Forum for kitesurfers
Random
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Europe with kids?

Postby Random » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:05 pm

What recommendations for a trip to Europe for 10 days with 2 little ones (under 3).

Would like to have some kitesurfing but don't need to kite all day every day, a couple of hours every day or two is enough. Ideally a nice beach safe for young ones (i.e. shallow) and ideally other activities for them.

Any suggestions?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Re: Europe with kids?

Postby downunder » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:38 am

From where about you're coming?

A lot of Americans are going to Croatia, look for Ashley Colburn vid's "Whow! Croatia" and such, you'll be stoked...

I would suggest river Neretva, quite shallow, safe, stunning scenery, food, etc
If you are on the Woo, look for Bol/Brac (Croatia) and Mamaia (Romania) last month scores (June '17) by Enache Popp from the US. Maybe even contact him.

Good luck.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:02 am

El Médano, Tenerife, might do it. Rent a car, check out the island. There's a nice beach, lapping small waves, sand to build really interesting castles....

A bit on the warm side, perhaps. But that goes for Croatia, too. I am in Albania now...just spent a week in Croatia. Croatian beaches (Adriatic sea) are very crowded, wasn't too impressed. But that's personal. Drove through Neretva, looked stunning indeed. Didn't bring my gear, so didn't really check it out, but is in an amazing valley indeed.

El Médano would be easier, travelwise. May through to September will give you plenty wind.
Last edited by or6 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:13 am

I've been to Naxos island in Greece for total of 8 weeks over 3 years with my wife and son when he was 1-2-3 years. Down at Mirkly Vigla there's a kitesurfing beach on North side of peninsula, then 10 min walk to South side in lee and calm water and beach. Restaurants on both beaches. Thus was 10 years ago, quiet place. Under 3 years you only need some simple beach toys. There were lots of local and visiting families with kids on lee shore. Bring a sun tent.
Don't go in late July august, too many windsurfers. ( 10 years ago). Other spots have opened up further south. June early July is best. Or in September.

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot

Postby bri7 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:28 am

Hey Tom how are you doing that trip to Naxos with young kids

Random
Frequent Poster

Postby Random » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks for the replies. Not a huge fan of the Canaries, and I think El Medano is overrated for kitesurfing (having been there) but it is a nice, easy sleepy village which could work.

Naxos sounds potential... Any other ideas?

bri7
Medium Poster

Postby bri7 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:06 pm

I've done a few holidays now in Sardinia, the kite spots are ok but you will need to hire a car to get to them. Circa 70-90 Euro per day depending on what part of the island you are on.

Difficult with young kids and other non kiting half as you're looking for somewhere with wind but secluded for the kids etc. Difficult balance. Invariably I will sort the wife and kids out with what they want and hire a car to get to kite spot. Obviously my wife is cool with me heading out for 1/2 day to go kiting, so maybe factor that discussion in advance of booking somewhere. ;-)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:15 pm

bri7 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:28 am
Hey Tom how are you doing that trip to Naxos with young kids
Not sure what your question is. When my boy was 1 yr, my wife and son and I flew to Sardinia directly from Copenhagen, then taxi to ferry terminal on Sardinia , then 2+ hr ferry to Naxos, then we rented a car and drove 30 km to MV. Next year same way we took a taxi to from Harbor on NaxosMV. On way back we sometimes have to spend a night on Sardinia to get flight.
My wife hates ferries, so avoid long ferry from Athens, plus requires overnight in Athens both ways.

Travelling with 1-3 year old is easy. Now he is 12 and has all kinds of opinions... :o

bremorf
Rare Poster
Style: Strapless kook
Gear: North Neo 5,7,9
Slingshot Angry Swallow
North Nugget

Postby bremorf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Kremasti on Rhodes has been treating the family and I pretty well over the last two weeks. Wind for a 9 or 12 almost everyday over two weeks. No wetsuit required. Best for intermediates.

bri7
Medium Poster

Postby bri7 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi Tom yeah that was the info I was after , I've gone via Athens, it is a trek and my kids are 5 now . Sardinia sounds like more of a plan , cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”