Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Egypt

Postby Rufusz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Toby wrote:Here the official info from the hotel...no terror attack

Hotel Facebook post
Then WHAT is a terror attack? A suicide bombing with 100+ victims?

I agree with you that its still reasonably safe to visit Hurghada but in my book this was a terror attack, a pretty lame one but still a terror attack.

edit
Toby wrote:If you ask me, I still think Hurghada is safer than any European country now, eg France...
Holy shit you live in a parallel universe? :D

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:36 pm

Toby wrote:If you ask me, I still think Hurghada is safer than any European country now, eg France...
Holy shit you live in a parallel universe? :D
Agree

Mike27
Frequent Poster
Gear: naish
Has thanked: 0

Postby Mike27 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Darkside wrote:I personally have visited Egypt (hurghada el gouna makadi bay) 12 times since November 2011
And also have a property in hurghada, On many occasions with my partner and our children and at no point have I ever felt threatened intimidated or in fear

I think fear is the key word here, ie lack of accurate factual information creates confusion and fear
And our media outlets are masters of promoting inaccurate information which creates fear.
If you follow our governments advice 75 percent of the worlds country's have a terrorist threat and we shouldn't really travel anyplace

So in short we should all be on hyper alert for terrorist activity and we are all vunerable and should be frightend .?

Hmm because my biggest fear and threat to my way of life is slightly different here are just a few eg samples
20% vat
Rising gas bills
Rising electric bills
Rising fuel costs
The current state of our education system
The massive cuts in our nhs system
The abundance of legal high substances that are gripping and killing teenagers
Inflation
Food prices
Capital gains tax
Inheritance tax
Property prices
The gap within the rich and poor
The amount of people using food banks
The spiralling cost of unemployment

And the list could go on, so putting things into perspective, we are fed a lot of things by the media that we are told we should be worried in fear and very concerned about unfortunately the reality is right now sat in my kitchen writing this I have more chance of getting struck by a bolt of lightning than getting hurt by terrorists

Sad state of affairs when as kiters we are giving airspace to political spin

Ps not intending to upset anyone by my comments it's just how I feel
Hopefully you think by yourselve....glad to read someone that was not brainwashed ! :wink:

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:32 pm

Toby wrote:Sad news indeed.
And backing of from going there is exactly what they want...leading to more people without job who will follow them.
If you ask me, I still think Hurghada is safer than any European country now, eg France...
And Germany (Koln .....)

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:07 pm

I just received this email from The Breakers hotel in Soma Bay (which i might add was amazing in conjunction with 7bft Kitehouse). Clearly they are suffering from the lack of tourism which is really sad.

Dear Breakers friends,

in the last couple of days we have received emails from some of you, who seem to have been of a slightly anxious nature. Thus, we would like to give you a subjective view on the situation. We would like to be very honest and open here, in order to truly capture the state of mind of the Breakers and from us, the European and Egyptian staff:

The situation and atmosphere here in Somabay is quiet and peaceful. Our guests can enjoy their stay without any kind of interruptions.

There have not been any problems with the transfer from/to the airport in Hurghada either. As you know, there are many official and government-run checkpoints. After these, the private checkpoints of Somabay follow up: firstly, while entering the otherwise fenced-in bay, where the vehicle as well as its passengers are checked, and secondly, one more checkpoint per hotel entry. Additionally, the Breakers is under video surveillance and its terrain is furthermore guarded by security points, which are occupied 24/7.

Of course we have spoken to many European colleagues within Hurghada and Somabay the last couple of days, to hear their evaluation of it all as well. But all of them feel secure and are absolutely at ease too, so none of them thinks about leaving the country due to recent events.

Stefan himself, our General Manager, will bring his wife and (by then) 2,5 months old daughter to Somabay to live with him here. He would never even consider this if there would be the slightest possibility of any kind of endangerment.

This is accompanied by the difference in reports, statements and explanations of the situation in Hurghada, leadings us to fear an immediate media coverage, publishing assumptions without thorough fact-checking and further investigation, as in following reports the situation seems to differ from original announcements. We see the headlines in the international press with a disillusioned distance and favor the information we get on-site above the assessment of journalists in offices thousands of miles away. However, we would like to distance us from all kinds of speculations.

As for the official assessment, we would recommend the homepage of your country’s Foreign Ministry or the UK Government (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt) stating that, among other things, „ Over 900,000 British nationals visit Egypt every year. Most visits are trouble-free.”.

We hope this information helps you to evaluate the situation yourself and we would be more than happy to welcome you back to the Breakers. If you have any questions or are in need of more specific information, please feel free to contact us at any time!

The warmest and sunniest greetings from beautifully quiet Somabay and until hopefully soon!

WELCOME HOME

Yours dearly,
THE BREAKERS Team

Somabay, Red Sea, Egypt
Tel : +20 65 356 28 41
Fax : +20 65 356 28 40
E-Mail: sales.marketing@thebreakers-somabay.com "

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:47 pm

Soma Bay and El Gouna are well protected.

And if you have a transfer with a taxi or mini van, you won't be a target on the way to get there.
A bigger omnibus would be more of a target.

poools81
Frequent Poster
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m

Postby poools81 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:42 am

sucks always wanted to hit egypt and make a trip of it see the pyramids and hit the red sea! unfortunatly the terrorist have won and i wouldn't even think about risking it. Its great that some place is protected but to have to go through a million check points just to go kiteboarding sounds terrible. Feel horrible for the local and business people who have so much invested another trickle down effect of how terrorist effect everybody. hopefully one day I would feel safe enough to go but for now I would hate to be singled out by some isis pussy.

megrim
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alacati, Gokova, Kilyos
Favorite Beaches: Gokova
Gear: None

Postby megrim » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi,

We are at the 'water start' level of our progression and we want to continue to take courses in our honeymoon holiday in Hurghada. Before we were trained in Gokova and Alacati, Turkey.

I checked all the kite spots in Hurghada and I liked the long shallow water without waves, rocks and reefs and the constant wind. I liked Element in El Gouna and 7BFT in Soma Bay. Which one would you advice for us?

I will book the hotel by this decision. I did not like the spots in Central Hurghada. And did not liked the kitesafari concept, putting the kites on the boat and landing on a shallow spot ashore.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:51 pm

For beginners a shallow area is great for faster progression.

I advise Element in El Gouna.

Soma Bay 7 Bft is better if you are advanced. Or Soma Bay the former intercontinental hotel...don't remember the name, but it's a station from Peter Müller.

Breakers is a great hotel though in Soma Bay, highly recommended.

In El Gouna lots of options...but for honeymoon get a 5 star hotel, which is not that expensive, like Moevenpick...but do not kite at Moevenpick, take a tuck tuck to Element.

Keep us informed who it all went!

Enjoy!!

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster
Gear: Best TS

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Toby wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:51 pm
For beginners a shallow area is great for faster progression.

I advise Element in El Gouna.

Soma Bay 7 Bft is better if you are advanced. Or Soma Bay the former intercontinental hotel...don't remember the name, but it's a station from Peter Müller.

Breakers is a great hotel though in Soma Bay, highly recommended.

In El Gouna lots of options...but for honeymoon get a 5 star hotel, which is not that expensive, like Moevenpick...but do not kite at Moevenpick, take a tuck tuck to Element.

Keep us informed who it all went!

Enjoy!!
You earlier advised to go to Ras Sudr, where would you say the wind/spot is better? and what range of wind are we talking about?

Cheers,

Return to “Kitesurfing”