Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Long Island Kiteboarding

Forum for kitesurfers
TetraNine
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cupsogue, Dune Rd West, Jetty 4, Moriches Bay, Seatuck Cove, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Rincon, Puerto rico
Gear: Beginner Kite
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Long Island Kiteboarding

Postby TetraNine » Wed May 03, 2017 3:46 am

Hello just joined the community today. I am in the process of purchasing a beginner kiteboard set to start learning for summer. I just recently moved back home to long island as I spend my winters up snowboarding in Killington. Have to fufill the huge itch and I feel kiteboarding is just that. If there's anyone around the island that's just starting out or have been riding that want to meet up at a spot lmk! Also anyone in the community that can give pointers on an entry level kite it would be greatly appriented! Looking forward to hearing from you all and start the progression of learning to kiteboard!

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Re: Long Island Kiteboarding

Postby ELI » Wed May 03, 2017 2:42 pm

There are a couple groups in Eastern LI ,one on the No.fork./Jamesport +, 1 on the so.shore ,west of the canal . 1 on the so.shore east of canal to E.Hampton. ,and 1 E.Hampton to montauk. Depending on wind and swell + time and day of week there is mixing. Travel + traffic being the issue . SH/Sag.Harb./EH will be having a get together some evening this month ,will PM you info. We have instructor with us ,and used kites ,boards for sale among us . There is a swap at Hamptons watersports 5/13. Your weight and height ? Taken lessons ?

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed May 03, 2017 4:55 pm

Join Facebook group "Northeast #kitelifecrew", its pretty active and many people kite longisland.
There is a yahoo group too for people who Kite east of Huntington.

I hit mostly everything west of West Meadow and Smith point. Occasionally I go to Napeague/ hamptons area in summer when it's windier over there.

TetraNine
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cupsogue, Dune Rd West, Jetty 4, Moriches Bay, Seatuck Cove, Shinnecock

Postby TetraNine » Wed May 03, 2017 4:58 pm

would love to meet up with a group, I am very familiar with all these locations and live close by. I just bought the 10m wave sst 2016 slingshot with 145cm wide board. I am 6'1" 185lbs 24 years old. Planning on using my own kite for lessons but don't have a ton of $$ for exsessive lessons. looking to take a few while attempting with a group to help guide.

ELI
Frequent Poster

Postby ELI » Wed May 03, 2017 5:27 pm

Good thing I'm doing paperwork today. You will need a 12m at least . No pointers on TT from me ,I'm SB oriented . Looks to be you are in W.Hampton ? and with Rincon a surfer ? I get over to Shinn. ,Ponq. + depending on swell and breeze . I'm shooting to organize group for 5/12 or 5/19 ? I will PM you . Swap at Hampton water sports 5/13 for used gear . I also will ck .w/group about 12m . ***AirConnolly if your reading this you are invited also. will be in contact

TetraNine
Rare Poster

Postby TetraNine » Thu May 04, 2017 2:11 am

Anything wrong with the 10m? I can swap it out for the 12 really quick. I felt my area had avg of 15-25 mph winds but if a 12 would be more sufficient i will grab that instead...

I bartend for the summer so my days are limited to midweek sessions. This monday or tuesday looks good.

ELI
Frequent Poster

Postby ELI » Thu May 04, 2017 4:00 am

I am about 175-180lbs. w/wetsuit generally ,w/a SB . Used a 12m 35%+ of the time last spring through fall here on LI. I go 5-7-9-12m Cabs. S/B's ,a 12M Reo for surf and have a 14m but really never use it , I have multiple interests that keep me busy on those days its lite. Others may disagree but I would say get a 12m . reach the limit on that then buy smaller. Any reason you bought the wave sst ? I don't know it well but for summer winds and learning you might do better with something else. In a perfect world with out our side on wind and short period swell I would have a dedicated surf kites Ozone Reos or Cab. Drifters but that's not LI. In the summer 12m and larger are popular unless you are on a foil . It looks like 5/12 might be the get together . will keep you posted

ELI
Frequent Poster

Postby ELI » Thu May 04, 2017 12:48 pm

I checked recent review of new Sling SST in mag. seems fine for you ,would consider 12m though.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Thu May 04, 2017 1:04 pm

Soon you will need a 12m from October to May/June you need a 9 or 10. Given the time of year and that you are a beginner you won't go out in more than 25 knots so a 12m seems more appropriate, not that you can't learn in small kite but wind is often gusty when it's over 25.

After a few lessons it's acceptable to go on your own, but make sure you ask which spot are safe for beginner and have people watch over you.

On surfboard l local buddies rarely use 12m, over 18 knots they are usually in 9m. I guess depends on preference.

AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot

Postby AirConnolly » Thu May 04, 2017 2:40 pm

I would suggest a 12M or larger kite, especially if you're riding a twin tip and mainly down here during the summer months. I'm 190 lbs and usually ride a twin tip with 12m or 15m in the summer. I am starting to experiment with a strapless surfboard, but still early stages. I don't have experience riding a foil, but when the wind is sub 12 knots here, kiting isn't that fun. Flying a large kite (15m+) kind of sucks because half the sessions end with the wind dying and a long walk. I feel good flying my 12m until the low 20s (knots), but the sweet spot is probably 16-17 knots. September/October the average wind speed picks up, and sometimes I get to use my 9m. There is nothing worse than watching the forecast, planning to get out and kite on your day off, getting to the beach, and not having enough power to ride. I wouldn't suggest a 14m or 15m kite or a dedicated light wind kite at this point, but think a 12m would get you on the water a lot more.

I'm on the North Fork, and mainly ride in the Sound, Peconic Bay, Shinnecock Bay. My work schedule is flexible until mid July, so PM me, and we can try to link up.

***Eli - looking forward to the group meet up. In the process of planning my wedding in June, so schedule is a bit crazy this month, but should be able to make it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”