Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk
Brand Affiliation: None

I'd Like a Removable Strut Kite

Postby Eltreato » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:57 pm

I've been thinking lately, after too many 10mph foil sessions where my 5 strut 12m kite has fallen out of the sky, it's time I get a dedicated foiling LEI. I really enjoy riding my 12m 5 strut kite with a twin tip in powered conditions, so I will be holding on to it for those low tide super shallow days where foiling isn't a great option for me. I am not thrilled about the prospect of buying another kite in the 11-12m size range just so that it is lighter for foiling. This got me thinking of how nice it would be to have one kite with a couple removable struts that I could leave on for twintip riding, and stash in the bag for foiling. I was thinking a three strut kite with removable first and third struts would be ideal. They would have their own separate bladders from the LEI and second strut, and could possibly velcro or snap on to the leading edge and canopy. I realize the fastening systems would add some weight, but the kite without the two struts would still be much lighter for light wind foiling than what I'm currently using or any normal three strut kite.

This would be a compromise kite for sure, it wouldn't have the greatest low or high ends, it wouldn't be the fastest turning or highest jumping kite, but it would save me the trouble of lugging around yet another kite. It would save me from a kite that falls out of the sky in lightwind foil sessions and doesn't flap like crazy in powered twin tip sessions.

Am I alone in wanting something like this?

Kite companies feel free to run with this idea, I don't need royalties, but I'd be happy to r&d it! :D

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: I'd Like a Removable Strut Kite

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Do you already own a smaller kite than a 12m? If not, a 9 or 10m LEI might be the ticket...I can ride my 9m Velocity on the foil in as low of winds as the kite will stay flying all the way up to 30 knots with the TT, it's very close to a 1 kite quiver and would be a good foundation for a 2 kite quiver if kite#2 was a very large foil kite for the sub-10 knot range.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster

Postby Eltreato » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:12 pm

I do, I have a five strut 9m, as the next size down in my quiver. It's super fun to foil with, but a bit small for me on the lightest of wind days.

chuckmaui
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Gong, Liquid Force
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby chuckmaui » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi,
Take a look at this company from France (Gong), they make a no strut light wind foiling kite which has a removable fiberglass batten to extend its use into higher wind ranges full range of sizes from 3- 17 mtrs excellent direct pricing,
https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... c4ATsQpfFA

and the batten option,
https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... o2zkZAYWkQ
gongkite160605910-cc47f.jpg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:43 pm

What about selling your "heavy" 12m2 and get a 3 strut lighter one for both foiling and TT as a compromise ?

Would work much better and be easier than a convertible (not yet existing) thing I would say :roll:

Or the OR Flite, it is praised for hanging in light wind, awesome for foiling, and can jump amazing on a TT too - no flapping being a 5 strut, and a good one :thumb:

I have serious doubts about everything "convertible" or two much of a compromise, as you just lose so much - that goes for kites and boards and everything...
There is a reason mutant boards and zipper kites and such, died so quickly again :wink:
Even bars - we are many that never use the option for two "lengths" that many got - and would rather have a simpler and cleaner bar instead :naughty:

8) PF

Eltreato
Frequent Poster

Postby Eltreato » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:43 pm

Chuck, that kite is interesting, thanks for posting it

Peter, maybe the Flite is worth another look, thanks!

chuckmaui
Rare Poster

Postby chuckmaui » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Hi Eltreato,
Here it is in a video showing the batten option, also their products are high quality, kites are made in same factory as major brands, and the pricing is amazing at 462 Euros ($491 US) including shipping if you live out of European union area, compare with major brand pricing it is quite a value, they have a just introduced streamlined online store. If you register and log in you can see pricing without VAT. They also make very innovative boards and full carbon prepreg foils.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... KmRMC-PrRw

chuckmaui
Rare Poster

Postby chuckmaui » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:33 pm

Not sure about that link, here is their Vimeo channel,

https://vimeo.com/gongsurfboards

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:19 am

Great videos of strutless kites, kitefoils and SUP foil riding by Patrice Guenole at GONGKITE website.
The strutless demo on the beach looks good!!

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:26 am

Return to “Hydrofoil”