Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First Foil

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

First Foil

Postby matth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:08 am

After listening to you foil freaks for the past 2 years I have finally decided to join the world of endless joy and euphoria. At least that's the way you guys make it sound , so it better be good.

On a serious note I am trying to decide between the LF rocket Fish, Slingshot hoverglide, and Cab double agent. All three are entry level, durable, and have a short mast system for learning.

Both the LF and Cab have some nice improvements from 2016, and both are low aspect that get going in very light wind from what I read. The Slingshot I hear takes a little more wind but has more top end, but as a beginner low end is more important I would think.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: First Foil

Postby f2020 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:38 pm

The Double Agent is the worst foil I've ever tried. Slow, Whistling and not stable.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:09 pm

f2020 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:38 pm
The Double Agent is the worst foil I've ever tried. Slow, Whistling and not stable.
I have heard it whistles, sounds like it could be annoying. I do believe the 2017 has an increased fuselage, which helps stability.

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Cabrinha Double Agent is better than Liquid Force for sure.

I would go with MHL Lift and fork out an extra 500. Great foil to learn and progress on, with any of the three you mentioned you will be looking for an upgrade within 6 months (if not sooner). MHL is also much better for resale.

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:10 pm

And save your money and go straight to a long mast.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Had my first flights recently on a friend's slingshot foil with short mast. After riding on the water and doing short hops, I could foil 10-20 seconds at a time (feels like forever flying in the sky, even when it's really 10 seconds flying 8-10 inches over the waves), no problem to go upwind or downwind!
The whole session was maybe 20 minutes long, the setup makes learning very easy.

I think I crashed and came off the board twice, not very hard. Most touchdowns were momentary. I think this would have been much different with a long mast. At least for the start, short mast seems worth it. The slingshot short masts are under $100 each I think, no big deal.

Added bonus, easier to ride without damage in shallow water. Short mast is a good option.
Last edited by BWD on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:38 pm

from everything i have seen, save some more money, so you dont have to double spend in the end. moses, zeeko, alpinefoil, levitas, and many others make some great entry foils that you will have a hard time outgrowing.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:39 pm

matth wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:09 pm
f2020 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:38 pm
I have heard it whistles, sounds like it could be annoying. I do believe the 2017 has an increased fuselage, which helps stability.
I've ridden two DA, one whistled constantly the other was silent. Both were first gen IIRC. Slow and a little power hungry but no bad habits. Fun in the surf.

Axis has a new foil coming out soon and it'll be the same price as the Slingshot but is, IMO, better for freeride.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:07 pm

I have never really used a short mast, but this mirrors my feelings on them - from the Axis website

"Longer masts are the trend in racing as well as it gives you more room to keep the foil in the water at higher speeds and in choppier water."

Longer fuselage's allow more control. I can use 1 kite size too big for the wind with a longer fuselage. But I still cannot backroll the longer fuselage like I can the short one.

Personally, I like aluminum on my foil. Durability is way better for me than super high performance. I hit fish, sticks, the occasional log, and even the bottom with my foil all the time. There are some places I foil that I would just not want carbon anywhere in the foil assembly. Or I just would not foil there if a carbon wing set was my only option.

Going high performance is good advice, but stay with aluminum.

Does anyone know of a racing competitive aluminum/glass foil kit?

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Why on earth would a beginner want to get a high performance foil? If you are just free riding there is no need to go very fast.

Return to “Kitesurfing”