Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Riding without sunglasses

Forum for kitesurfers
vannibombonato
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Riding without sunglasses

Postby vannibombonato » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:45 pm

I've never used sunglasses, last season I started wearing a super duper polarized water repellent pair...will never ride without them now.
The only problem is that you end up looking like an idiot (or a Maori warrior if you prefer) with your face colors...but oh well, I ride with an helmet I guess I can take that as well...

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:53 pm

I am a raccoon 24/7/365. My sunglasses tan line never goes away even in the snow season when I am in goggles. It is like a tatoo now after 10 years in the wind and years before in a kayak.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:13 pm

From the World Health Organization:

The eye is recessed within its orbit and shielded by the brow ridge, the eyebrows and the eyelashes. Bright light activates the constriction of the pupil and the squinting reflex to minimize the penetration of the sun’s rays into the eye. However, the effectiveness of these natural defences in protecting against the dangers of UV radiation is limited under extreme conditions such as sunbed use or strong ground reflection from sand, water and snow. Acute effects of UV radiation exposure include photokeratitis and photoconjunctivitis. These inflammatory reactions are comparable to a sunburn of the very sensitive skin-like tissues of the eyeball and eyelids, and usually appear within a few hours of exposure. Both can be very painful, but are reversible and do not result in any long-term damage to the eye or vision. Extreme forms of photokeratitis are 'arc-eye' and 'snow blindness'.

Cataracts are the leading cause of blindness in the world. Proteins in the eye’s lens unravel, tangle and accumulate pigments that cloud the lens and eventually lead to blindness. Even though cataracts appear to different degrees in most individuals as they age, sun exposure, in particular exposure to UVB, appears to be a major risk factor for cataract development.

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Pterygium is commonly called "surfer's eye," you don't have to be a surfer or ever see the ocean to get a pterygium.
But being in bright sunlight for long hours — especially when you are on water, which reflects the sun's harmful UV rays — increases your risk.
eye.jpg
https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases ... -pterygium

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:41 pm

I guess it depends where you live and at what time of the day you're on the water. In Holland there's no need for them, might give some comfort for those sunset sessions but the sun isn't very bright late in the day anyway.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:54 pm

Where i ride it's usually a dust storm and have ridden with out glasses and felt i had done damage to my eyes. Ive done this multiple times. When its bright out i tend to squint a lot and get minor head aches. Just pay attention to your eyes. If riding makes them sore then it's probably good to protect them. I feel that I have done damage to my eyes Kiteboarding without glasses.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:14 pm

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:11 am

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 pm
abel wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:18 am
So far I don't feel any issues and the optometrist check, for my regular glasses, didn't change in the last years, so it seems all is OK.
My optometrist says you will not "feel" any issues because the damage is progressive and cumulative and eventually you will have "real" issues
He also says it does not have any effect on your regular glasses changing it's prescription
Might seem all OK but UV danger he says is there even on cloudy days
According to him people with younger eyes in their teens,twenties,thirties,early forties are not as sensitive to the sun's glare so they feel invincible
He says that once our crystalline lenses loses it's clarity from cumulative UV radiation the eyes will scatter the light of the sun and make it's glare less and less bearable
Slowing down that process is a very good thing for all kind of reasons that many have posted already

I wear contacts that block UV + expensive copper tinted (i don't like Gray it feels too dark) polarized wraparound shades
They have a non-reflective process on the back of the lenses to see very clear through them and are treated to repel water and oils on both sides

That sounds about right, I'm 55 and was skiing at Snowbird last week on a full sunshine day and even with my UV goggles was having trouble dealing with the glare, my kids were fine.
Sucks getting old..

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:43 am

Had pterygium removed already. I didn't let it grow to the point in the picture, it was just starting. The surgeon said if it happens again the second operation is more "messy" so I don't go out without sun glasses, period.
Last edited by marlboroughman on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:08 am

I'm planning on kiting without sunglasses when I turn 90, which might mean I will need pterygium surgery when I'm about 100-110. At that point I will also consider taking up BASE jumping, drunk driving and meth. If I live to be 120 I might even go for golf.

Until then I will probably keep wearing sunglasses for my Mexico, Texas, Caribbean and other tropical kitesurfing as well as my snowkiting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”