Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Your worst kitesurf injury ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Your worst kitesurf injury ?

Postby Peert » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:41 pm

Worst injury?
Some scratches on the head due to a bottom headfirst touchdown in 1,20 meters of water. Unintentional double backroll kiteloop gone wrong...

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Has thanked: 0

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:16 am

I busted up my right shoulder 4 months ago and I'm finally seeing some improvement as I am swimming again. I'm a little concerned it isn't going to make it back to 100%, but I'm hopeful as I am about 90% healed.

I was boosting on my second hand 2013 14m NRG in 22mph winds and as I redirected the kite just prior to apex something snapped and I went right shoulder first into the water from about 25ft up. I wrangled the kite up not having a clue what went wrong and got to shore quickly due to the pain in the shoulder. My bridle snapped from pulley wear and tear.

INSPECT your bridles, they are covered in a black liner, but underneath they are just regular flying lines. There is a cost to buying cheap equipment sometimes, and I learned that the hard way. I since replaced both sides of my 14m NRG and both side of my 16m NRG with dyneema line and a new pulley.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:31 am

Peert wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:41 pm
Worst injury?
Some scratches on the head due to a bottom headfirst touchdown in 1,20 meters of water. Unintentional double backroll kiteloop gone wrong...
in NC near jockey's ridge a guy did that a little worse and died, same year I had a boost gone wrong and wrenched my toe at the same spot.
Never been the same, hurts after every long session, years later. Made me lose the straps, mostly.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:52 am

Poor old Robby Naish just recovered from his broken pelvis kiting - and has now just gone and broken his foot kiting! He can join my 2 in a row club... :-0 #suxsobad

https://www.facebook.com/RobbyNaishUS1111/

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:13 am

BWD wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:31 am
Peert wrote:
Worst injury?
in NC near jockey's ridge a guy did that a little worse and died, same year I had a boost gone wrong and wrenched my toe at the same spot.
Never been the same, hurts after every long session, years later. Made me lose the straps, mostly.
I realized right away it could have ended there.
First thing I did when I resurfaced was checking if I could still move my legs and arms.
It was a close call.... Since then jumping above 3 meters or any new move strictly in deep water..

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Peert wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:13 am
BWD wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:31 am
Peert wrote:
Worst injury?
I realized right away it could have ended there.
First thing I did when I resurfaced was checking if I could still move my legs and arms.
It was a close call.... Since then jumping above 3 meters or any new move strictly in deep water..
I see friends boosting over 30 feet in knee deep water all the time.... Its just a matter of time before something goes wrong and you have an awkward landing..

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:07 am

^

Sure it is but the same with snowboarding or skiing, not everyone has access to deep powder :)

My friend died when he tripped on the landing, hit his head, lost his consensuses (we think, no one knows), and a kite looped him into his death. After 15y of kiting.

Imagine a guy who tried to hold his legs, and couldn't, he let him go, that was the end of it. The guy will probably watch this over and over thinking what else he could do.

So, yeah, I think landing/launching and shallows are the worst enemy of ours.
Last edited by downunder on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peert » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:25 am

So sorry to read. Must be devastating for your local community.

I second your conclusion...

TheKiteSurfer
Rare Poster
Gear: Mixture
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TheKiteSurfer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:16 pm

Stay safe out there

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone
Been thanked: 0

Postby wind chaser » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 pm

Tibial Plateau Fracture: happened last week and just had surgery so I'm stuck on my ass trolling the internet. I think a few things contributed. I just got a new board. My previous set up was a 2013 slingshot 140cm with boots and with huge rocker and less surface area. Made to ride fast - forgiving on hard landings. I switched to a new cabrinha 141 x 43 ace with more surface area and less rocker. I immediately noticed more pop and it didn't take as much speed.

After 15mins of riding around I attempted an unhooked backroll with a lot of speed (with same muscle memory of previous board). I can stick these on a wakeboard and land them on a kite 1 out of 3. I loaded the line and was super powered but don't think I got decent vertical on the pop. Pretty sure it was a fast and low roll with a violent crash landing (upright). Conditions were 22kts and was on a 10m hybrid C fully powered.

Immediately felt pain in the leg and knew it was bad. Had the fun of kiting back to shore, luckily I was only 1/2 mile out. Now I have a shit load of screws just below the knee and I'm out for at least 3 months staring at my new board.
Last edited by wind chaser on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”