A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kitet
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Moses Comet or T60?

Postby kitet » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:45 am

Which board do you recommend for someone who is confident foiling, likes to go fast but is still working on tacking and foiling jibes? I should also say that I ride in a fairly windy place with moderate chop. I'm leaning towards the Comet but am wondering if it will delay my progression on tacking and foiling jibes.

Here's my take on both boards from online research:

T60 - more volume and wider, so better in lighter wind and probably more forgiving. I worry that it will "catch often" in the chop and that I won't be able to edge upwind as hard as I want. I also wonder if the extra volume will make it cumbersome in carving and playing around in a freestyle ride mode.

Comet - narrower, less volume and more aggressive chinned rails. Will this board be harder to learn my tacks and foiling jibes? I'm not a beginner at foiling but am still working on these transitions.

Thank you for the input.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Moses Comet or T60?

Postby evan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:20 am

My friend has the bigger sized Comet and that one works best at high speed touchdowns. With the slower ones the big chinned rails makes the board steer in another direction as the foil as soon as you fully hit the water making you crash more than a board that is more forgiving on a touchdown. But maybe the normal size is better at it as his bigger Comet board.

happywizz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen (The Netherlands)
Style: Foil wave, foil race
Gear: Moses, Peter Lynn
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby happywizz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi kitet,

I'm in the same situation as you and I bought the T60. Just this weekend I had a kitefoil race and from what I have seen and heard the Comet is much more difficult to handle then the T60. The T60 is excellent in waves and doesn't punish you if you are doing a touch down transition. The other racer with the Comet (medium size) said that the Comet is only perfect if you are able to do foiling transitions. He said its for experts only. Personally I prefer the looks of the Comet, its a sleek little machine. But comparing both boards the T60 as some of his looks though and I'm really happy with it. It suits my intermediate skills.

Cheers, Frank

kitet
Rare Poster

Postby kitet » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:25 am

Thank you for the replies. Any other input from Moses' riders?

mcfly777
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Coyote Point, Half Moon Bay Half Moon Bay (SF Bay Area)
Gear: Kite + board

Postby mcfly777 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:10 pm

One thing that called my attention is that the Comet has rails whereas the T60 does not. Tuning the placement of the foil for your style of riding might make the Comet better. Also the T60 has cushioning whereas the Comet has grippy material on the hard surface. For my feet I'd prefer the softer material (of course you can add a pad later though)

Leo

mcfly777
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Coyote Point, Half Moon Bay Half Moon Bay (SF Bay Area)
Gear: Kite + board

Postby mcfly777 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:13 pm

And if you're open to mix/match with other brands, look at this pre-order from Levitaz. https://levitaz.com/shop/boards/2017-levitaz-raze/

kitet
Rare Poster

Postby kitet » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:36 am

Gunnar, aka resident foil expert :D

What's your take on these 2 boards?

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Two good foilboards.

T60 is a good option for any type of foiling including racing.
Its ease of use makes it a good option to learn maneuvers and also to ride safe while racing to be fast overall. Which sometimes is more important than ultimate performance gear alone.

The Comet board is narrower and lighter, which makes it able to be leaned over more before touching water, more reactive too, which can be an advantage as also a disadvantage, depending on riding level and conditions.
It likes to be kept flying mostly but does not care much about fast touchdowns.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil/moses

Return to “Hydrofoil”