Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cocoa Beach/Clearwater, Florida
Style: wave
Gear: Surfboards, Airush Wave kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Custom Surfboard

Postby heemskn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:34 pm

TomW, have you made a board like this without the channels, or with different channels?
Please comment on how you feel they affect the performance. Thanks!
Basically I looked at an Evo, made it shorter, concave deck, thinner rails. It's down to 10mm thick at deepest part of concaves around 1/3 up from tail. Actually this board is 4-10, but compared to a 4-8 I made first, its hard to tell the difference. Fin placement is not the same as Evo. Volume is irrelevant, but it's about 13 liters according to Akushaper, so that tells you I have 1/2 volume overall compared to most boards.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:52 pm

Bushflyr wrote:
TomW wrote:
Basically I looked at an Evo, made it shorter, concave deck, thinner rails. It's down to 10mm thick at deepest part of concaves around 1/3 up from tail. Actually this board is 4-10, but compared to a 4-8 I made first, its hard to tell the difference. Fin placement is not the same as Evo. Volume is irrelevant, but it's about 13 liters according to Akushaper, so that tells you I have 1/2 volume overall compared to most boards.

As a hobby builder, I'm only building a few a year.
TomW gets it. :thumb: This is one of the nicest kitesurf board designs I've ever seen. The only thing I can see that would make it (slightly) better is a couple of 30cm long thumb grooves on the deck up by the nose to make it easy to catch hold of on big airs. It's SO frustrating when I go for a big jump or a jesus walk transition and miss the catch because the board slips out of my hand. :angryfire:

Could you make a quick sketch of this feature and send pm?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:01 pm

heemskn wrote:TomW, have you made a board like this without the channels, or with different channels?
Please comment on how you feel they affect the performance. Thanks!
First prototype I built was 4-8 with same channels but not as deep. These in photos are deeper. Next set I'm building are back to prototype, about 30% less deep. It's really hard to do testing side by side when you are hobby builder. Takes huge amount of time. Respect for the pros doing many prototypes and testing.
I would have to build 3 -4 boards, same exact color, shape, rocker, outline and fin placement, and change only the one factor like channel depth. Then set up all the boards with same fins, pads and then do blind testing during same session. Multiple times.

Back on topic- get a 5-0 or less!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:04 pm

topmick wrote:10mm

How what is your boards weight TomW ?
3,1 to 3,2 kg with pad and fins for a 4-10
Built to last a lifetime with 4+6+4 bottom, 6+wood+6+4 deck. That puts 4+6+4+6+4 on the rail.

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby dwarf » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:00 pm

topmick wrote:
Bill wrote:Thinking of having a custom surfboard made. An important point for me is upwind ability. Think this is important as if you can get back up wind quickly, you can ride more waves! Gonna have medium volume (around 25 ltrs) and 5 fins (so I can go 4 fins if I want more upwind ability). What is the main thing to include for upwind? Is it straight sides (so front and back come out fairly quickly - perhaps a fishtail- to give a straight-sh edge)?

I weigh around 76kg or 170 pounds.

Thanks
This is my custom 5'3, goes really good upwind & downwind :D
Noticeably better upwind as a quad.
Better feel when on a wave as a thruster.

image.jpg
Awesome, did not know they made kiteboards as well. Bert still in WA?

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:20 pm

@ dwarf, no Bert is set up in Thailand now. I ordered mine online through Tino. tino@sunovasurfboards.com

@TomW, in your opinion how does the channelling on your boards & FW Evo,s impact on the performance of these boards ?

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:56 am

Bushflyr wrote:Just stop. Basically the questions you're asking mean you have no idea what to ask for. "Upwind ability" has no consideration in board qualities for those of us that ride waves regularly. Who cares if you can pull 25 meters higher on a tack if the on wave handling sucks? Also, you mention volume. Don't. Volume matters when you're paddling into a wave. It's completely irrelevant when you have a kite to pull you. Surface area and bottom contour matter.

So, having said all that, buy a 5.2 vanguard and be done with it. You'll never regret that board at your weight.
spot on :thumb:

dsundaram
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Favorite Beaches: Hood River, La Ventana, Waddell Creek
Style: Surf
Gear: North, Slingshot, Wainman
Been thanked: 0

Postby dsundaram » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:29 pm

Tom W,
Can you make me a custom board with the same shape as that purple one above. I am hoping to find someone that can make me a board with custom graphics.

Dave Sundaram, Las Vegas

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:02 pm

dsundaram wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:29 pm
Tom W,
Can you make me a custom board with the same shape as that purple one above. I am hoping to find someone that can make me a board with custom graphics.

Dave Sundaram, Las Vegas
send you a pm

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:24 pm

Hey BWD, your example looks somewhat similar to the old Slingshot spacepickle: I totally loved that board for light wind and the for the usual mushy wind-chop generated shore-break we get here on the west coast of Florida. That thing could fly upwind on a kite a size smaller than everyone else was riding and also milk the hell out of a gutless wave, but similar to what you reported with yours, it got really dicey if the faces were chest-high or if you tried to ride it overpowered.
BWD wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:50 pm
IMG_5534.JPG
DIY Paipo/mini-simmons inspired upwind/lightwind machine:
5'x22.5"X1.25"
Cheap and dirty 3mm ply skins, foam. Bulletproof but heavy. Next version will have thinner plywood skins and/or just glass on bottom.
Saved about 10-12 sessions for me. Kind of like a hydrofoil* but only needs about 8" depth.
Extra width makes it float nicely on jumps, pulled in tail makes it turn "automatically" yet super stable....
Just throwing out there as example of a design tailored to specific needs. Don't think I'd go
with it in >3' waves but was very nice for summer.

*sort of a joke, sort of true ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”