Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: light wind surfboard VS foil board

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Archer77 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:25 pm
Hello all!

I was wondering if it's more efficient a light wind specific surfboard or a foil board approaching a light wind day with a big kite and perhaps 10 knots

(or maybe are almost the same...? )

Good question - and you already got the reply :D

Many years ago, we seeked low wind days, using bigger special wide low rockered waveboards, and big kites - and then it was freeraceboards that could easily top any lightwind waveboard.

It was great fun back in the days, as it was the ultimate way of riding on sunny beautiful days with quite low wind :thumb:

a few used HUGE foilkites and big TT boards - I have no idea why, and I still dont understand it, makes absolutely no sense IMO as it is plowing back and fourth and nothing but that, compared to what other boards can offer of livelyness and fun :roll:
Sorry to offend some, but I really think it is beginners or those who are not really progressing that do this :wink:

Back to the question - you asked "with a big kite" ?

You can cancel that, and drop the big kite you dont NEED a big kite when hydrofoiling, that is a huge advantage.

To ride in 7 knots on a hydrofoil, a 12 m2 LEI is sufficient, and you hardly ever see anyone using bigger than this.

For marginal winds, yes, but that is not what you ask for ?

The other huge difference is, that with a hydrofoil, the 8-10 knots is the sweetspot playground wind where everything is possible and quite easy - and the most amazing fact with a hydrofoil is, that you DONT wish and want more wind, to have more fun - it is fun in all windranges - quite opposite to TT og Waveboards where more wind equals more fun and options :naughty:

So no, they are not even close to being the same, lightyears apart :rollgrin:

8) Peter

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:56 pm

so far everything has been said...but I think one thing is still missing from the equation: alaias. A proper (finless) alaia is heaps of fun in light wind, especially in flat water.

Regards, or6
These users thanked the author or6 for the post:
gregkn73 (Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:32 am)
Rating: 3.03%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:18 pm
To ride in 7 knots on a hydrofoil, a 12 m2 LEI is sufficient, and you hardly ever see anyone using bigger than this.
I will disagree on that one

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:24 pm
If you are willing to develop a high degree of skill on a light wind directional, you can match and possibly exceed the performance of a light wind TT
I agree

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:22 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:12 pm
Matteo V wrote:
If you are willing to develop a high degree of skill on a light wind directional, you can match and possibly exceed the performance of a light wind TT
I agree
But then again.
Matteo V wrote:
Don't discount a light wind TT! I initially believed the lie about surfboards being better at light winds than TT's. But LWTT's are just superior to even the most light wind directional. At least when comparing equal rider skill. If you are willing to develop a high degree of skill on a light wind directional, you can match and possibly exceed the performance of a light wind TT.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Starsky wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:26 pm
On the right surfboard and large kites, the average kiter can barely ride in 10 knots. Most don't bother. Add current/wash/sweep
You forgot to mention the fresh water where you ride which sucks for surfboards
By average kiter you mean average skills for light wind surfboard and average skills using large kite

BillyKP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Wasaga, Lake Simcoe, Cuba
Style: freestyle
Gear: OceanRodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby BillyKP » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:45 am

Starsky wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:57 pm
The thing about doors is that despite being able to go incredibly early, It's always a door! Glassing along.... on a door. They carve.... like a door. The take off and land.... like a door. They surf like a door. A door is just never great. Surfboards are a pretty broad category.... some start early, some don't, but pretty much all of em have a moment they shine. Be it in small surf or bigger stuff, light air or windy, they carve and ride like surfboards.

Once you get to a certain size it doesn't make sense to fix the stance with straps. On the actual doors I've ridden, they were more fun out of the straps in the sweet spot. Even just big flat twin tips go really early. Had a 16m and light wind twin tip over a decade ago. It worked, but I move onto surfboards anyway. Kind of a moot point now. Foils kill both for light wind or chop.
I will agree with Starsky again....Door...even the name is not sexy....I have only discovered one TT alternative to a door - its called Litewave Wing 165 Carbon. Super sexy looking and super sexy to ride.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:18 am

The closest I can get to foilboards is my North Nugget 2013. Slightly more technical than the ones with narrower tail that followed, but can get going in 7-8 knots with a Sonic 15 when the tide is getting too low. If water still too shallow, then a Magnum (OR Mako Wide copy, 44 cm wide vs 40 cm) with which 8-9 knots are plenty enough for nice carving sessions.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:19 am

Matteo V wrote:
Surfboards, in general, just do not go upwind better than a light wind TT.
ahahahahahahah that's a fucking good joke. :lol: :lol: :lol:

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:40 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:18 pm
a few used HUGE foilkites and big TT boards - I have no idea why, and I still dont understand it, makes absolutely no sense IMO as it is plowing back and fourth and nothing but that, compared to what other boards can offer of livelyness and fun :roll:
I think you meant say lawn moving back and forth. I started using plowing (or ploughing based where you live) here at KF to describe 'lawn moving' with a hydrofoil like horse pulling single spike plow/plough where you sit on back in the days..

--

It is true that with hydrofoil you have a kicker with you and can jump by directing your board speed upwards. But in single digit winds and 12m lei.. :) Also if you hf strapless it is plowing, nothing more.

If you think door tt, I give you another view. Look at size/weight of snowboards. Nobody is complaining that you cannot do tricks with snowboards. With larger kite power and lower wing loading you are able to do a lot airborne stuff with snowboard and door-tt.

If kiting is about getting airborne for you, you should go that direction which kites and types of board serve your ideas. If kiting is about going blazing fast with severe crashes go for race hydrofoil (not meaning racing against others if that is not for you) or move to north and run 62mph+ on skis & kite. If you have nice ocean swell on low winds maybe surf board. Or if you want to lawn mown or plow just get the gear and enjoy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”