Is it possible to kite a surf-foil?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
pcatran
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rio de Janeiro, Buzios
Brand Affiliation: None

Is it possible to kite a surf-foil?

Postby pcatran » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Ive seen the topic before: to use a kite-foil on a SUP..
Now my question is the other way around: what about using a go-foil mounted on a surf/sup with a kite?

Ive seen on the go-foil specs that the downwind sucks.. but does that refers to kite?

Thanks, Paulo

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Is it possible to kite a surf-foil?

Postby norcom » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Hell yeah it is! And it's ACTUALLY FUN!

Just picked up a Chinese Takuma copy and had a BLAST on knee high waves in 10-15mph wind with a 9m Cabo. I'm now sold on foils and waves. This foil is incredible! I've never done flying gybes, flying water starts, or real wave riding/carving on my Ghost Whisper but I was doing them after 30min on the SUP foil. I was carving on the wave and IT FELT GOOD! SURF-FEELING GOOD! The 60cm mast puts you very close on the wave and the slow speed of the foil is PERFECT to ride the wave. You REALLY FEEL the wave on this thing because of the huge wing. It has a very low stall speed and breaching the water doesn't drop you off the foil like a regular kite foil. I topped out around 15mph for a few seconds on it but it's not fun at speed. I was averaging around 10mph for wave riding and I would guess the stall speed is 4-5mph.

The day after I tried this foil with the 11m Cabo, 30m lines in 4-8mph wind in 90°F weather. I could get going but couldn't keep upwind. The foil has major drag (which is great for waves) but sucks when you try to build apparent wind. Still, I could start where as I wouldn't have been able to on the Ghost Whisper.

It's MY game changer! I hated foils for the last few years while riding my LF Fun Foil. I liked it more when I switched to the Slingshot Ghost Whisper but it was only for light wind. But now I'm sold. I haven't had this much fun in such sloppy waves, EVER.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 11.50.42 AM.png

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Why lie about the conditions? It's not possible to even hot launch an 11m kite off the beach in FL in 4-8 mph wind. If you're going to make claims about something's performance, at least be honest about it.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:50 pm

dylan* wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:27 pm
Why lie about the conditions? It's not possible to even hot launch an 11m kite off the beach in FL in 4-8 mph wind. If you're going to make claims about something's performance, at least be honest about it.
I measured 4.7mph to 7.7mph when I got to the beach and no, it didn't pickup because I got two tacks in before I crashed back on the beach.

It's quite possible to launch that low, if you have the right kite. Just because you don't have the skills or the gear doesn't mean I'm lying. But you are a hole of an ass for accusing me.

For anyone else who thinks I'm lying, here's the log from the that day, yesterday actually. And the most accurate sensor we have/use for this location. I can even put GPS coordinates.

You can see the time is 14:22 (2:22PM) on the Suunto log, the elevation's always messed up. Because of the wind direction and the location of that sensors, the way the wind is funneled by the roof towards the wind meter makes it over read by 3-4mph. As I mentioned, I measured 4.7 to 7.7 MILES per hour with my handheld meter. But hey, you don't have to believe anything on the internet.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 1.00.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 1.00.47 PM.png (24.88 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 1.01.01 PM.png
Last edited by norcom on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:34 pm

norcom wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:57 pm
Hell yeah it is! And it's ACTUALLY FUN!

Just picked up a Chinese Takuma copy and had a BLAST on knee high waves in 10-15mph wind with a 9m Cabo. I'm now sold on foils and waves. This foil is incredible! I've never done flying gybes, flying water starts, or real wave riding/carving on my Ghost Whisper but I was doing them after 30min on the SUP foil. I was carving on the wave and IT FELT GOOD! SURF-FEELING GOOD! The 60cm mast puts you very close on the wave and the slow speed of the foil is PERFECT to ride the wave. You REALLY FEEL the wave on this thing because of the huge wing. It has a very low stall speed and breaching the water doesn't drop you off the foil like a regular kite foil. I topped out around 15mph for a few seconds on it but it's not fun at speed. I was averaging around 10mph for wave riding and I would guess the stall speed is 4-5mph.

The day after I tried this foil with the 11m Cabo, 30m lines in 4-8mph wind in 90°F weather. I could get going but couldn't keep upwind. The foil has major drag (which is great for waves) but sucks when you try to build apparent wind. Still, I could start where as I wouldn't have been able to on the Ghost Whisper.

It's MY game changer! I hated foils for the last few years while riding my LF Fun Foil. I liked it more when I switched to the Slingshot Ghost Whisper but it was only for light wind. But now I'm sold. I haven't had this much fun in such sloppy waves, EVER.
Can you give us some clues which chinese foil this is?
AliExpress?

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:13 pm

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blackrat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:14 pm

I have found learning to foil to be a long learning curve ... From runaway foil bombs that hurt , to thinking to gybe is impossible.

I am on a surf foil now and it's just great fun , slow as anything , but it gives you time to think ... I did my first 360 on my first attempt !

I am however riding on a long mast , the 650mm mast is just frustrating with the kite

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Looks just like the takuma...how do u order just one?

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:29 pm

dylan* wrote:
Why? Is this just the case in Florida? Or just 11m kites?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:33 pm

dylan* wrote:
I've kited in 7mph handheld in FL, pier sensor said 10 knots but it's possible with wind gradients up higher in a different part of the world...this is winter time in Fl :)

It was basically mowing the grass on the foil till it picked up

Just saying...lol

Return to “Hydrofoil”