Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo Infinite Bar - any reviews?

Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo Infinite Bar - any reviews?

Postby alford » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:23 am

Is it fair to say the double front line safety system works on OR kites is because of the roll over feature? Do other kite brands have a roll over type system, or had them in the past? Without the roll over featute double front flagging ( for lack of a better term) is not desirable because the kite still has a fair amount of power vs single front?
I ask because single front flagging makes a mess of the lines when using to land, so I'm curious why it's going away. Thanks

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby randycasburn » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:18 am

alford wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:23 am
Is it fair to say the double front line safety system works on OR kites is because of the roll over feature?
Yes
alford wrote:
Do other kite brands have a roll over type system, or had them in the past?
Don’t know for sure
alford wrote:
Without the roll over featute double front flagging ( for lack of a better term) is not desirable because the kite still has a fair amount of power vs single front?
No, the power is reduced by about 90%
alford wrote:
I ask because single front flagging makes a mess of the lines when using to land, so I'm curious why it's going away. Thanks
Many people don’t know how to use double line flag properly. When flagging to both lines one must move toward the kite for it to roll over. Many people would stand in shallow water or on land and not simply walk toward the kite to let it roll over. Or would swim against it so it wouldn’t roll over.

It got a bad rap. Hey look at this way. Single line release doesn’t get as messy as a 5th line :)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:53 am

alford wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:23 am
Below the bar qr? Don't understand. Thought the infinite has a swivel at the front line attachment point up high? Am I on drugs?
Meant below the bar depower, sorry. A BTB swivel was what I keep thinking I need, so used to having them. The ATB swivel works fine, on mine it's one of those Mickey Mouse ears looking things...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:56 am

randycasburn wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:18 am
alford wrote:
Is it fair to say the double front line safety system works on OR kites is because of the roll over feature?
Yes
alford wrote:
Do other kite brands have a roll over type system, or had them in the past?
Don’t know for sure
alford wrote:
Without the roll over featute double front flagging ( for lack of a better term) is not desirable because the kite still has a fair amount of power vs single front?
No, the power is reduced by about 90%
alford wrote:
Many people don’t know how to use double line flag properly. When flagging to both lines one must move toward the kite for it to roll over. Many people would stand in shallow water or on land and not simply walk toward the kite to let it roll over. Or would swim against it so it wouldn’t roll over.

It got a bad rap. Hey look at this way. Single line release doesn’t get as messy as a 5th line :)
And you need some pulleys to avoid the bridles being very long, as opposed to just long, don't you? All the fashion victims want no pulleys and short bridles so we're all being forced into the abortion that is single front line flagging :roll:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:06 pm

F-one also had a double front line safety and roll over bridled for a long time. They marketing dept called it the Evo bridle.

Having used that system on both F-one and Ocean Rodeo kites, It was all about the easy re ride after a crash, and never about re ride post safety release. I can count the number of times Ive released my safety in fear over the last decade+ on one hand.

Now mostly using a long throw bar that accomplishes the same nice depower and re ride whey you wipe out, but has a single front line flagging system for when its needed.

Randy is right, about needing to move toward the kite with a double front line system to ensure it rolls on its back, but this is kiteboarding. Sometimes people know very little about their gear and its not really acceptable to have safety systems with little quirks like that.

Personally, I have never had a pulley break of fail in a bridle, but have moved away from them just the same. Of my 8 kites, only two have pulleys in the bridle, and neither gets a lot of use.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:23 pm

From what I understood it wasn't so much about the pulleys breaking but them getting stuck with sand and tearing up the bridle lines and the lines breaking?

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:53 am
alford wrote:
Below the bar qr? Don't understand. Thought the infinite has a swivel at the front line attachment point up high? Am I on drugs?
Meant below the bar depower, sorry. A BTB swivel was what I keep thinking I need, so used to having them. The ATB swivel works fine, on mine it's one of those Mickey Mouse ears looking things...
What kites do you use with this bar?

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:12 pm

This is a really interesting topic, I appreciate the responses and answers.

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Apparently it's still offered by OR. Here's info if you want to see what this thread is about. https://oceanrodeo.com/kiteboarding/bar ... rf/?b=3869

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:41 am

alford wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:08 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:53 am
alford wrote:
What kites do you use with this bar?
OR Flite and my old Crossbows (with pigtails). The OR bar has almost exactly the same safety throw as the IDS does/did...

Return to “Kitesurfing”