What is your strongest wind setup?

Forum for kitesurfers
TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, & Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What is your strongest wind setup?

Postby TheRussian » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:14 am

iblocalsurfer wrote:Does anyone know what size core kite the guy was riding that jumped 26.8 meters in cape town today(new woo record)? It was blowing 45 knots.
Holy Shite.... bet that looked incredible... as he apexed, no doubt he thought time to throw a few heli-loops !

Note to self - need to master port tack jumping and holiday in CT !

ColdWeatherKiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Kakumäe, Estonia
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, France
Kite Beach, South-Africa
Vääna- Jõesuu, Estonia
Style: Freestyle and big air
Gear: Eleveight RS 8m2, 9m2, 12m2 2020
Eleveight Commander 137cm 2021
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ColdWeatherKiter » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:42 am

TheRussian wrote:
iblocalsurfer wrote:Does anyone know what size core kite the guy was riding that jumped 26.8 meters in cape town today(new woo record)? It was blowing 45 knots.
Holy Shite.... bet that looked incredible... as he apexed, no doubt he thought time to throw a few heli-loops !

He was on a 10m gts4. Epic to take such a big kite, but dude is big too. Like 100kg

TimS
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: Core GTS/XR

Postby TimS » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:27 am

7m Chaos 2016 with a 139x42cm board , can hold it to 48 knots gusts and my weight is 76kg's

Mad_dan
Medium Poster
Style: Bigair and airstyle
Gear: Core XR4 13.5
Core GTS3 11m
Core GTS4 9m
Core XR 6m
Tronic.
Naish mega
Airrush slayer
Airsusv sector
Crazyfly cruizer
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mad_dan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:32 am

ColdWeatherKiter wrote:
TheRussian wrote:

He was on a 10m gts4. Epic to take such a big kite, but dude is big too. Like 100kg
It was a 9er.... but still big for that wind. I chikend out the other day in same wind conditions, maybe would have tried if I brought my 6er.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:38 am

Apparently, my strongest setup is a 17m and a 160cm door and I'm looking at foils now for the weaker puffs of air, lol. The rest of my kites gather dust and I don't deem them equipment anymore, so they don't count as our onshore winds max out at 12mph here now :angryfire: Oh yea...and it's season...tourist season I guess. :evil:

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m, Hyperlink 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m and 14m, access 6m
Flysurfer Soul 15m.
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50, Ketos Foil freeride2 and Transformer TT

Postby BOEMIX » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:34 am

Rrd fsw 90 l with 4m sail up to 50 knot gusts. My 7m catalyst (smallest kite) get to scary past 45 knot gusts.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:25 am

5.5m Kahoona ridden in 45+ knots (and who knows what gusting) as hurricane Matthew was leaving OBX

PugetSoundKiter
Medium Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:20 am

A few times I had been caught out in is some 35+ knot wind gusts on 7m and 9m kites and I had to come in till it mellowed out. Then for fun years ago I got a used 2009 Switchblade 4m kite and purposely went out in 35+ knot winds, using a Mako high rocker board, that works great in big swell & chop. The kite was great handling kite for high winds, like flying a 2 line stunt kite it zips around so quick even on the puny 40cm bar. But at 190#s and 20+#s of wet gear on, plowing over high wind waves the 4m SB did not have enough power for me. Under heavy turning/loading the small sized leading edge tips would fold on the 4m SB. I tried pumping it super hard but I could still sometimes fold the small leading edge tips. A 4m SB would be a great kite for a lighter person, it handles so easy.

Over a year ago I got a 2015 Ocean Rodeo Storm 5m kite with the overbuild features including a full size leading edge. High winds usually come with high gusts, and high wind gusts can yank you around pretty good. I found this information to add a 5th line to the 5m Storm kite. So I made a Y-connection bridle on the kite for a no-load 5th line. My first design had 6’ long Y-legs but it looked like it could tangle with the other lines/pulleys if the kite gets rolled. So I re-made the Y-legs about 3’ to reduce the possibility of any line slack/cross-over tangle. I set this up on a 55cm bar with 24m (80’) lines. The 5th line with a 12”+ of slack measured out to 28m (91’). With all 5 lines stretched out together and depower strap out, all 4 lines are equal and 5th line is 64” beyond the bar when pulled thru. I also made some longer pigtails with 6 knots spaced 2” apart on the outside lines for adjustments. I should note the wingtips have 3 attachment points on the kite for tuning turning speeds. I kept it attached to the outer most attachments for the quickest turning. I tested the safety in 25 knot winds and it works fine, but similar to a 2 line safety it flies upside-down. The front line bridle has a pulley so using a dual front line safety will pull at more/wider points on the kite than the 2-points my 5th line Y does. For tuning, shortening the outside lines with a pigtail knot too near the kite, the kite did not fully sheet out. Too long and the steering gets a little sloppy and even worse if I needed to use the depower strap. I found 2 knots that worked good so I labeled the shorter length knot “High Winds” (less sheeted out) and the longer knot “Very High Winds” (a little more sheeted out). Again the difference is only about 2”. The kite reacts quickly and turns smoothly. The bar/line length combo is good. The 5th line did not cause any drag/pull issues and I could pull it 12” before it would get tighter and I had to pull it even more/harder before I could notice any effect on the kite.

So my strong wind sketchy condition setup is a 5m Storm and my high rocker twin tip boards that are long, Mako King 165cm and Cabrinha Custom 144 cm.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:30 am

plummet wrote:The enjoyment fact is not necessarily directly related to max wind speed. Its more gust to lull range. The problem with high wind kiting is the windier it gets the bigger the gust/lull range. There is a point when it is just to wide to enjoy. Particularly if the lulls are real low. I had a session last year that was 5 to 35 knots. That was hell fire crazy. The next day was 30-45 Way more fun. A lot more sustained high wind. But it was repeatable-ish and you still had power in the lulls.
100% agree on the the lulls. Especially on kites that generate their power from apparent wind a lot more than other kites. Big lulls can make my sessions much harder to deal with than other folks.

With that said, I don't change my board for big winds - I like to let the water conditions dictate which board I choose. It's always a surfboard, between 5ft8 and 6ft. As for the kite, it's a 4m BRM Cloud C2. I haven't hit the top end of that setup yet. If the wind is steady, I can get on the 4m in ~28mph average. I've ridden the 5m in conditions that were averaging just under 40mph and been fine.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Was 30 years a windsurfer and been through the equipment overload game.

I have only 3 kites* and one board*, they are Slingshot Rally 7m, 9m, and 12m, and a Shinn Ronson 136 x 41. I am 69 years old, 80kg, 5'11" and fit and kite every day if there's wind. The 7m is really nice on the Ronson up to over 32 knots and it drifts really nicely while surfing but with enough balls to move quick if needs be.

In more wind than that the gusts and lulls get more extreme making a 5m either hang on for dear life in the gusts or a bag of shit in the lulls. So I stay with all round kites and one board because they do everything pretty nicely from 14 knots to about 32 knots. Bluntly I can buy anything I want but been there, done that. Less is more.

* I also have a 15m Contra and Shinn King G 146 x 46 but haven't used them in over a year.

Return to “Kitesurfing”