Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wave surfing swell with kite hydrofoil

Forum for kitesurfers
Erlend M B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Sideshore.no (Wainman Hawaii, Nobile, Crazy Fly)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wave surfing swell with kite hydrofoil

Postby Erlend M B » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:34 pm

I've been seeing a lot of kai lenny videos lately, and really want to try surfing ocean swell with a hydrofoil. I have a noble freestyle hydrofoil. I think the wing has a lower "ar" (if that is the right word for foils) than the foils kai lenny is using. Has anyone tried surfing ocean swell with a kite surfing hydrofoil? Will my foil work, or does it require a longer wing?

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster

Re: Wave surfing swell with kite hydrofoil

Postby Erlend M B » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:35 pm

And yeah, I'm thinking of towing in with a boat, and surf it without a kite or anything else towing me.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Should be at least somewhat possible.
If you can pump the foil to keep riding when the kite has no pull, you can probably do downwinders without kite once you are moving.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:19 pm

It was one of my favorite things way back on the carafino foil. Any foil today should do it fine... even on small swell.

Wait..Do you mean without kite? I'd say you'll have some problems with a kite foil. Why not look for bigger wings?

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster

Postby Erlend M B » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:33 pm

I got no clue about what to look for. My searches on Google hasn't been successful in finding info. I'm just guessing I need a bigger wing, as the glide number on mine seems low. I got no idea tho, I've just been trying it twice behind my boat, and am just getting a feel for riding on the foil as for now.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 am

I have been kite foiling a while, about to get into SUP foil too. I think you'll find the kite foil doesn't give enough lift to be able stay up on the foil at surfing speeds. Though I've never tried.

The big name in SUP/surf foil is GoFoil. Wing looks quite large in relation to kite foils, much more surface area. I just got a cheap(er) Chinese knockoff of a Takuma V100. It has a massive front wing, scooped out like a snow shovel. It is intended for SUP/surf but some forum members use it with kite to go slowly in waves. Reports are that it's max speed under a kite is about 10kts.

Slingshot and other brands are making large wings now too. Some brands allow wings to be interchanged, but usually only within their brand. They won't fit universally.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:01 pm

If you have a look in the hydrofoil section, there is a discussion about $300 foils from china. I think some of the links to some of those are for rip off copies of the takuma surf foil. Thats where I'd start looking

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster

Postby Erlend M B » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks, i came to about page 3, then it turned into a shit flinging competition. :o

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Hey there is a nice video by legend Sam Pa'a intoducing people to SUP foils. They briefly discuss that you need a bigger wing.

I do not know if your mast etc is compatible with the Naish foils, but as far as I understand it is the same connection system as a few others. https://www.naishfoils.com/
If not you could contact the company producing yours to see if they have bigger foils. I'd say one thing about that, consider getting foils from companies that knows both sports and therefore have competencies in both.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 pm

Erlend M B wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:34 pm
I've been seeing a lot of kai lenny videos lately, and really want to try surfing ocean swell with a hydrofoil. I have a noble freestyle hydrofoil. I think the wing has a lower "ar" (if that is the right word for foils) than the foils kai lenny is using. Has anyone tried surfing ocean swell with a kite surfing hydrofoil? Will my foil work, or does it require a longer wing?

Hi

Your wing is 835 cm2 and probably a pretty normal cambered wing.

Which means it is really big in "normal" hydrofoil terms, but of course a bit small in pure foil surfing (SUP) terms.

That it has lower AR, meaning less glide, does not mean anything for wavesurfing, on the contrary - it will turn better than those with higher AR and start just as early.

So it should work okay I would think, can be used for tow in foil surf and also as a light wind kitefoil.

But you have to be quite good of course, when not huge sized :D

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”