yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

WOO gen1 vs gen2 accuracy

Postby yomotha » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Just wondering if anybody has put both the first and second gen WOO's on their board and then compared the results? Do the results differ much at all? If so, by how much?

I'm not going to comment on how accurate either version of the WOO is, but if one version is fairly different than the other consistently, I'd be curious.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Re: WOO gen1 vs gen2 accuracy

Postby deniska » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:48 am

google is your friend..

https://www.skymonster.com/blogs/kitesu ... oo-2-store

also I am hearing woo is cooking instant readouts through a watch

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 am

The problem is there is not prove of accuracy ...nobody know if mesure is real u need to trust woo..its a faith

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:48 am

kiterocky wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 am
The problem is there is not prove of accuracy ...nobody know if mesure is real u need to trust woo..its a faith
What problem? It is for fun!

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:15 pm

From what I've heard the woo gen2 is way superior,your jumps will be 3-7 meters higher than with the gen 1! :-o

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:08 pm

We wait for gen3... And new record.. :jump: :jump:

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 am

kiterocky wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 am
This is so dumb.

I know a few riders who use a Woo and PIQ, both give the same readouts +/- half a meter. It must be so simple to test these devices, put a tape measure vertically, throw device up, take video. Does the device readout match the video? Repeat 500 times.

Why do you think engineers can't figure out how to test their devices?

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:56 pm

kjorn wrote:I know a few riders who use a Woo and PIQ, both give the same readouts +/- half a meter. It must be so simple to test these devices, put a tape measure vertically, throw device up, take video. Does the device readout match the video? Repeat 500 times.
As kiteboarding is not a freefall sport compared to for example snowboarding, you always need to derive algorithm to detect launch and landing. Snowboarding is simple, read 0g from accelerometer and you are airborne. Kjorn, such event cannot be simulated like you suggest for kiteboarding. Optimizing behaviour like that only creates device capable of measuring freefall event, not a real kiteboard jump.

Here is a freefall video you 'suggested'. But remember, if without tossing device upwards you get same behaviour of accelerometer just by dropping. Only initial spike will be missing (because you did not accelerate the pendulum mass upwards first).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-om0eTXsgnY

Kiteboarding device has much more complexity, I think I've explained this to you Kjorn earlier at least once.
  • Orientate sensor mounted on board to earth coordinates for height in gravity field
  • Remember if you do a megaloop you board is tossed aroung but rotations, kite pulling, swinging and even by your trick but still jump height is against gravity field
  • Use accelerometer and gyroscope for orientation, additional magnetic sensors, but basically you 'reset' your gyros by accelerometer (when x, y and z is 1g stationary must be center of earth but on choppy waters you board is living causing acceleration sensor read-out changes)
  • Keep calculating acceleration and speed vectors relative to gravity field
  • Detect jump from above data
  • While jump is going on, keep orientation relative to earth and update orientation & speed vectors
  • When vertical speed = 0 you are at apex, what if you get secondary lift (like foilkites might give on fast zenith flying when redirecting)
  • Estimate everything to point when you a) launch or b) land.
  • Display figure of height to human hair level like Woo does (micro meter :) )
  • Everything is analyzed on 100Hz to 1000Hz MEMS accelerometer and gyroscope with ADC noise (I don't know which sensor Woo uses and on what rate)
  • Integrating acceleration over time to get speed and again to get position adds error
  • How well you IMU and AHRS system is working together
If you watch this second video kite revolving behind the net and see monitor top-row (gyroscope and accelerometer) data you see that even by simply rotation there is a lot of movement and noise on the system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qta9N8gNRyk

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:26 pm

You say a lot of technical talk. How come the woo, piq and xsensor all show the same height?

You say these devices dont work, when just using one shows that they do work. I dont understand what point you are trying to make. You wish they didnt work? You dont believe they work?

How do you think VR and AR work using phones as screens? Sub-millimeter tracking in a 3d space. Using all the sensors you seem to think dont work.

Matt_TYRCZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach , VA
Favorite Beaches: First Landing State Park, OBX
Style: booting, kiteloop, freestyle
Gear: CORE Kiteboarding, MYSTIC , CrazyFLy

Postby Matt_TYRCZ » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:27 pm

i actuality did that on my last session. I had 1 and 2 next to each other .
Than i compared recording side by side.
So Woo 2 is way more exact and accurate than Woo 1 .
Woo 2 records every take off the water as a jump.
I had 1 hour session and Woo1 shows 27 jumps and Woo 2 77 jumps.
On the highest jump Woo1 7,9 m and Woo2 8,7 m .
Seems like Woo 2 process and record all data faster and more exact while Woo 1 kind of rounding up everything .

I will test it again on big air session and see what happened.
In my opinion - get WOO2

Return to “Kitesurfing”