Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: I hate the wmfg pump

Postby wind chaser » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 pm

[/quote]That is exactly how you are supposed to use it. Use your legs. Using the back to pmp is exactly the wrong way to do it. OP I think at some point using your back you might end up having a disc slide out. It doesn't take much.[/quote]

Hard to do with the smaller pumps that force a hunched over posture.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 pm

You guys keep using legs only but sorry. the back is an incredible muscle. It requires exercise just as much as every other muscle in the body! I refuse to quit using my back. Exercise is good. You want to exercise all muscles, back arms legs all muscles. Don't leave the back out of the picture! And now for a video from Clarence Kennedy a pretty strong irish dude that shows you how strong your back can be:

I don't understand why anyone would neglect entirely their back muscles. You want to slip a disk the best way to do is it let your back muscles get weaker than your legs so that your physique is unbalanced. You want balance and that means exercising the back and the legs.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:38 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 pm
You guys keep using legs only but sorry. the back is an incredible muscle. It requires exercise just as much as every other muscle in the body! I refuse to quit using my back. Exercise is good. You want to exercise all muscles, back arms legs all muscles. Don't leave the back out of the picture! And now for a video from Clarence Kennedy a pretty strong irish dude that shows you how strong your back can be:

I don't understand why anyone would neglect entirely their back muscles. You want to slip a disk the best way to do is it let your back muscles get weaker than your legs so that your physique is unbalanced. You want balance and that means exercising the back and the legs.
Its not ignoring it, it is a matter of focal point. You do engage your core, and you will engage many muscles like lats, and triceps, but the main muscles to use are the legs. You'll also use your weight when you push down, but using your back to pull up is asking for problems. You can see it on your video the guy has good form...you might be able to pump that way, but most people will bend their back while pumping which is asking for trouble.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:43 pm

tautologies wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:38 pm
Its not ignoring it, it is a matter of focal point. You do engage your core, and you will engage many muscles like lats, and triceps, but the main muscles to use are the legs. You'll also use your weight when you push down, but using your back to pull up is asking for problems. You can see it on your video the guy has good form...you might be able to pump that way, but most people will bend their back while pumping which is asking for trouble.
Yup!

Lift with your back... said no one who knows what their talking about.... ever!

The spine, (highly articular) is meant to move no doubt, but not be a prime mover. That job is for hips, and knees and elbows. Pumping a kite with your spine as the source of movement is high wear and low gain from a fitness or health perspective. aka doing it wrong and asking for trouble.
Last edited by Starsky on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:58 pm

wind chaser wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:45 pm

This should work for the strutless cloud complainers - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00147OV ... ref=plSrch
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:04 pm

Back in 2001 those were shipped with many kites.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:07 pm

I find it so strange and in fact stupid when I see guys fight their pumps with dry seals and shaft ring!
Just open your pump every so often, clean it, lube well, and pump with so little effort.
We now use a white silicone that almost allows the weight of the handle to lower it!
Also I ALWAYS use a one way valve at nipple (I love that word) hose end AND a filter at the intake.
R H

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:15 pm

Full range of motion guys!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:18 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:15 pm
Full range of motion guys!

Oh but his back is straight...he does lock in his knees, which isn't a great idea, but since there really isn't gravity or weight on it, its okay. He also puts more effort on one leg than the other. Remember that a lot of these guys self taught "PT". They do not have a good scientific basis for their instruction....then you look at some of his other vids..and you see that he keeps on locking in his knees even with weights which is HORRIBLE technique. At least he is pretty good about keeping his back straight.

Your first vid is pretty good form, but his main effort is put on the legs, not the back.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings

Postby pitbulldoug » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:24 pm

flyingcamel wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 pm
only thing i dont like about them is their hoses. they are very flexible which is great but they break easily. ive seen 5 so far
Great pump IMO and I'm 5'9",only improvement I see needed is the hose, old white hose sucked,new black hose is a improvement for sure but have seen 3 break in last few weeks infact mine broke day before yesterday,however easy fix though if it breaks by the plastic male fitting on pump,if it breaks in middle not good,hopefully they get it sorted out.title of thread is a bit harsh for probably best pump out there these days.

Return to “Kitesurfing”