DBnMZ
Rare Poster
Gear: Best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Are old kites/bar systems obsolete?

Postby DBnMZ » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi, just looking for some quick advice. Wasn't able to kite for 8 years because I had to move. Could never bring myself to part with my kite gear. Have 3 2009 Best Waroos and bar/set up from same year. These kites are brand new, properly stored so they should be in good shape - I never even got to use them. Question - If I am going to start up again 8 years after getting to about mid-intermediate on Best Waroos, should I use what I have or has tech/safety systems advanced enough that I should chuck the old stuff and invest again? Thanks

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Are old kites/bar systems obsolete?

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:30 pm

I think there were some issues back then.
Maybe just get a new quick release and you should be fine.

But you can test yours under Lias and if they work, use them.

If the material is still crispy you should have fun with your kites!

Get back into the game, and once confident again test some new gear at demos and see if they are better for you.

Welcome back!

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:35 pm

They're fine. Those old Waroos were decent kites and that vintage bar was perfectly safe, I'm still using one about that age although it's been modified and recovered several times. You will likely have issues with the valves coming unglued, they don't age very well, but just restick them and enjoy.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:44 pm

I would rather fly old kiting gear from ten years ago than drive an old car from thirty years ago, from a safety perspective.

Newer gear is certainly better, but nothing you need to worry about. I mostly have upgraded gear after damage, and the new stuff is better, but never quite good enough to warrant the upgrade while the old gear still worked.

I will advise you to avoid riding new gear after putting the Waroos in the air though, the cumulative improvement is likely to be substantial.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
Seavel Knievel (Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:43 pm

1.) yes, there are better quick releases on the market
2.) Best quick releases have gotten better over the years but still suck (at least as of the 2015 bar).
3.) I wouldn't neccesarily upgrade for perceived safety alone, but kites have gotten a lot better, and that is a good reason to upgrade.
4.) new kites do not mix with old bars. Nearly all new kites are designed for a single line release, and will not depower well on old 2-line release bars. If you upgrade your kite, you need to upgrade your bar as well.

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn

Postby Jelle_vw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:38 pm

Just use them to get back into the game. At some point you will know if you want to upgrade or not.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:05 pm

Nothing wrong with 2009 Waroos. Have kites got better in the interim? There have certainly been development of new styles of kite: 3 strut wave/drift kites, two strut/one strut/no strut kites, more depowerable C-type kites etc. However, the Waroos were all-around free-ride kites that did everything pretty well - decent low end, decent high end, stable, decent for jumping & water-relaunching etc. They are by no means obsolete & are not going to "hold you back" as a progressing intermediate. When you have spent some time back in the sport you may have a better idea about you might like to use going forward.

I'm not sure about the bar - I believe I had one from that era & don't really remember any problems with it. There have been advances in bar technology since then, but as ever, some of those new innovative systems actually didn't work that well - just read through the threads here & you will find lots of examples.

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m

Postby coffeeking » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:58 pm

DBnMZ wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:22 pm
Hi, just looking for some quick advice. Wasn't able to kite for 8 years because I had to move. Could never bring myself to part with my kite gear. Have 3 2009 Best Waroos and bar/set up from same year. These kites are brand new, properly stored so they should be in good shape - I never even got to use them. Question - If I am going to start up again 8 years after getting to about mid-intermediate on Best Waroos, should I use what I have or has tech/safety systems advanced enough that I should chuck the old stuff and invest again? Thanks
Still happily ploughing around on a '09 Waroo, perfectly decent kite and safe bar. Never let me down.

DBnMZ
Rare Poster
Gear: Best

Postby DBnMZ » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks for the advice - will use the old Waroos to get back into kiting and then we'll see from there.

db

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:40 pm

modern kites are WAY better

Return to “Kitesurfing”