Eckhardt
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiden, wijk aan zee
Style: Big air and rookie waverider
Gear: Ozone edge 11 and 8
Bandit S 9m

Re: PIQ North Kiteboarding

Postby Eckhardt » Sun May 14, 2017 11:23 am

That is some nice feedback Kjorn, I am convinced. Especially since I am in the learning process of really boosting so instant feedback is welcome.

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Guttorm » Fri May 19, 2017 8:12 am

Wery Irritating, to be absolutely sure I put the Piq board mount the right way I turned the Piq on, saw the letters and connected the boardmount, then I paired it for the first time with my phone and the letters are now written the other way. f***

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Fri May 19, 2017 8:46 am

Well regarding the PIQ mount direction - even mr Jerome got it wrong ;) However there is a manual and everything is nicely presented there.

I got the bunny ears BT thing once. Sometimes it is tough to pair piq with phone to SYNC. I found out that it goes quite ok when piq is charging.

The device is nice and imho gives good results. The screen display is awesome compared to woo (which has none). Which btw has awesome ladderboards and community unlike piq :( which is (imho) a better device. I hope PIQ will get there.

And of course kickers give you easy and delicate boost compared to flat water ;) you dont need a PIQ to know that :D

Eckhardt
Medium Poster
Bandit S 9m

Postby Eckhardt » Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 pm

First session with the piq, unfortunatly i was underpowered with the 10 on 17 knots. But loved the direct feedback. It was surprisingly easy to read.
I think it doesnt count all the backrolls though...

Eckhardt
Medium Poster
Bandit S 9m

Postby Eckhardt » Sat May 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Had my 2nd session today. I see the point made about the dashboard, that could be way more easier. I'd like to see the rotations per jump aswell, and i have the feeling the rotations are not all shown. Like it has to be more then 360 to actually count it. Same for double rotations

tavis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kanaha
Gear: 6.5m solo, 8m wave sst, 10m lithium, 12m envy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tavis » Sat May 20, 2017 7:33 pm

First impression of the PIQ from North compared to Woo sensor. The Piq registered 5 more jumps than the woo and report my highest jump to 19.7 ft whereas the woo reported the highest jump at 20.3 ft. The onboard display of the PIQ is really nice although hard to see in the bright sun or while the board is moving around while riding. Easy to shade the display with your hand or slow down if you really need to read it. The PIQ app is more polished than the woo app and shows more statistics like averages and rotations. The charger is a very well thought out USB/battery pack charger device. It doesn't require you to select the spot at which you had the session either so one less step for saving your session. It also doesn't require you to start your session as it figures it out for you. Hard to believe that the PIQ costs less by almost $45 too.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:32 pm

kjorn wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 12:36 am
PIQ flashing icon -- or the bunny ears of DOOM as I call it:

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Does anyone know how to fix this without having to pair it with the PIQ app? I don't use a phone, I use my Samsung tablet which I don't take to the beach. When the bunny ears of DOOM happen at the beach .... wtf ... how do you fix it? Why is it happening?
I had an email from PIQ about this issue:

If PIQ Robot is not used for a long period of time the RTC is reset and PIQ Robot should be paired with the app again.
So when you see the beacon flashing icon on PIQ Robot screen, launch North and PIQ app hit the PIQ Robot icon and pair it.

if you have not used your PIQ Robot for a long period of time (approximately 20 days) and you are planning to kite in the nearest time (next day or later today), when you are home just launch the app and turn ON PIQ Robot and check the PIQ Robot icon in the app: if it's green - ok, if red or orange - pair PIQ Robot with the app.
Last edited by kjorn on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:28 pm

FWIW, my PIQ and my buddy's started leaking. Seems like the O-ring doesn't seal properly. Once it gets water in it it goes dead. I've been able to revive it twice by applying a vacuum to all sides, and over the button. Also clean all contacts with alcohol. Have stopped using it until I can find a better O-ring.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:24 pm

ozonelevel wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:28 pm
FWIW, my PIQ and my buddy's started leaking. Seems like the O-ring doesn't seal properly. Once it gets water in it it goes dead. I've been able to revive it twice by applying a vacuum to all sides, and over the button. Also clean all contacts with alcohol. Have stopped using it until I can find a better O-ring.
have you wiped all the sand off it? You can get O rings off ebay, not sure what size the PIQ one is, but if you measured it you may be able to get a replacement. Or contact PIQ. They answer emails pretty quickly support@piq.com

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:45 pm

kjorn wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:24 pm

have you wiped all the sand off it? You can get O rings off ebay, not sure what size the PIQ one is, but if you measured it you may be able to get a replacement. Or contact PIQ. They answer emails pretty quickly support@piq.com
Yes, washed it, dried and applied O-ring gel. Still leaks. Have requested support for replacement O-rings, waiting on response.

Return to “Kitesurfing”