Forum for kitesurfers
mz16
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

La Ventana

Postby mz16 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:22 am

So I am planning on going to La Ventana, and was wondering if anyone has any info. What are the locals like? What is the water? Waves, chop, flats? any sweet secret spots I should know about? any dangers? I love downwinders, is it possible there? will the wind still be good in march? what variety of kites should I bring if I am about 90kilos?
any advice/help would be great...

Hybridkiter
Medium Poster

Re: La Ventana

Postby Hybridkiter » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:35 am

Awesome place to kite and hang! I try and go twice a year. Yes, March is good. In fact, I am going last week of March. Super easy launching as wind is side to side on and the bay forms a giant "L", so no matter what you will end up on a beach if need be. More "crowded" to the south at Baja Joes, Casa Verde, etc. More solitude north--Captain Kirk's, Mr Bills, El Sargento etc. Great down-winder from the big arroyo in El Sargento. The "Bufadora" has great waves. Just ask around. Every kind of water is there, from waves to butter. Folks are super friendly and helpful.

Super friendly village with many cheap and tasty taco bars to choose from. Some reefs, so booties are good. In sandy spots SHUFFLE YOUR FEET. If you don't you will eventually get nailed by a small ray. It hurts like hell, but if you soak your foot in the hottest water you can stand for 30 minutes you will be riding again in 2 hours. If you shuffle in the sand you won't get hit. Several good reef breaks. Again, just ask around.

At 190 lbs I use a 12m Bow about 60-70% of the time, and a 9 bow for the rest.

I love that place and hope to buy property there soon.

Cheers!

mz16
Frequent Poster

Postby mz16 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:42 pm

thanks a lot

kiterjenx
Rare Poster

Postby kiterjenx » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:18 pm

yo
going down there in feb .

have a house on the beach. but don't have internet acess. any place to get the hook up for my lap top. need to show off to the kitecrew back home in the cold .

see ya on the water

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Check out the SeptOct07 FREE online edition of The Kiteboarder Magazine which has a feature story on La Ventana along with a great fact file RE: wind, weather, riding, lodging and grinds. We are currently in down here for the Classic Kite Race and KiteXpo with 16 brands participating demoing their 2008 gear including Airush, Best, Blade Kiteboarding, Caution, Cabrinha, Carafino, Fone, Flysurfer, Freak Dog, Liquid Force, Naish, North, Ocean Rodeo, RRD/Mystic and Slingshot!

If you missed this event, mark your calendar for Pismo Beach, California April 12 and 13! We'll be having the 6th Annual Xtreme Big Air Kite Xpo then:-)

Ventana is awesome -- Come on down! See the article at http://www.theringmedia.com/PDFS/TheKit ... er2007.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ted B
Frequent Poster

Postby Ted B » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:48 pm

Hey Everyone
How is the event Going?????

I really wish I could of been there. I hope everyone has a great time and the weather is nice and windy for you all!!!!!!!!!! Cheers TED B.

arsene2000
Medium Poster

Postby arsene2000 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:43 am

For more info on La Ventana, go to http://www.bestoflaventana.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For more kitesurfing related info, http://www.kitemasters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The La Ventana Classic Race was great today: 130 participants !!!!!
Tomorrow the Finals, and over the next 3 days, the kiteloop contest and old School trick contest !
Plus the kiteXpo that started today with 16 manufacturers: Awsome.

James_the_Canuck
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The Kite Ranch, Keho Lake Alberta Canada
The Old Man River Dam, Pincher Creek, Alberta Canada
Favorite Beaches: Keho Lake, AB
Manzanita, OR
Ocean Beach, SF, CA
La Ventana, Baja Sur
Style: Recreational
Gear: 07 Best Waroos -7m, 13m
08 Best Nemi HP- 9m
Best Pro 124

Postby James_the_Canuck » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:59 am

I'm kinda repeating myself but..........

If you are on facebook, you can search for "la ventana kiteboarding" in the groups. there you will find people who have either been there, are going there, or are there currently ....some info and photos as well.....

James_the_Canuck
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The Kite Ranch, Keho Lake Alberta Canada
The Old Man River Dam, Pincher Creek, Alberta Canada
Favorite Beaches: Keho Lake, AB
Manzanita, OR
Ocean Beach, SF, CA
La Ventana, Baja Sur
Style: Recreational
Gear: 07 Best Waroos -7m, 13m
08 Best Nemi HP- 9m
Best Pro 124

Postby James_the_Canuck » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:05 am

kiterjenx wrote:yo
going down there in feb .

have a house on the beach. but don't have internet acess. any place to get the hook up for my lap top. need to show off to the kitecrew back home in the cold .

see ya on the water
You can get online for a price at Pablos(Viento el norte resturant by the main campground). You will be looking for a dude named Kevin. Good luck tracking him down. $20 got me 2 weeks access wireless on my laptop.
You can go to baja Joes and use their 2 pc's for a small donation.
You can go to Kijote's (the best coffee shop in baja) and borrow a hardline connection there.
Palapas Ventana also has access, unsure of the costs though.

Have fun......

Return to “Kitesurfing”