chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Hydro - Foil Prices

Postby chemosavi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:02 pm

Though I haven't personally bought into a hydrofoil aside from the one I made myself, I do wonder about the prices some of these things are selling for.
2000 euros?
A very comprehensive big truck fiberglass semi bumper sells for 500 euros that has a lot more material and labor.
The labor to sew a kite compared to that to CNC an aluminum wing? Even your average twin tip seems more involved from the same standpoint.
Wary intaresting.......... love to hear some justifications for what seems like a very over priced commodity
ice_screenshot_20171004-145247.jpeg
ice_screenshot_20171004-145247.jpeg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 3776 times

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hydro - Foil Prices

Postby tegirinenashi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 pm

Supply-demand? In case if you are not aware, there is a lengthy thread discussing Chinese competition in hydrofoil section. Currently, there are 2 vendors on aliexpress, but I wouldn't be surprised if next year there would be 10.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:00 am

No, I am not aware and a big thanks for that link which was very illuminating. 300 bucks for a foil!
Just keeping track of the Kardashians takes pretty much all of my available brain cells so your help was invaluable.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:49 am

Size of market + supply and demand. You can get motorized vehicles for cheap hydrofoil prices as well...but the size of market on those...

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 am

So you are comparing dirt cheap mass produce RIM parts to autoclaved pre-preg carbon fiber parts. It is like comparing space crafts to paper planes.
A twin tip is cheap RTM and requires very little lay-up work. You could make cheaper hydrofoils using RTM and get similar results as with pre-preg, but so far non of the companies are investing in it due to low numbers.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 am

Just want to clear this up. I have ordered those china foils, and you know what, they are not made from Carbon. They are made like the Carafinos where back in the day. Fibreglass with a thin sightlayer of Carbon. Hence the super cheap price on those. They do work, but they are heavy, more flexible and definitely not as durable.

You basically get what you pay for. Those USD 2000 plus foils, like Mikes Lab, Z-Foil, Levitaz, Moses etc. are also not produced in china, and are produced with expensive high end materials.

And once again what people always forget, is the money/time invested in the design and development of the product. The Chinese factory that just copied someone design did not have to do any development work and does not need to recoup the investment, but the brand that actually designed it does. This goes for all products. If the guys who actually design new cool stuff don't earn anything from their product, then they will stop designing them, and this is a bad thing in the long run.

--
Gunnar

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:46 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 am
Just want to clear this up. I have ordered those china foils, and you know what, they are not made from Carbon. They are made like the Carafinos where back in the day. Fibreglass with a thin sightlayer of Carbon. Hence the super cheap price on those. They do work, but they are heavy, more flexible and definitely not as durable.

You basically get what you pay for. Those USD 2000 plus foils, like Mikes Lab, Z-Foil, Levitaz, Moses etc. are also not produced in china, and are produced with expensive high end materials.

And once again what people always forget, is the money/time invested in the design and development of the product. The Chinese factory that just copied someone design did not have to do any development work and does not need to recoup the investment, but the brand that actually designed it does. This goes for all products. If the guys who actually design new cool stuff don't earn anything from their product, then they will stop designing them, and this is a bad thing in the long run.

--
Gunnar
:thumb: :thumb:

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 am
they are not made from Carbon. They are made like the Carafinos where back in the day. Fibreglass with a thin sightlayer of Carbon.
Gunnar
Sure hope manual carabelos, alias manny mango carafino, carabella, ect.. evil bad karma catches up with him! :angryfire:
R H

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 pm

There's too many assholes alive for karma to be real

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:24 pm

FrederikS wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 am
A twin tip is cheap RTM and requires very little lay-up work. You could make cheaper hydrofoils using RTM and get similar results as with pre-preg, but so far non of the companies are investing in it due to low numbers.
TT's are not RTM (resin transfer molding) but compression molding (same tech as skis and snowboards). They do in fact require layup work but not like the negative molds of high end foils.

I'm guessing the cost vs return on RTM molds and machines, probably with engineering/injection limitations is why people aren't RTM'ing fuselage/ wing combos. But the new north foil might be CF reinforced PA...but that's not confirmed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”