kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: PIQ North Kiteboarding

Postby kjorn » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Eckhardt wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 pm
I only jump with right foot in front and still have both yellow and plain ones
Me too. I think it may be best PIQ score - so height combined with G-force and rotations

Eckhardt
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiden, wijk aan zee
Style: Big air and rookie waverider
Gear: Ozone edge 11 and 8
Bandit S 9m

Postby Eckhardt » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Thats my guess too

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:48 pm

I emailed PIQ. The response is as follows:

"those are the 20% of your jumps which are considered the best among all and are taken for calculations of PIQSCORE."

I guess I got a little confused as for me they correspond to the top percentage when sorted by hang time. Its a bit more varied when sorted only by height. I guess this suggests that hang time is a big factor in getting a high PIQSCORE.

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:33 am

ozonelevel wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:45 pm
Yes, washed it, dried and applied O-ring gel. Still leaks. Have requested support for replacement O-rings, waiting on response.
Customer service is good. They sent me a new carrier. However it looks the same, so we'll see if that leaks too.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:38 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:48 pm

"those are the 20% of your jumps which are considered the best among all and are taken for calculations of PIQSCORE."

I guess I got a little confused as for me they correspond to the top percentage when sorted by hang time. Its a bit more varied when sorted only by height. I guess this suggests that hang time is a big factor in getting a high PIQSCORE.
It feels like the app was written and designed by people who don't kitesurf and can only imagine what data we want to see. The PIQ score seems pretty pointless, especially when we don't know how it is calculated. Hang time is dependant on your kite, not your skill. A torch is never going to get 7 seconds of hang time. A edge will glide and glide,

The data view is done much better on the Woo app at the moment. I hope PIQ sort theirs out soon.

cpotapoff
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Manitoba
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Hatteras N.C
Gear: some kite and a stick.
Brand Affiliation: LF
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cpotapoff » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:48 am

PIQ is a completely seperate company from North and not at all affiliated with Kiteboarding. North probably went to them and send "Hey, you guys already have a great sensor. With a few extra lines of code you can alter it to kiteboarding and we will help break into the industry".

As for the case not being waterproof, that shouldn't matter at all. The sensor itself is completely waterproof, the case there just to help hold it in place.

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:53 am

cpotapoff wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:48 am
PIQ is a completely seperate company from North and not at all affiliated with Kiteboarding. North probably went to them and send "Hey, you guys already have a great sensor. With a few extra lines of code you can alter it to kiteboarding and we will help break into the industry".

As for the case not being waterproof, that shouldn't matter at all. The sensor itself is completely waterproof, the case there just to help hold it in place.
Not really, get the sensor wet and it dies. I've managed to revive it twice, afraid to push it more.

Stasy_northandpiq
Rare Poster
Gear: North Kiteboarding
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, PIQ

Postby Stasy_northandpiq » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:13 pm

kjorn wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:38 am
nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:48 pm

It feels like the app was written and designed by people who don't kitesurf and can only imagine what data we want to see. The PIQ score seems pretty pointless, especially when we don't know how it is calculated. Hang time is dependant on your kite, not your skill. A torch is never going to get 7 seconds of hang time. A edge will glide and glide,

The data view is done much better on the Woo app at the moment. I hope PIQ sort theirs out soon.
Hey Kjorn!
Thank you for your points. We appreciate every feedback!
Let me clarify what is a PIQScore and how is it calculated:
Your average PIQScore is calculated on last 6 saved sessions. It consists of 3 metrics: hangtime, height and landing :thumb:

Stasy_northandpiq
Rare Poster
Gear: North Kiteboarding
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, PIQ

Postby Stasy_northandpiq » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:38 pm

ozonelevel wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:53 am
cpotapoff wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:48 am

Not really, get the sensor wet and it dies. I've managed to revive it twice, afraid to push it more.
Hey ozonelevel!
Please, be sure that the PIQ Robot is waterproof. The major purpose of a casing is to protect PIQ Robot from the sea 'salt' aggression. However, if you have any issues with the casing contact support@piq.com for further assistance.

tavis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kanaha
Gear: 6.5m solo, 8m wave sst, 10m lithium, 12m envy

Postby tavis » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:33 pm

My PIQ has been working great for about a month. Then, last session, it started over reporting the jumps during the last half of the session. The error was so large that it made me #1 on the world leaderboard. I guess there may be some errors every once in awhile but every jump in the second half of my session was inflated to an absurd amount. I would have deleted the session but there is no option for that. Contacted support twice, no response yet. Hopefully next session it will be back to normal. I think I'll monitor closely the readout and if it starts over reporting again I'll try an on the water reboot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”