Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginner kitesurfer holiday Feb 2013 - Where to go?

Forum for kitesurfers
alybee
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lancing, worthing
Gear: 6m 9m
Brand Affiliation: North
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginner kitesurfer holiday Feb 2013 - Where to go?

Postby alybee » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi guys

I've had a good look at this forum and it has lots of info, but I'm wondering if anyone can help me? I've got 5 weeks holiday, all of Feb til 8th March 2013. I've seen the post about the best places to go in Feb but I'm a beginner, at body dragging stage at the moment, so I think my list of requirements are a little bit different from all you experienced guys! I have all my own kit, a 6m and 9m kite and I'm looking for somewhere kind of warmish with flatish water and cheapish (ie not an all inclusive spa hotel in the Caribbean!) I will need to take a few lessons from a school to progress onto the board. A fellow kitesurfer went to Mui Ne and said there were too many fishing nets tripping kitesurfers up and it was pretty choppy for a beginner. I don't think the wind is strong enough in Feb in Naqb (it didn't make the Feb list!), maybe someone can prove me wrong? How about Cancun/Cozumel/Tullum, Hua Hin, Florida? Someones post said there wasn't any flat water in La Ventana and it rained in Borocay in Feb!!!

I realise that no place is perfect and you can't guarantee the wind but I really want to crack it and practice as much as I can.

I'd appreciate any information you can give me as the more I read the more confused I get!! Many thanks. By the way I'm on the South Coast of England which is amazing but way too cold in the Winter and I love travelling!!

Hellen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: dahab, egypt
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Beginner kitesurfer holiday Feb 2013 - Where to go?

Postby Hellen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:03 am

Hi,
I am so happy you decide to try this amazing sport. Well as beginner I would suggest a beautiful spot in Dahab, Egypt.
I usually hang out in a kite center called Happy Kite located right on the beach. The spot is flat and mainly shallow water lagoon perfect for beginner. You have the advantage of feeling confidence and safe while learning to ride with the possibility to have all help and gears if necessary. Daily you can find all the right condition of temperature (around 27°C) and wind (average up to 25 knots) to get a ride and have a lot of fun in the water.
In Happy Kite you will always find nice and easygoing international surfers. English, German, Italian and Russian speaking IKO instructors are always happy to share their knowledge and passion for kiting. A beautiful chill out area with carpet and free Internet is the living room of the station, just a couple of steps far from the beach.
As accommodation in the city center you can find a lot of cheap hotels, bungalow and camping provide you an experience more in contact with the local atmosphere. Life is easy here!
I really hope to see you over here!! :D
Greetings from golden Dahab, endless summer for wind addicted!

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Re: Beginner kitesurfer holiday Feb 2013 - Where to go?

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:42 pm

St. Petersburg, Florida has everything you are looking for.
Shallow, flat water for progressing, 20+ mile downwinders in the Gulf, Cable Park in Tampa for no-wind days, nightlife, etc., etc. You will not find more beginner friendly kite spots that what we have here, with around 16 kite spots in the area.

We now have a partnership with the local shop (Saltwater Kite & Paddle) on St. Pete Beach and a great hotel (Postcard Inn), so use the code "SALTWATER" for discounted room rates at PCI. :thumb:

Feel free to contact us for additional info or to book some lessons. I would make your reservations now because it is the peak of tourist season and the hotels will be full.

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”