Style: Freeride TT, strapless foil and wave
Gear: Naish Pivot 9,12 Nash Slash 5,7
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2018 Naish kites

Postby Pellesurf » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:41 pm

BudhaNl wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:50 pm
I didn't see much difference between '15&'16 Pivots but the '17 I just got is quite different. It's smoother and has a bigger windrange. I wasn't considering changing my 7m '16 but after the experiences with the '17 9m I am seriously contemplating just that. Of course imho ymmv etc.

It sounds almost too good to be true, but it's amazing if 2017/18 is more smother and has even bigger windrange than 2015/16 which I already think is amazing.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Pellesurf wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:41 pm
BudhaNl wrote:
I didn't see much difference between '15&'16 Pivots but the '17 I just got is quite different. It's smoother and has a bigger windrange. I wasn't considering changing my 7m '16 but after the experiences with the '17 9m I am seriously contemplating just that. Of course imho ymmv etc.

It sounds almost too good to be true, but it's amazing if 2017/18 is more smother and has even bigger windrange than 2015/16 which I already think is amazing.
I know, it sounds like it's right out of the marketing brochure :D . It is however my personal experience with that kite.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:07 am

BudhaNl wrote:
Yeah..i agree. Its also the advantage of having a few years to refine the kites. The 2018 11 poi it is such a tight kite both for strapped and strapless riding.

Pellesurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Haverdal, Sweden

Postby Pellesurf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Dirk wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:40 am
Pellesurf wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:29 am
Does anyone know if there is a big / noticeable difference between Pivot 2015 and 2017/18. I've been riding the 2015 Pivot 7.9 and 12 for three seasons now and think it's perfect and does not understand how it can be even better. I have ordered 2018 Pivot 9, 12 for freeriding and foiling. Have also ordered a Slash 7a for strapless waveriding and is very curious if there is a big difference between Pivot 7 and Slash 7 in waveriding
I have ridden all years of the Pivot and I am on the 2018 now. Similar set up to you: 8/11 Pivot and 5/7 Slash (both 2018). For 2017 I had a 6m Pivot and 7m Slash but rode the Slash only a few times. Both kites pretty much overlapped in their windrange. I think that is one difference, that the Pivot is somewhat more powerful, as it has a more open arc. I believe that the Slash turns quicker in the same size and it feels a bit more "relaxed" so you can focus on your waveriding. Jumping the Pivot is better (I ride strapped) but Slash was not bad. I will try out the Slash this time a lot more to see if it is good with a TT on high winds as well.

I did not feel huge differences between the different years of the Pivot but I never rode them side by side, so it is hard to tell. Anyway, the 2018 is great, rode my 8m now really powered up with TT and in mid to lower winds with SB. Really versatile. You can also nicely tune it by using the 24m or the 20m bar.
It's a bit funny how different people seem to experience the features when I am reading reviews and forums. In several reviews, Slash is described as very powerful and you feels the power from the kite continuously and especially at the turns, very similar to the old Park, which I find strange, when it at the same time is described as being good for strapless riding?
It is also described as it needs more demanding activity from the rider, Pivot they think is more babysitting, more powerless and no pull in turns.
Anyway, everyone writes that it is a nice fastturning wavekite with good drift. So I'll see when I get my Slash, which unfortunately takes a few months.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Pellesurf wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:39 pm
Dirk wrote:
Pellesurf wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:29 am
Does anyone know if there is a big / noticeable difference between Pivot 2015 and 2017/18. I've been riding the 2015 Pivot 7.9 and 12 for three seasons now and think it's perfect and does not understand how it can be even better. I have ordered 2018 Pivot 9, 12 for freeriding and foiling. Have also ordered a Slash 7a for strapless waveriding and is very curious if there is a big difference between Pivot 7 and Slash 7 in waveriding
I have ridden all years of the Pivot and I am on the 2018 now. Similar set up to you: 8/11 Pivot and 5/7 Slash (both 2018). For 2017 I had a 6m Pivot and 7m Slash but rode the Slash only a few times. Both kites pretty much overlapped in their windrange. I think that is one difference, that the Pivot is somewhat more powerful, as it has a more open arc. I believe that the Slash turns quicker in the same size and it feels a bit more "relaxed" so you can focus on your waveriding. Jumping the Pivot is better (I ride strapped) but Slash was not bad. I will try out the Slash this time a lot more to see if it is good with a TT on high winds as well.

