Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite companies - please stop the wakestyle hype!

Forum for kitesurfers
Seawolf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wolfbeach
Gear: Elements 5

Re: Kite companies - please stop the wakestyle hype!!!

Postby Seawolf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Why can't we all just be friends.
Do whatever rocks your goat! Be it wake, freeride, race, foil, strapless.

Just because its not you're thing, doesn't mean others not enjoying it. And i dont think Kitecompanies these days hype up the other discipline over the other. Just check out the latest Fone videos, they appeal to many aspects of the sport.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DWX » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:03 pm

An opinion doesn’t have to lack objectivity, in fact the more valuable form of communication is trans-objective (a psychoanalytic term that stands for objects that are experienced as both outside and inside the “subject, like a teddy bear in childhood); Biblical hermeneutics introduces a mode of thinking that is neither objective nor subjective, which are Classical Greek philosophical terms and very far from our lived social reality...

Do you really wanna bore everyone here with a philosophical discussion of the principles of communicative action in scientific publishing, of which you clearly have no clue?

Take it or leave it: we would love to see a more balanced representation of style in marketing and advertising and we love personality as much if not more than handlepasses.... that’s all folks

KimAndersen
Rare Poster
Gear: Gin

Postby KimAndersen » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:25 pm

DWX wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:03 pm
An opinion doesn’t have to lack objectivity, in fact the more valuable form of communication is trans-objective (a psychoanalytic term that stands for objects that are experienced as both outside and inside the “subject, like a teddy bear in childhood); Biblical hermeneutics introduces a mode of thinking that is neither objective nor subjective, which are Classical Greek philosophical terms and very far from our lived social reality...

Do you really wanna bore everyone here with a philosophical discussion of the principles of communicative action in scientific publishing, of which you clearly have no clue?

Take it or leave it: we would love to see a more balanced representation of style in marketing and advertising and we love personality as much if not more than handlepasses.... that’s all folks
Not really a philosophical discussion at all.

I am merely saying that if people state as a fact that one style is unhealthy or more unhealthy than another style, they should really be able to back that up with a little more than "I have talked to pro riders". Thats like me stating the earth is flat, I know because I talked to some smart people about it.

The same goes for stating that 1 in 50 of an otherwise undefined "average joe kiter" does not give a f***.

That "you would love to see a more balanced representation of style in marketing and advertising and you love personality as much if not more than handlepasses.... that’s all folks", is perfectly fine and a lot people might share this opinion.

Personally I pretty much like to do and watch all styles of kitesurfing,

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:10 pm

KimAndersen wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:25 pm
DWX wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Not really a philosophical discussion at all.

I am merely saying that if people state as a fact that one style is unhealthy or more unhealthy than another style, they should really be able to back that up with a little more than "I have talked to pro riders". Thats like me stating the earth is flat, I know because I talked to some smart people about it.

The same goes for stating that 1 in 50 of an otherwise undefined "average joe kiter" does not give a f***.

That "you would love to see a more balanced representation of style in marketing and advertising and you love personality as much if not more than handlepasses.... that’s all folks", is perfectly fine and a lot people might share this opinion.

Personally I pretty much like to do and watch all styles of kitesurfing,
Well, let’s see, I’ve talked to at least three dozen Kite instructors in my lifetime— these are professionals — and none of them cared to recommend a handlepass.... I also flew next to a double femur fracture from a handlepass in boots once ... is that sufficient to back up my claims?

You are getting petty... all you need to do is ride a c-Kite and land ONE Riley really hard to feel the insane pressure on your knees or snap your meniscus like my husband did trying wakestyle tricks for the camera and you’d know this style isn’t exactly the healthiest... no need for statistics

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:38 pm

I also prefer when videos aren't 100% wakestyle. Pretty boring when you don't unhook.

Having said that just landed my first Raley to Blind ;) on my last session, pretty stoked!

Unhooking with speed with kite low can really be painful when you mess up, sometimes kite being low slack so much that you land with 0 support from kite, I guess that's when a longer board can be a bit useful.

Learning to land blind is pretty painful on the toes and ankle when you land on your toeside edge by mistake, even on kooky raley 3-6 feet up ;)

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:01 pm

Well maybe some evil demon arranged my life so that I keep running into kiters suffering wakestyle injuries, keep talking to pros who put the style in question healthwise and keep reading magazines that warn us about potential injuries, but somehow I doubt it’s just me or my evil genius... rileys aren’t that dangerous, if that’s as far as you push it... many survive them intact, but that’s just beginnner wakestyle...

we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Postby we » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:07 pm

I second this. I want to see more "mowing the lawn". That's my favorite style. Or better yet, underpowered sloggy mowing the lawn, that what I do best. Kind of like pushing the lawn tractor when it's broke down.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm waiting for kite companies to pick up on the "mowing the lawn" style kitesurfing.
We can all do it. I quite often enjoy it, no pressure, no scary wind, lesser chance of injury to all including beach goers watching in amazement. Kite schools can get a faster turn over as training can be shorter. No improvement courses needed. Skill level within reach of just about anyone. A lot of people could even teach themselves. And so long as everyone spends crazy amount of money for the best looking gear then we can all look fabulous doing it.
Maybe with my lawn mowing skills I can become sponsored by the biggest and best brands.
Surf my local spot showing off all the gear.
I really think the kite companies are missing a trick.

;)

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Lol
I'm waiting for an interview on the new discipline, we call that skytesurf back home
Attachments
IMG_4119.JPG
IMG_4113.JPG

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:46 pm

U know just the other day i was thinking about the same thing. All of tht bending and twisting and warping of the body will eventually do some long term damage as time go on. I think if u look at most pros they have vanished from the scene after a few years. Hell i been strapping in to a kite for more than 12 years and its the reason i cant stand to wear a waist harness anymore. Just to much aches after a session. Ill mow the lawn anyday infact to me kiting is about relaxing and enjoying nature and occasionally pushing the limit to have some fun. I think thats a stage though usually with people with less than 10 years kiting wanting to push the limits i hear some guys say oh i dont go out till its blowing 20 knts and i just laugh . I would say 10 to 20 knts is more than enough for an awesone session with the right kites. once it gets to 30 knts its not fun anymore for me. Danger to fun level is too high along with the choppy water dosent do it for me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”