Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who has ridden the LF low aspect wings and switched to mid aspect wings?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Who has ridden the LF low aspect wings and switched to mid aspect wings?

Postby danidr » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:23 am

Hi!!

Basically, anyone here went from the foil fish/rocket foil to the happy foil, or changed the low aspect wings to the mid aspect wings? I'd like to know:
- If they're much difficult to ride and gybe than the low aspect wings.
- If they're much faster, as in a completely different league.
- How's the low end on light winds.
- If the mid aspect tail wing can be used with the low aspect wing, and if there's any benefit to it.

The reason for this is because I'm already progressing with my foil fish setup and can basically stay foiling 95% of the time going both upwind and downwind, and would like to upgrade my gear a bit. I'm also doing some gybes, with very low amount of success per try, so I don't wanna change to the other wings if this will make it more difficult to keep practicing and improving this aspect.

Thank you!!

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Re: Who has ridden the LF low aspect wings and switched to mid aspect wings?

Postby Eltreato » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:14 am

I have gone from the stock wings to the Stringyfoil wings like the ones Greg from Boardriding Maui uses in his vids. I am likely not as good as you but can tell you this based on my limited experience:
-They seem no more difficult to ride, if anything slightly easier, with less pitching. I don't jibe yet but stuck my first toeside transitions on them
-Definitely faster but not terrifyingly fast, a nice freeride speed for sure, I am not left wanting more speed.
-They don't get you up at quite as low a speed, the stock wings are very good for that. I find a quick pump or two of the board though helps get them up quick in low wind.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:18 am

I know one, Peter, who has made this exact switch, and my take on this is, based on what I see when we ride, and have ridden it myself (but not the low AR one):

No they are not more difficult to ride, but you need a tad more speed in jibes of course, but not much difference really, compared to other foil brands.
They are faster yes, I wont call it a different league, but you are not in doubt.
Low end almost the same, but require you have technique to get up foiling so the apparent wind and lift kicks in more than on the low aspect wing.
I dont know what you mean by mid aspect tail wing (stabiliser), but if it is smaller then yes, it can be used with the low aspect wing and it will be more lively in general and in turns - this can be a benefit but also a disadvantage if you prefer stability over livelyness :D

Here he is out in the spring with the Happy Foil (when water was cold) an awesome day, wind around 11 knots

8) PF

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 am

No way is that wind 11 knots, that's 17+ knots. He's boosting decent and the kite is whipping fast and the kite on the beach is flapping too

Not that it really matters either way in this case, there's just way too many BS light wind claims on this forum it drives me crazy

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 am

RadDrDuke wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 am
No way is that wind 11 knots, that's 17+ knots. He's boosting decent and the kite is whipping fast and the kite on the beach is flapping too

Not that it really matters either way in this case, there's just way too many BS light wind claims on this forum it drives me crazy
lol

Let me guess -- you aren't a foiler?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:55 am

junebug wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 am
RadDrDuke wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 am

lol

Let me guess -- you aren't a foiler?

Ha haa, you are right junebug, typical comment from a non foiler :D

They don't understand that for a good rider just under average weight short lines in cooler spring weather, 11 knots (with a 12 m2) is NOT light wind :naughty:

Later we both made an error 10 minutes apart, and had to drift a mile to land (we were on a narrow small sand bank "island" out in the middle with perfectly smooth wind), as relaunch was totally impossible in this wind with "normal" kites, but every foiler knows this :-?
When we came to solid ground again, we relaunched and rode on :D

If it was 17 knots I would be on max a 6 m2 and relaunch easy :rollgrin:

We don't have to convince others, it is their loss they don't get it and do it :wink:

Related, it is funny thinking about how many who also called the 6 knots riding for BS not that long ago, and today everyone knows it is possible :thumb:

8) PF

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:47 am

I started with Foil Fish then bought a HoverGlide, and have ridden an Access 5.0.

HG likes to cruise at a higher speed. Low speed riding is possible but its stall is more aggressively nose up and slightly higher speed than the LF. It's also more work to go edge to edge and really wants to go in a straight line.

Very short ride on the Access; felt that it rolled easier than the HG and had about the same low to cruising speed range as the HG . . .

So it depends on the wing. Higher AR like to go faster, no surprise there. You'll notice when you downloop and gybe that it's a lot easier to ride out the board speed you generate and just carve it upwind again.

I'm going for a lower AR wing again. I'm more interested in playing in waves and carving around than I am in speed . . .

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:25 am

I foil, I'm not arguing you can't ride in 11 knots, that's just not 11 knots. Again, Not that it matters, sorry for hijacking the thread.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:11 am

Once you can foil on the Liquid Force you can ride most hydrofoils. Higher performance foils are really not a lot more difficult.

The LF foil is an entry level product that does the job and then most people will want to graduate to something with better performance. But don't just upgrade the wing, be sure to upgrade the fuselage, mast, and board too. Otherwise you are just putting a new front tire on your tricycle while all the other kids have moved on to bicycles. (OK that's probably too harsh an analogy but I'm just trying to make a point.. in a lighthearted way.)

:wink: CG

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:39 am

I think the core of the question is - "besides all the cool features of a new foil am I going to miss something?"
My answer to that is "yes, you will". You'll be missing lowend, cruising at low speeds in lightest of the winds. You'll be missing those slow, lazy transitions. If you don't race I don't think that top speed and fast transitions would compensate for that loss.
It feels really weird - you can get a smoother, prettier, lighter foil and it won't perform as good for lightwind. The "Harrier VTOL jet" transition from pure reflecting water down to actually flying is a weird sensation. I personally am keeping an eye on larger Liftfoils wings which might do the job.

Return to “Hydrofoil”