Brand Affiliation: None

can you adjust Ozone bar clamcleat position

Postby sonny2727 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi all,
is there any way to increase the range of depower available
ozone bar.jpg
ozone bar
ozone bar.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
by adjusting ozone clamcleat down? Some kite bars have adjustable cleat but I couldn't do this on Ozone bar.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Re: can you adjust Ozone bar clamcleat position

Postby windrider1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:10 pm

I dont think its adjustable like some others. . But I recently bought a bar to use with a foil kite and had the same issue . I basically took off the white colored bungee rope and put my own rope of equal thickness and strenght . Heres a tip its easier to soak the line in some water before u take it apart as its easier to loosen any knots. U will probally also have to add pigtails to your back lines however. I dont knw why the trend with some bars is now to give less and less depower at the trip strap . May be its to limit depower range so u will have to buy more kites..lol

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Use a Slingshot Sentinel cleat - you can position it where you want.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Maybe because the kite flies like shite if depowered too much and you should get on a smaller kite at a certain point. What that point is might be better determined by the designer than the average user. If you are better than average you can adjust it any way you want with a tiny bit of trouble. Just a guess?

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Na i don think so. While some kites only work well with 2 inches of depower . :P i think most kites can work with more. I call marketing gimmickry on this one.ive been flying kites over 12 years and see how the constant pressure to claim a new feature every year creates these nonsensical changes. cabrinha has taken this path also. Both them and ozone had decent depower throw on their bars then significantly reduced it s few years back . Just makes things harder if u want to swap kites and bars. Which equals more sales for them.
knotwindy wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:51 pm
Maybe because the kite flies like shite if depowered too much and you should get on a smaller kite at a certain point. What that point is might be better determined by the designer than the average user. If you are better than average you can adjust it any way you want with a tiny bit of trouble. Just a guess?

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:43 am

windrider1 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 pm
Na i don think so. While some kites only work well with 2 inches of depower . :P i think most kites can work with more. I call marketing gimmickry on this one.ive been flying kites over 12 years and see how the constant pressure to claim a new feature every year creates these nonsensical changes. cabrinha has taken this path also. Both them and ozone had decent depower throw on their bars then significantly reduced it s few years back . Just makes things harder if u want to swap kites and bars. Which equals more sales for them.
knotwindy wrote:
well said, yes im trying to use the bar on a different kite and want to test with more depower.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:03 pm

Why not just experiment with some extension pigtails first.

sonny2727 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:43 am
windrider1 wrote:
knotwindy wrote:
well said, yes im trying to use the bar on a different kite and want to test with more depower.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:39 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:03 pm
Why not just experiment with some extension pigtails first.

sonny2727 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:43 am
windrider1 wrote:

good idea but i thought there is a more flexible solution... so If i use the kite's original bar (North 5 line bar) i don't have to change the pig tails again. I have north 5 line bar and ozone bar but prefer to use ozone bar so I can use the north bar just for the loaded 5 line Rebel - hence I can keep the north bar till the Rebel die and then forget about 5 lines for good

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 am

You can lower the cleat on an Ozone bar, only the thick PU tubing won't fit through the clamcleat-aerobase so you have to cut away the amount of tubing you want to lower your cleat.

If you don't want to cut into the original depower rope and don't mind one without tubing you can refit it 5-6mm bare dyneema rope. Just put two knots in the end so it won't slip through the chickenloop. (or one knot and melt the loose end).

Can make one for you or even one with a smaller diameter tubing so the cleat is moveable over the tube.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:38 pm

evan wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 am
You can lower the cleat on an Ozone bar, only the thick PU tubing won't fit through the clamcleat-aerobase so you have to cut away the amount of tubing you want to lower your cleat.

If you don't want to cut into the original depower rope and don't mind one without tubing you can refit it 5-6mm bare dyneema rope. Just put two knots in the end so it won't slip through the chickenloop. (or one knot and melt the loose end).

Can make one for you or even one with a smaller diameter tubing so the cleat is moveable over the tube.
Yeah, the AMSTEEL Blue they sell at West Marine would make a suitable depower rope if you know how to splice...then you can pretty much make any geometry you want. Pigtails are a good idea, but then you have to get them exactly even with each other because you're making 2; with the depower rope, it's just that one rope that changes depower geometry.

Return to “Kitesurfing”