Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best hurricane ultra high wind 40 plus knot kite

Forum for kitesurfers
SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Best hurricane ultra high wind 40 plus knot kite

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Another plug for the Ocean Rodeo Storm. Not just a smaller version of what works in 20 knots; something specifically designed to work in heavy wind. I rode an OR Prodigy 8m in 40-50 mph back in the spring while I was in the OBX. I'm 230 lbs and was fully powered and LIT. I have no doubt a 5m Storm would have worked great then, but the 8m is what I had. ;)

*Disclaimer-I sell OR

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby xray » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:55 pm

4-5 meter kites with a rock solid frame and canopy. I own a Pivot 5m, ride it quite often. Last time out the wind was somewhere between 40 and 50 knots. It still holds well, however I think a Rebel 5m would do even better. 5 struts will give a more solid frame and albeit well designed (which is the cast with the Rebel) will give a better handling in high and often pretty gusty winds.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Hurricane wind sucks.....stay away

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:27 am

ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:22 pm
The Ocean Rodeo storm would be a good choice - designed specifically for that washing machine stuff...
https://youtu.be/DOV3La3X0BQ
Funny video where they show the safety and relaunch in low wind and especially in waist deep water - classy. Please do us all a favor and demonstrate it in the intended wind and burn that on camera. pull the trigger in 45 knots and show the relaunch without cuts 3-4 times in a row I will be impressed. But thats true for all companies. Something for them to learn.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:11 am

I have ridden my 7.5 kahoona in 40 knots a few times and I'm always amazed how this little guy takes a beating and remains very civilized the large Kahoonas were slow but the small ones were great. It's a shame they don't make them anymore! For the 50 knots I use an old but new Waroo 5M it's a 2008 but it has only been used 5 times so far.

I think for crazy winds you probably want something low aspect and very stable like a delta shape maybe a 5M Wainman or a Lithium maybe the OR Storm. Delta shape kites like the Kahoonas are stable by design they just want to sit there and stay in place that makes them not so great for freestyle but awesome for difficult conditions.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:40 am

knyfe wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:27 am
ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:22 pm
The Ocean Rodeo storm would be a good choice - designed specifically for that washing machine stuff...
https://youtu.be/DOV3La3X0BQ
Funny video where they show the safety and relaunch in low wind and especially in waist deep water - classy. Please do us all a favor and demonstrate it in the intended wind and burn that on camera. pull the trigger in 45 knots and show the relaunch without cuts 3-4 times in a row I will be impressed. But thats true for all companies. Something for them to learn.
Not sure what kind of epiphany you're expecting to get by showing the relaunch in 45 knots. You could probably relaunch a crab pot from Deadliest Catch in 45 knots. :wink: The safety system is the same as all the rest of the kites/sizes. Jumping in that kind of wind, while entertaining, is likely a better show of what skill the rider has than anything else. IMHO, the real show is when the kite is getting hit with gnarly gusts and the rider is edging hard, what is the kite doing? Jellyfishing or hanging in there rock solid? Surging and stalling or absorbing it all? Those are the things that are important to me when I'm riding that lit.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:22 am

videos like that dont show anything. Thats what I try to say - you never know if a release will actually work if you dont release in the intended wind range. The latest Fone disaster is a good example.
I certainly will not go out in winds like that anyway. I miss the fun in them. So please enjoy it all for yourself ;-)

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:49 am

should be slowest kite you can try and get,working on centre window.
pay extreme attention ,do it once then you can say you did it.
buy a good 6 mt wait for less wind and have fun for years.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:52 am

What was his name, Kevin? Who rode in a hurricane wind and then got smashed into a building across the road?
TV news captured it on tape...you should watch it before going out...

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:59 am

Perhaps thread title is misleading. It should say something like best 45-60 knot kite. This is for before and after the storm. I will have a back up crew. As soon as it hits cat 1 I will send it and come in!
😲🤑😛😲😎 :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”