I did not feel huge differences between the different years of the Pivot but I never rode them side by side, so it is hard to tell. Anyway, the 2018 is great, rode my 8m now really powered up with TT and in mid to lower winds with SB. Really versatile. You can also nicely tune it by using the 24m or the 20m bar.
It's a bit funny how different people seem to experience the features when I am reading reviews and forums. In several reviews, Slash is described as very powerful and you feels the power from the kite continuously and especially at the turns, very similar to the old Park, which I find strange, when it at the same time is described as being good for strapless riding?
It is also described as it needs more demanding activity from the rider, Pivot they think is more babysitting, more powerless and no pull in turns.
Anyway, everyone writes that it is a nice fastturning wavekite with good drift. So I'll see when I get my Slash, which unfortunately takes a few months.
Hi Pellesurf, I was wondering that the Slash being powerful in turns might actually be a good thing, especially in onshore conditions ?
I know that sometimes I could do with more pull from the kite,( so that the lines don't go too slack) when I am gybing off the face of a wave and onto the flat, at times like these, that slack feeling in the lines is scary, especially with a wave behind you. Ok, downlooping the kite, or being well powered helps, but if the Slash generates more power through turns it might be a good thing ? hope you enjoy the Slash kites, I ride Pivots, so look forward to your review.

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind

Postby stefarius » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Review Pivot vs Slash.
Both kite powerful, the Slash has the better drift.
With the Slash no slacked lines, no steering delay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy8iJAbzoTk

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:49 am

Has anyone ridden the 12m slash yet ?

Pellesurf
Medium Poster

Postby Pellesurf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 am

stefarius wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 pm
Review Pivot vs Slash.
Both kite powerful, the Slash has the better drift.
With the Slash no slacked lines, no steering delay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy8iJAbzoTk

Hmm, compare in different sizes....
I found a comparison between Pivot and Slash as two experienced Danish wave riders have done. One of them likes Pivot as the best, and the other rider likes Slash better. It seems that both kits are nice in waves and it is a matter of taste depending on the ridestyle, which of these kites you prefer.
http://kitesurferen.dk/component/easybl ... Itemid=703

Pellesurf
Medium Poster

Postby Pellesurf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm

jonysan wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:13 pm
Pellesurf wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:39 pm
Dirk wrote:

Hi Pellesurf, I was wondering that the Slash being powerful in turns might actually be a good thing, especially in onshore conditions ?
I know that sometimes I could do with more pull from the kite,( so that the lines don't go too slack) when I am gybing off the face of a wave and onto the flat, at times like these, that slack feeling in the lines is scary, especially with a wave behind you. Ok, downlooping the kite, or being well powered helps, but if the Slash generates more power through turns it might be a good thing ? hope you enjoy the Slash kites, I ride Pivots, so look forward to your review.

jonysan : I do not have the greatest experience of wave riding and have almost only experience from my Pivots. I have reacted and thought about the same as you describe, that it is scary when riding with / in front of the wave with a feeling of slack lines and a reduced response. Hopefully, Slash will handle this better as it seems to have a little better drift and is a bit deeper in the window.
Too much power in the turns can be a problem with strapless, but otherwise it may be fun if you master it and the power is delivered smoothly. I do not really think that the power in the turns affects the feeling of slack lines when riding the wave, its more about the drift and position in the window thats matter.

Pellesurf
Medium Poster

Postby Pellesurf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:14 am

By the way, a totally different kind of question :) . High jumps ? It is nice lift in the Pivot and sometimes I ride with Woo on my twintip. My highest jump is 9.2 meters, but it feels difficult to get over 10 meters.
It also requires a good technique and guts to jump really high. How high do you jump with the Pivot, anyone over 10 meters?

Return to “Kitesurfing”