha ha i stand corrected!
I still think you raise some good points though in terms of sending and will try this...thx

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:35 pm

The board will already make a difference 3cm less wide.

If you can, test something even smaller and see if it works even better for you.

With rotations it can be a bit further behind the zenith...but the goal is to have it as close to the zenith as possible...this way you have more control in the jump. The more movement the less controlled your flight will be.

It is in the How To part (Jumping) disc 1.

When you have power you basically just need to pull the bar down with the kite in zenith.

What do you do when you jump on the beach to test the power? My kite is in the zenith and I pull down the bar and off I fly.

Gotta love power!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Check this: it's after a Beach Darkslide.
The kite moves a bit past the zenith due to the slide, but then it's just pulling it and due to the power I get that high
Attachments
image.png

Return to “Airstyle”