br44
Medium Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby br44 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:43 am

soplo wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:13 pm
I have an Ozone Access that got caught in a REALLY strong gust while attached to an anchor (let's not talk about it...). The kite now pulls to one side.
Do you know about using an anchor with 2 ropes? One relatively weak rope holds the chicken loop -- and should fail relatively quickly, say at 50 kg / 110 lbs or so. The other rope holds the front line safety (or 5th line) and can be very strong. In case of a big gust or other problem, the first rope is expected to fail quickly, before the kite gets damaged or the bridle is stretched.
These users thanked the author br44 for the post:
soplo (Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:38 pm)
Rating: 3.13%

soplo
Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP

Postby soplo » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:39 pm

Thanks, all, very much appreciated!

And thanks for the tip on the two-anchor system. I was not aware of that, and it sounds like a good idea.

mmclimbhigh
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: MiraMaui
Style: Snowkite (Windsurf h2o)
Gear: Ozone Summit, Frenzy, Sub-Zero
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Solar

Postby mmclimbhigh » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:49 pm

BUMMER!! Sounds like you have damaged/reconfigured your bridle. There are some good videos about speed pulley system replacement out there:

Perhaps an email to Ozone asking for information about replacing the whole bridle might be in order? From what I can tell, it doesn't look overly complicated. Sorry to hear this! I had some issues with my 10m Summit when a tree jumped out of the woods and snagged my kite a few years ago. I checked the recommended bridle stretch measurements and made a few adjustments. Seems to be flying well now.

Good luck!

Note: Sunday at Crystal may be looking good (south wind) as we patiently await the north winds for grander adventures....
These users thanked the author mmclimbhigh for the post (total 2):
soplo (Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:15 am) • B-Roc (Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:46 pm)
Rating: 6.25%

ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby ScottN » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:34 am

Kited Taylor reservoir and surrounding hills today. The snow is filling in pretty well around the reservoir but you still need your rock skis. Reservoir is all frozen with about 8 inches of snow, some slush and some icy spots. Just thought I would pass it on for the early kite season people. Looks like some more wind tomorrow through the weekend!

galewarning
Medium Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch Helium2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6/8m SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:01 pm

@ScottN,
This is the Taylor Park Res. accessed between CB and Gunni, right?
Also, know if Clear Creek and/or Twin Lakes ever freeze over enough to kite?
-B
ScottN wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:34 am
Kited Taylor reservoir and surrounding hills today. The snow is filling in pretty well around the reservoir but you still need your rock skis. Reservoir is all frozen with about 8 inches of snow, some slush and some icy spots. Just thought I would pass it on for the early kite season people. Looks like some more wind tomorrow through the weekend!

ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby ScottN » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:08 am

That is correct, north on HWY 135, turn right at Almont on 742, Taylor is at the end of the road in the winter. Summer you can go over Cottonwood pass into Buena Vista.
These users thanked the author ScottN for the post:
galewarning (Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:41 pm)

galewarning
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch Helium2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6/8m SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:33 am

Answered the 2nd part of my question by finding out that there's a huge ice fishing contest on Twin Lakes every year. So, can assume both those lakes freeze solid.
ScottN wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:08 am
That is correct, north on HWY 135, turn right at Almont on 742, Taylor is at the end of the road in the winter. Summer you can go over Cottonwood pass into Buena Vista.

galewarning
Medium Poster

Postby galewarning » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:01 pm

Peak sizing?
Thought I'd ask this of my CO neighbors, since most of my limited snowkite sessions are up into CO from NM. The most common size LEI kite I've kited in the snow with is a 12m. Also used a 10, 14 and 15. For those of you who use Peaks, what size(s) do you use for soft snow conditions? I'm at the point when not having to carry and pump a kite sounds attractive and would like to add a Peak into my quiver, instead of using my water kites.
Let it snow!
-Barry

mmclimbhigh
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: MiraMaui
Style: Snowkite (Windsurf h2o)
Gear: Ozone Summit, Frenzy, Sub-Zero
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Solar

Postby mmclimbhigh » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:23 pm

Hey Barry,

I don't have much experience with Flysurfer (Ozone quiver for me). That said, my most used kites in the San Juans are 10m-13m. Most quivers around here start at about a 7m and go up to at least 15m. I believe Anthony has some monster 21m for ultra-ultra light days up on Grand Mesa! Regarding powder shredding, I guess a lot has to do with the specific situation...there are too many variables to suggest an exact size. Blasting around the meadows or lakes with a foot of pow is much different than looping the kite up the mountain. Weight and skill of rider? Skis/snowboard? Fat skis or pinners? Altitude? Gusty or steady? The cool think about snowkites (Peak, SubZero, etc.) is that you can throw 2 different kites in your pack. If wind or conditions warrant, you could simply up or downsize to meet your needs. Hope this helps!

Cheers!
These users thanked the author mmclimbhigh for the post:
galewarning (Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:43 pm)

galewarning
Medium Poster

Postby galewarning » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:01 pm

mmclimbhigh,
Thanks for the reply. Guess I was wondering if a single skin kite, like the Peak, is equivalent to the same size LEI kite. Other than my first few snowkite sessions on lakes with a 9m, Dillon and Eagle Nest, everything else is seeking out powder and needing more power, 10-15m LEIs at places like Red Mtn. Pass, Skyline and Brazos Cliffs [US-64].
I can imagine that taking along two kites like the Peak, is probably lighter than a single LEI and pump.
Looks like this last week of December, into the new year, is a train of 3-4 storms into SW CO, resulting in high avy danger and possibly historic-sized releases...
Let it snow and blow,
-B
Edit: Found this thread. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2409109
mmclimbhigh wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:23 pm
Hey Barry,

I don't have much experience with Flysurfer (Ozone quiver for me). That said, my most used kites in the San Juans are 10m-13m. Most quivers around here start at about a 7m and go up to at least 15m. I believe Anthony has some monster 21m for ultra-ultra light days up on Grand Mesa! Regarding powder shredding, I guess a lot has to do with the specific situation...there are too many variables to suggest an exact size. Blasting around the meadows or lakes with a foot of pow is much different than looping the kite up the mountain. Weight and skill of rider? Skis/snowboard? Fat skis or pinners? Altitude? Gusty or steady? The cool think about snowkites (Peak, SubZero, etc.) is that you can throw 2 different kites in your pack. If wind or conditions warrant, you could simply up or downsize to meet your needs. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Return to “Snow / Land”