Airush Union vs. Ultra

Forum for kitesurfers
aeberl
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Airush Union vs. Ultra

Postby aeberl » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Which one turns faster?
Which one would be the better choice for riding waves strapless cross/off?

MrWolf
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Woodies Point
Gear: 2016 North Vegas + 2016 Airush Razors
2016 Airush Livewire 140 + 2016 North Wam
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush Union vs. Ultra

Postby MrWolf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Hey Aeberl,

What size are you looking at? IMO I really liked the Ultra response in the larger sizes or riding underpowered. I would say it turns faster in low-end conditions better than a larger Union simply because of the weight difference. For smaller size where you are riding lit - I like the Union as it is a bit more versatile in overpower conditions to ride between Wave and Twintip/jumping.

If only wave riding, Have you considered the Airush Wave?

I would highly recommend this kite if you are focused on fast turning and strapless wave riding.
I have only fantastic sessions riding that kite in waves especially if this is your primary focus.

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:28 pm

I am currently riding BRM 9m C2 and are lookong for a kite for low wind condictions in waves (10 to 16 knots). I am not sure the Airush Wave will give me agility and quick response in that wind range.

MrWolf
Rare Poster

Postby MrWolf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:54 pm

Hands down go for the Ultra.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Ultra 7 day a week and twice on Sunday.

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip

Postby Seabizzle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:12 am

I'm looking to put together an airush quiver 7-9 wave and 12 ultra. Strapless wave riding is my primary focus ( in life :wink: ) I feel like for wave riding in smaller sizes and stronger winds the wave would beat the ultra in fast turning and responsiveness. But in lighter winds the ultra would win due to the excellent drift and light weight

MrWolf
Rare Poster

Postby MrWolf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 am

Seabizzle wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:12 am
I'm looking to put together an airush quiver 7-9 wave and 12 ultra. Strapless wave riding is my primary focus ( in life :wink: ) I feel like for wave riding in smaller sizes and stronger winds the wave would beat the ultra in fast turning and responsiveness. But in lighter winds the ultra would win due to the excellent drift and light weight
Spot on. I really like the Ultra but if you live in West Oz, the 7-9 Wave combo is magical for those green arrow days.
I would pick the 12m Ultra over the 12m Wave for sure in the low-end days.
The 12m Wave is great, but then they came out with the 12 Ultra and I tried it. I don't see myself riding multi strut kites above a 10m anymore.

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm

My current set up is 7 and 9 Wave, but looking to add a lighter wind kite option. I only ride surfboard, but not always wave riding.

Was going to order a 12M wave, but locals are telling me utlra is a better choice. But what is interesting is guys around here are choosing a 9M ultra to replace a 12M wave!

I have a though time believing a 9M ultra can replace a 12M kite even if it's a wave kite.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

MrWolf
Rare Poster

Postby MrWolf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:25 pm

nicor wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm
My current set up is 7 and 9 Wave, but looking to add a lighter wind kite option. I only ride surfboard, but not always wave riding.

Was going to order a 12M wave, but locals are telling me utlra is a better choice. But what is interesting is guys around here are choosing a 9M ultra to replace a 12M wave!

I have a though time believing a 9M ultra can replace a 12M kite even if it's a wave kite.

I would only consider dropping the 12m and getting a 9m Ultra if I owned a foilboard.

Really tough to say what the guys around your end are trying to do without knowing what they have in terms of boards, weight, conditions etc.

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:38 pm

MrWolf wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:25 pm
nicor wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm

I would only consider dropping the 12m and getting a 9m Ultra if I owned a foilboard.

Really tough to say what the guys around your end are trying to do without knowing what they have in terms of boards, weight, conditions etc.
They are good kiters for sure, and mostly wave riding. Boards we ride are mostly noesless/parallel rails (vaders,vanguard ...etc), so they work quite well in light winds with a quad set up. I Don't think we are talking ultra light wind conditions, but probably more like 12 knots and up.

What I'm hearing is that the kite is fast and can be worked to generate the power with a board that is not too power hungry. The idea is when you're on the wave the kite drifts amazing in light wind and can be moved around with little wind velocity. This options would not work for surfboard freestyle in lighter conditions though, just surfing and cruising around I guess.

Anyways, I'm really not sure on this one, but I have heard from a number of kiters that the 9M ulta would be preferred to the 12M wave.

Return to “Kitesurfing”