Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

washing the kite after use make the difference?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: washing the kite after use make the difference?

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Way more important to not have it sit in the beach for too long. That will damage the Kite for sure.

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby wind chaser » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 pm

I remember seeing this article on The Kiteboarder a while back - https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2011/08/ ... st-longer/

I don't think it hurts to rinse a kite with fresh water occasionally. For those who don't rinse the kite, how often do you pump up and thoroughly inspect the kite? I know when its windy I'm in a rush (like all the riders i see at the spot) to pump up the kite and get out on the water. I find that I am more thorough and notice wear when I pump up the kite (in a grassy spot) on a non-windy day and rinse.
Last edited by wind chaser on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:33 pm

wind chaser wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 pm
I remember seeing this article on The Kiteboarder a while back - https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2011/08/ ... st-longer/

I don't think it hurts to rinse a kite with fresh water occasionally. For those who don't rinse the kite, how often do you pump up and thoroughly inspect the kite? I know when its windy I'm in a rush (like all the riders i see at the spot) to pump up the kite and get out on the water. I find that I am more thorough and notice wear when I pump up the kite (in a grassy spot) on a non-windy day and rinse.
Good point, wind chaser. I am guilty of not inspecting my kites enough. I do inspect my bars and lines fairly frequently, but if I find a problem with my kite, it's usually before, during or after a session, and not during a dedicated inspection. Guilty as charged. :-?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:06 am

toddsphresh wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:25 am
NEVER rinse your kite. Rinse your bar thats it. this is after salt water use i know nothing about fresh water riding but ive been riding the same kites since 08 and they all are in great shape minus lots of bladder repairs
You probably ride occasionally :wink:

For me about 100-150 sessions per year (95% same kite). The salt deposits between the bladder and the canopy would be enormous if not cleaned every now and than.

The pullies, if any, and bridles would be eaten by the sand/salt.

So no, you are utterly wrong. Sorry, my experience differs.

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:29 am

washing your bridles and pulleys should be cleaned every time you ride silly.we are talking about washing your kite. never store a wet or sandy kite but assuming your kite didnt take a bath in the ocean or get sandy on the beach you never need to wash it. always fold and brush off sand and pack properly and you never need to wash. i ride anytime its windy and its been pretty epic here on south carolina coast with solid 25 knots or greater most days. ive been using the same kites since 2008 and mine look great. how old are your kites..

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:16 am

Nope, you're going from one extreme to another, the bridles do not to be washed every time, no one does that. You're kidding yourself if you think that they are after every sesh.

The kite can't survive 150 sessions per year for 9 years. As you said, that's plain silly thinking. The colors fade away, particularly yellowish spectrum, and the fabric stretches. After 300 sessions this is clearly visible. The pulleys are so abraded they need to be replaced, providing you are looping the kite quite often.

Proof of the salt deposits are mostly on tips and can't be brushed away. That salt deposits create a tiny crystals and they (plus sand), eventually abrade the bladder on tips. How would one brush off from inside the LE is unknown to me.

If yours look great that means they do not 'live' in an harsh environment and punished by the kiter. Better question is, what's your riding style? I've got an 2006 XBow which hardly seen any water, looks great, with still crispy fabric.

PS

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2397735&p=991345

So, the valves are off...? :) Happens with the old kites you know.

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:09 pm

By wash I mean clean off sand and debris that is all I do. My flexifoil ion 3s are all in great shape brides are great only thing I battle is the valves that and my bar broke in 2 after ten years of use last session

Return to “Kitesurfing”