Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What are best wetsuits for winter windy extreme conditions?

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

What are best wetsuits for winter windy extreme conditions?

Postby omg » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:10 pm

What wetsuits do you recommmend for extreme cold weather? I am talking abt zero temps here.

I have a good deal (-50%) on 2015 Xcel Infinity X2 6/5mm but before committing, should I pay double for 2017 some other highend wetsuit? I wonder if flashbomb style furry fluffy innerside is the way to go and worth the extra euros? Also, is there a big difference in warmth for 6mm suits between "soft" outside and "gummy" type, closed cell/mesh?

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What are best wetsuits for winter windy extreme conditions?

Postby matth » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:17 pm

Drysuit only for me. Always warm, coming, going and on the water, never cold.

nismo98
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mitchells Bay
Style: boost, wake, surf
Gear: CWB PRIZM Boots on a LF BOB 137 wakeboard.
LF Index Boots on a Nobile 666 142 kiteboard
5m LF envy
8m Best TS
10.5 Best Kahoona
12m OR Razor
14m OR Prodigy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby nismo98 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:33 pm

matth wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:17 pm
Drysuit only for me. Always warm, coming, going and on the water, never cold.
Drysuits can be sketchy when far from shore. If there is a rip in the suit you will quickly get cold and have a hard time swimming. I use a 6/5 with a wetsuit Hoodie. If you want the most of your winter session there is also heated Rashie that I have heard works well and last 2-3 hours before charging.

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Flashbomb is def worth extra money. Not only does it dry quickly it does seem to keep you warmer. My 3/2 flash bomb is warmer than my 4/3 regular. The best way to keep warm is not to get cold before you get in the water. I found if I do get cold prior my sesh is doomed.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 pm

The fleece on the inside is really warm, and I'd get one with as much fleece coverage as possible for those Temps. rubber outside will also add warmth. Look at the Ripcurl Flashbomb, it's known to be a gold standard for warmth. If you got a 5-6 with hood, it's probably the warmest you'll find. Add an impact vest over and it's warmer.
I have a 5-4 Flashbomb and it's warm down to 3C, I've not kited in less.
The flashbomb 5mm booties are good, they have the fleece lining. and you'll need some good 3mm gloves.

I've also used a drysuit, and they are more comfortable and warmer, on or out of the water, but if you are in the water, they are colder because they compress out the air.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:46 pm

The thing with wetsuits is that they keep you warm when your in the water. Wind on a wetsuit when your up and riding makes you cold. Dry suits protect you from the wind. Ive been using dry suits daily for 25 years and have never put a hole in one. Get a goretex dry suit and you will be happy. Kokotat makes the best one on the market and is guaranteed for life.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:04 pm

omg wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:10 pm
What wetsuits do you recommmend for extreme cold weather? I am talking abt zero temps here.

I have a good deal (-50%) on 2015 Xcel Infinity X2 6/5mm but before committing, should I pay double for 2017 some other highend wetsuit? I wonder if flashbomb style furry fluffy innerside is the way to go and worth the extra euros? Also, is there a big difference in warmth for 6mm suits between "soft" outside and "gummy" type, closed cell/mesh?
If you're talking about East Coast USA, surfing in semi slushy ocean water, then probably not. But for hovering above zero kiting, that suit would probably suffice for all but the coldest of days. Assuming it's hooded that is.

That is the middle range in xcel line ... 1 up is Revolt, then 1 up further is Dryloc. I am not positive about how much of the upper lines is hype and how much is improved quality. The infiniti should have the glued and double stitched seams and heavy duty tape ... that's key. I don't think there's all that much improvement between 2015 and 2017. They made the interior a little more fuzzy (quicker drying) multicolour material. I have been very happy with xcel quality over the years. I recently had a ripcurl flashbomb, also a good suit, found it pretty much comparable.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:56 pm

Drysuit is the warmest, but the drag is a deal breaker.

I have the last generation of the OR surf drysuit which is totally swimmable, but they don't make it any more. It works as advertised, super comfy, better range of motion than a wetsuit and as warm as you layer it. It's a crazy layering concept and too much hassle to put on, but once on, its awesome. The top wetsuits are killer too. Super happy with a patagonia, full lining, most of it wool. It's faultless.

If I'm leaving town... drysuit all the way.

Kiting from home, wetsuit every time.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:14 pm

waynepjh wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:46 pm
The thing with wetsuits is that they keep you warm when your in the water. Wind on a wetsuit when your up and riding makes you cold. Dry suits protect you from the wind.
This pleas for wetsuits..
Ik you are riding you need less isolation then when in the water..
I never get cold riding. (Impact vest) Always due to bodydrag / swimming or pausing on the beach.

Bradford
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North Shore Massachusetts

Postby Bradford » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:40 pm

omg wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:10 pm
Go for it! I wore that exact suit in 35 deg F water temp, 30 deg air temp, and 30 kt wind conditions and was fine with a .5 mm shirt underneath. Keep in mind surface area to volume matters...I'm 6'0" and 210 lbs...so it worked for me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”