Forum for kitesurfers
holmes
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Postby holmes » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:21 am

I'm heading to Isla Mujeres, Mexico in Feb. and I was wondering if anyone had been there or heard about the kite scene down there. I'm new to riding but want to give it a try. I have all my own eqiupment and just wonder if its worth bringing it.

Let me know any feed back.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:56 am

I kited at resort in Cancun which isn't very far away. The wind was like clockwork when I was there (May2000), coming up at 10 every morning. Email Andre Santacruz, I think he's in the vicinity.

SENDIT!

rolltide
Frequent Poster

Re: Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Postby rolltide » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:19 pm

holmes wrote: I'm new to riding but want to give it a try.
There is limited access in and around the Cancun area due to the lack of open area to launch.
I would suggest contacting Ikarus Kiteboarding and get dialed in to some lessons during your visit.
http://www.ikaruskiteboarding.com
There is a nice spot south of Cancun in Puerto Morelos where you can learn with little hazard to yourself and others.

holmes
Rare Poster

Postby holmes » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:15 pm

Thanks for the Responses, I'm going to be on the Island for the week and Don't plan to go to the main land much.

I'm new with kiting on water but we ride snowboards on the frozen lake. So I'm not really needing a lesson.

Its hard to find info on the Island and its sports. The beaches there look wide open so I think it will be safe.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:28 am

hey, havent been there for a while, but i think playa norte (north beach) should be great! The island is beautiful you will really love it!
Let us know how it goes

holmes
Rare Poster

Postby holmes » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:29 pm

Andres Santacruz, Will you be in the area at all? Is there anyone on the island to kite with? Is there a shop or lessons there just in case?

Let me know
Thanks

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:53 pm

i won't be there, i live in mexico city, which is thousands of miles away. I don't know anyone who kitesurfs on the island, i doubt there are any locals. The closest shop is not so close because of the ferry, and then 50 minute drive to playa del carmen. The shop in playa is run by foka and adriana, http://www.ikaruskiteboarding.com . They may know someone, good luck, you should get some good wind in february

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

Postby chirojoseph » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:55 pm

ok heres the skoop. been riding this area for 3 years. Isla mujeres has ONE big beach on the north side of island..so N, NEast are the only winds you can have clean there. LOTS of people on the beach and the water is quite shallow right in front so LOTS of boats just drop anchor there and plenty of people snorkeling, jetskis, etc.

MAYBE if you go to one of the resort/beach clubs on the west side of island (that which faces the mainland of cancun hotel zone) you can find decent spot to launch with an EAST wind..maybe southeast too.

It costs VERY little to take hte ferry across and kite on the mainland NORTH of cancun in area called "punta sam."

give a call to the IKARUS shop in PlayadelCarmen for info where the local crew is kiting when you arrive. chances are, in isla mujeres youll be by yourself cause we cant be bothered to cross the ferry to kite there when we have tons of other spots we can just drive too. were lazy but, ya know, been there, done that, NEXT spot please;)

KYROjoe

holmes
Rare Poster

Postby holmes » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:18 pm

KYROjoe

Thanks for the input, We are staying on the west side at a private resort so that may be the best bet. Like I said, I'm new to the water flying so I don't want tons of other people around when I'm learning.

should be a good time and place to learn, Ice is a little different but I have a huge wakeboard background so I'm looking forward to bringing what I know to the water.

Later
Chris

holmes
Rare Poster

Postby holmes » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:49 am

Well I'm back from my trip to Isla Mujeres and I was supprised to see that no kiters were on the island. I did bring my little trainer kite and flew that on the North Beach near the Avalon Reef Club. I think the beach there would be a great launching place because of the way the beach and lagoon meet and creat a sand bar. I will for sure be bringing my kite next year. The wind was whipping hard so I want a small kite so fly.

You would for sure have to be carefull of boats and swimmers if you were to ride near this area.

I was also spending a lot of my time at a Private beach club on the west side. I saw a few windsurfers out there and the wind was steady and on shore.

That may be my other option next year.

Return to “Kitesurfing”