Brasil (North East only) advices

Forum for kitesurfers
athen
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Brasil (North East only) advices

Postby athen » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Hello Kiteforum community and hello Toby :D

this time I would like to ask your tips about a kitesurf travel from early November till end of December in Brasil.
(I already collect lots of informations about the different spots from Canoa Quebrada till up to Jericoacoara)

My question now is: WHICH ARE THE BEST WINDY AND UNCROWDED SPOTS during that coast-line nowadays?

I know the Northern you go the more wind there is: let's say in Canoa there is very light wind and in Jericoacoara very strong winds.
Years ago I was in CUMBUCO for 2 weeks and had great memories on my kitesurfing sessions but I guess now lots of things are changed, isn't it?

This new trip in Brasil I would like to go in windy places (not less than 18-20 knots daily) but possibly in unspoiled spots or however not crowded, where are them? :P

It doesn't matter if I will ride in flat water or in the open ocean, what I would like to avoid are the not-salty lakes because I am not interested in that places for kitesurfing because of the pollution, etc.

Thanks guys!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Brasil (North East only) advices

Postby Toby » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:46 pm

First of all, all spots here (for other readers too): http://se.kiteforum.com/spots

From what you want I think Lagoinha is your best bet.
Few kiters and lots of space. Also nice Kicker waves and excellent waves in general. Winds are few knots stronger than Cumbuco. Sweet little town.

Cumbuco changed, but to the good. Great dining with lots of options. And lots of space on the ocean.
Why not do a few days Cumbuco, then Lagoinha.

If you want some nightlife, then Cumbuco or Jericoacoa.

Don't go south of Fortaleza, winds will be lighter at this time of the year.

If you want flat water, ocean, consider Atins as an option. Long drive from Fortaleza though. Guess Sao Luis will be closer, but no international fights from what I know.

Maybe also check out Tatajuba as an option, just after Jericoacoa.

Hope it helps!

athen
Medium Poster

Postby athen » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks Toby! I am happy to read your answer because I know you are expert about Brasil and you live also there.

Your idea to split the holidays first with a stop in Cumbuco e then in Lagoinha could be really nice also to visit different spots and try different conditions.

About Cumbuco then: would you advice a specific area where to kitesurf in less crowd or however have a pleasant space in the water? (if you know where, and you could give me some directions I can maybe try to find a room near that zone to be able to reach the spot by walking)

ATINS is in my dreams since a lot, but probably too far, I must think about it.

Another question please, how do you consider places like Icaraizinho or Prea? Because I read and heard some gripes about too gusty winds there and also very expensive accommodations. But I would love to hear your opinion about

And finally how do you consider the spot of Ilha do Guajiru? Also for this one I heard about complaints because of the tide issue, rough seabed, bad odor of the lagoon etc
Is this all true or not really?

thanks!!!

Toby wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:46 pm
First of all, all spots here (for other readers too): http://se.kiteforum.com/spots

From what you want I think Lagoinha is your best bet.
Few kiters and lots of space. Also nice Kicker waves and excellent waves in general. Winds are few knots stronger than Cumbuco. Sweet little town.

Cumbuco changed, but to the good. Great dining with lots of options. And lots of space on the ocean.
Why not do a few days Cumbuco, then Lagoinha.

If you want some nightlife, then Cumbuco or Jericoacoa.

Don't go south of Fortaleza, winds will be lighter at this time of the year.

If you want flat water, ocean, consider Atins as an option. Long drive from Fortaleza though. Guess Sao Luis will be closer, but no international fights from what I know.

Maybe also check out Tatajuba as an option, just after Jericoacoa.

Hope it helps!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:28 pm

Icarizinho is a bit gusty for me where the nice kicker waves are...further out wind is fine. Or further downwind as well.
There are expensive but nice places like Vila Mango. But there should be cheaper places too...don't know. Check the web.

I like ilha do guajiru. Low tide not much water, but still can ride. Plus you can go downwind toe river mouth... Perfect flat water there.
Nice atmosphere staying directly at the water is also pleasant. But rooms are not that cheap too, check the web.

Cumbuco has 10 km of beach. Just ride a bit upwind or downwind and you are alone. Packed is only for e lagoons which don't want anyway.

Taiba is also nice, good waves, sweet village. Rooms shouldn't be that much.

I never kited Prea. Here you have to decide if you want to stay in Prea at kite beach, or Jericoacoaat nightlife and take the daily shuttle to Prea to kite. Its either that or that.

Ilha and Prea have the most wind of all mentioned spots.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jbrook » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:34 pm

For me Toby gave you great advice but left out one of the best spots on the coast Paracuru? For me Lagoinha close to town has gusty and holey wind. The Lagoa de Jegue is one of my favorite spots I have ever ridden that is close to Lagoinha. Happy kiting!

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Anybody went to Barra Grande?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Paracuru is packed. That's why.
But yes. Awesome spot!

Don't know Barra Grande. Supposedly nice. But also not cheap, from what I heard.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jbrook » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:06 am

Heard it was empty this year. Also in the morning early is empty as I remember Toby you always show up after 11am and well all the crowd is there. If you eat in the square with the rest of the sheep can be pricey but off main road so many nice places. For me is all about conditions and well I hate chop so rarely ride in Cumbuco but I love Cauipe. To travel halfway around the world and ride chop is wrong haha. Paracuru, Tatajuba, Icaraizinho are the top spots for me.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:28 pm

Well, not main season yet, so sure it's not packed. But in about 2 weeks masses start to come and then it will be. But, even there when packed you can find your space, just a bit upwind or downwind.

pcatran
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rio de Janeiro, Buzios

Postby pcatran » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Why do foregners and Brazillians - People in General - always go to CeaFLAT, while there is an almost-as-windy neightboor and WAVEY state of Brazil called Rio Grande do Norte, whith PLENTY of WAVES????
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?

Return to “Kitesurfing”