Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Slingshot wave Sst Self Launch

Postby petato2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:46 am

Hi all
I am into kitesurf since years.

If there are other kiters around I always ask for assisting Launch, but in many ocassions I do need to Self Launch (like sailing first time in the morning or on a working date where there isaround no one around)

I Selflaunch direct from the back of the kite, just putting some tension on the lines and walking to the wind with that tension. Never had a problem with this method.

I am now buying a Slingshot Wave Sst, and I learnt that it tends to nose up while laying in the beach. Thus I will need to use a sand bag to avoid the kite flying away, and cannot self launch as usual.

Any of you guys experienced this with the SST (or other kite that tends ti nose up)?

If so I would apreciatte your advice.

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Re: Slingshot wave Sst Self Launch

Postby Mitaka » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:55 am

When I self launch in higher winds I put my surfboard on the leading edge. When I pull the lines to start the self launch the board just slips away and releases the kite.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Mitaka wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:55 am
When I self launch in higher winds I put my surfboard on the leading edge. When I pull the lines to start the self launch the board just slips away and releases the kite.
I've had my surfboard flip and land right on top of the leading edge with the fins down, cutting right through the canopy, leading edge and bladder. I never put my boards on top of my kites anymore, especially in high winds. There's no absolutely no need to do this if there's sand around.

@petato2
Yes, I have an SST 12m. And it WILL launch by itself when on the beach. Pointless design in my opinion as it never does that on the water, NOT ONCE. Yet its done it on multiple occasions on land for me. I use a sandbag to launch/land all of the time. It's fine on its edge but if you have sand around make sure to put A LOT of it on top of this kite.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:50 pm

norcom wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:10 pm
Mitaka wrote:
I've had my surfboard flip and land right on top of the leading edge with the fins down, cutting right through the canopy, leading edge and bladder. I never put my boards on top of my kites anymore, especially in high winds. There's no absolutely no need to do this if there's sand around.

@petato2
Yes, I have an SST 12m. And it WILL launch by itself when on the beach. Pointless design in my opinion as it never does that on the water, NOT ONCE. Yet its done it on multiple occasions on land for me. I use a sandbag to launch/land all of the time. It's fine and stable while launching on the side with an anchor. On land if you have sand around make sure to put A LOT of it on top of this kite.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Mitaka wrote:

@petato2
Yes, I have an SST 12m. And it WILL launch by itself when on the beach. Pointless design in my opinion as it never does that on the water, NOT ONCE. Yet its done it on multiple occasions on land for me. I use a sandbag to launch/land all of the time. It's fine and stable while launching on the side with an anchor. On land if you have sand around make sure to put A LOT of it on top of this kite.
[/quote]

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Postby Mitaka » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:41 pm

norcom wrote:
Mitaka wrote:
The wind has never ever lifted my board. I always put it fins down, berried in the sand. :D
And I am talking about smaller kites (smaller leading edge diameter), my biggest kite is 9m. Usually my friends will use 12 m in winds when securing the kite is not necessary at all. You must be heavy guy if you have to secure a 12m wave kite.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:50 pm

I have been launching with my board on the kite as well for years on & off and have never had the board flip onto the kite or flip at all. In my experience it is a great way to self launch. Others may have different experiences but I will continue to do it this way and think it would work well for the SST.
Maybe it depends on how much of the board is onto the kite to keep the angle of the tail lower and shallower into the wind?

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Mitaka wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:41 pm
norcom wrote:
Mitaka wrote:
The wind has never ever lifted my board. I always put it fins down, berried in the sand. :D
And I am talking about smaller kites (smaller leading edge diameter), my biggest kite is 9m. Usually my friends will use 12 m in winds when securing the kite is not necessary at all. You must be heavy guy if you have to secure a 12m wave kite.
It happened to my 9m and it was during a squall that was passing through. I didn't bury my board in sand though, it was just lying on top of the kite. Completely lifted it up and flipped the board just as I was looking at it thinking "wow, it's blowing I should probably move the board off". I don't even put my board upwind of the kite now. You guys can do whatever you want with your gear though. :D

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Has thanked: 0

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:38 pm

I have a shopping bag half full of sand , I laid the bag on the leading edge and one of the corners of the bag hanging of the edge. I pull hard when I am ready to start walking to edge of the window. The bag wolud fall. I will make a video this Saturday. cheers

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Mitaka wrote:
That's what I do, I put my board lengthways fins outwards at 45 degrees against the leading edge.

Return to “Kitesurfing”