Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

F one Bandit 12m 2018 V's 2017 review

Forum for kitesurfers
Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!
Has thanked: 0

F one Bandit 12m 2018 V's 2017 review

Postby Ianw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Me- 75 kg, Style – Freeride/wave
Conditions – wind 12 – 17 knots, no depower, riding TT, bar set at 52 cm.
See my previous 9m B11 review. viewtopic.php?t=2397765&p=991657
The extra bar pressure is more apparent on the 12m than the 9m, this IMO gives the kite:- better low end power & a more aggressive direct feel when looping the kite and coming out of transitions which in turn speeds up the turning ability of the kite. As stated with the 9m they have improved:- the upwind pointing ability of the kite (due to the reduced LE, I guess), boosting is smoother and hang time greater and landings are softer than the B10. The weird thing is that although the bar pressure has increased it’s not tiring on the arms I had a 2 hr session today and didn’t feel tired. Also the ability to dump power on a wave by sheeting out a few cms is just as good as it was on the B10. The bar is great I really like the under bar big swivel, so easy to untwist the lines. The big inflation valve so easy & simple to operate & less pumping time.
Overall- a more exciting, aggressive kite to fly than the B10 but with improved control. More freestyle orientated but have retained that great wave/surfing ability. A kite with a manic split personality enjoy!!!!

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: F one Bandit 12m 2018 V's 2017 review

Postby jeromeL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:36 pm

So it has an extra pulley, 6 totals? I wonder if this is just to improve the 1 line flagging or why they needed it.

I thought the previous version the LE was already pretty thin, kite still felt rigid and stable? Maybe on high end for bigger guy would be an issue? Maybe they used new dacron?
No clue how this relates to stability performance, perhaps that's no big deal once kite is up in the air with tension in bridle and line.
I feel like my older B7 wasn't so rigid but maybe it just got beat up too much and stitching got loose.

Owned only B7 and B8.

Ianw
Medium Poster

Postby Ianw » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:03 am

jeromeL wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:36 pm
So it has an extra pulley, 6 totals? I wonder if this is just to improve the 1 line flagging or why they needed it.

I thought the previous version the LE was already pretty thin, kite still felt rigid and stable? Maybe on high end for bigger guy would be an issue? Maybe they used new dacron?
No clue how this relates to stability performance, perhaps that's no big deal once kite is up in the air with tension in bridle and line.
I feel like my older B7 wasn't so rigid but maybe it just got beat up too much and stitching got loose.

Owned only B7 and B8.
Previously I've owned the B7, B8, B10 now the B11. The same type of pulley has been used throughout I've never had a problem with the pulleys or bridle. The boost is smoother when you pull in the bar maybe the extra pulley has made the difference. Don't know about the flagging out effect. The LE on the B11 is as rigid as the other versions I always pump my kites up to 10 psi as per the manual. The stability and windrange is better than the B10 with IMO a better low end. The B7 had the 3 point bridle connection the B8 onwards a 4 point which IMO greatly improved the stability & windrange. The B10 and B11 don't flap in tight turns unlike some previous versions.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:27 pm

I pump my Bandit to 8 psi max.

Ianw
Medium Poster

Postby Ianw » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:29 pm

K-Roy wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:27 pm
I pump my Bandit to 8 psi max.
From the B7,B8, B9 B10 & B11 kite manuals quote "Recommended pressure : 10 PSI" unquote. The centre strut needs to be totally inflated no wrinkles.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:39 pm

I know, seen the manual.
However, no complaints at 8 psi. and most importantly no wrinkles!
;-)

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:34 am

Good review. Yea, like the Bandit post B7...absolutely hated everything prior. I'm curious if this year's model also rides a little slower - or, as they put it, does not go as fast when riding so you can hit your tricks. This at first seems like you would want more speed but it actually does make sense to pull it back a bit and dedicate speed to a race kite.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ice101 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:57 pm

The bandit 10 definitely does flap in tight turns and especially loops! It doesn't effect the performance but you would think they would have fixed this by now.
Glad the b11 feels a little more aggressive again. From b8 to b10 they lost that aggressive ness and it felt more spongy and less reactive on the b10. Glad its back!

Ianw
Medium Poster

Postby Ianw » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Had my 3rd session with the 12m today. Wind 13 to 17 knots. The bottom end of this kite is phenomenal I was kiting in 13 knots to begin with going upwind like a train & getting some massive jumps. I’ve never flown a “C” kite before but I imagine this is the closest for a hybrid/bow kite. The pull is direct and heavy there is no sponginess or jelly like feel in the bar or kite, the kite feels like an extension of your arms. When you pull the bar in it rips you off the wave face. It’s very exciting quite unlike any other Bandit I’ve flown except for the short depower and great wave ability. Beginners beware this is not a kite for you. Can’t wait to try my 9m in steady 20 MPH winds

Return to “Kitesurfing”