Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone Click Bar Official Unofficial Thread

Forum for kitesurfers
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Duotone Click Bar Official Unofficial Thread

Postby purdyd » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:26 pm

Ok I just took mine apart and I think you should lube the spot marked from the outside,

I use squirt of tri flon.

I still think it is a good idea ot take it apart and clean and inspect the red depower rope. The splice tail ends right as it enters that spot,

But before I lube it I would run water over it and rotate, often that will clear out a grain of sand.

I think over time there is some rust that forms so you need to use something that will break that surface corrosion as needed.

But for a brand new bar I would have to guess something (sand or dirt) is stuck in there. Best to try and flush it with water while turning .

Good luck!
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
MKM (Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

NorwayIsCold
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sola beach, Stavanger, Norway
Favorite Beaches: Jeri
Style: Freestyle, getting into wakestyle
Gear: North Dice 2015 - 11m
North Dice 2014 - 8m
North Dice 2018 - 12m, 9m
North Click bar
Slingshot Widowmaker 2015
Saul Customs - Modified Pure 2.0
Ronix One boots
Mystic Majestic X
Manera wetsuit
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby NorwayIsCold » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:26 pm

Have used clickbar few years now and have one issue with it - middle squared plastic line that runs through the bar is not slippery. When powering and depowering, movement is not as smooth as on Duotone bar with rope and pulling in bar while turning kite is quite impossible.
Is it possible to lubricate this line with some grease or solution so this issue would go away?
Has anyone tried anything?
Water helps, but it only helps for few minutes so am interested in something longer lasting

aniva
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Southern Ontario, Canada
Style: Beginner, freeride foil
Gear: Sabfoil W799/S400/F663/M93KMS
RDB trigger board 120cm
Cabrinha Contra 1S 5, 7, 9 and 11m
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

Postby aniva » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:36 pm

Hi @NorwayIsCold,
I have new ClickBar and even new one sometimes gets stuck on the square depower line, specifically at certain angles between bar and depower line... In your case simple inspection of the TPU covered depower line (share some pictures) whether surface got some abrasion perhaps etc could help, and if so simply replace TPU line as instructed here: .

Another thing to check is the metal plates, I believe video is here .
Would be good if you can post some photos and video of the issue.
Regards,
An

aniva
Medium Poster
RDB trigger board 120cm
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

Postby aniva » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:34 pm

Here is some pics of 2021 click bar issues (still on warranty). Bar is taken good care of, tried to open warranty claim and it was not accepted by Duotone saying it's my fault, eh. Guys, please stay away from Duotone click-bar, no warranty, they don't even have system to take care of warranty claims and no way to dispute, it's nonsense - do not buy Duotone. Floaters crack - Duotone says I cut it, took knife and cut it :), Bar wear and tear - Duotone say's it's from sand :D , Line stretch - Duotone rep doesn't know what line stretch is (I have record of the exchange), bungee torn - did not even consider as warranty... stay away, quality is very low.
Attachments
rubber_cord_click_bar_44210-8189.jpg
cbar_wear01.jpg
cbar_line_stretch01.jpg
floater-crack_02.jpg
These users thanked the author aniva for the post:
zlatko23 (Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:55 pm)

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:16 am

aniva wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:34 pm
Line stretch - Duotone rep doesn't know what line stretch is (I have record of the exchange), bungee torn - did not even consider as warranty... stay away, quality is very low.
Lines don't stretch, they shrink. So the rep is not faulty on that point but you always need to compensate for the shrunken back lines on any bar given sufficient usage.

Bungee is held down by a molten blob of the outer webbing. Eventually the core will retract over time, doesn't look nice so you can trim it off or put some new bungees in tied into the knot so it can't come loose like the way duotone does it for ages now.

Looks like normal wear and tear, besides the weak floaters and red flagout through the tube it is a decent system.

Did you clock how many hours of use went into this bar? Some riders put multiple years of average usage into a single season by riding almost every day. If that's you, expect to replace parts more often during the season.
Attachments
IMG_20221018_120552.jpg
These users thanked the author evan for the post (total 2):
Sun (Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:58 am) • jjm (Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:36 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

aitorlopezosua
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 100
Local Beach: Melbourne, Port Phillip Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Point, Macapa, Aitutaki, Le Morne
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Duotone

Postby aitorlopezosua » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:03 pm

aniva wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:34 pm
Here is some pics of 2021 click bar issues (still on warranty). Bar is taken good care of, tried to open warranty claim and it was not accepted by Duotone saying it's my fault, eh. Guys, please stay away from Duotone click-bar, no warranty, they don't even have system to take care of warranty claims and no way to dispute, it's nonsense - do not buy Duotone. Floaters crack - Duotone says I cut it, took knife and cut it :), Bar wear and tear - Duotone say's it's from sand :D , Line stretch - Duotone rep doesn't know what line stretch is (I have record of the exchange), bungee torn - did not even consider as warranty... stay away, quality is very low.
Surprised about floater and stranger about line lengths: Something isn’t right.

Bungees are fragile and common to break if you are not very careful.

About the EVA cover of the bar, my personal experience is bad: Original bar plus 3 replacements and all failing in the same point where the bar structure wasn’t cover. I have seen a lot of click bars from 2021 and 2022 peeling extremely easy. My guess: They screwed the compound for this model, hopefully fixed with the current 2023.

Other problem fixed is the new floaties that allow easily to check a wear point in the internal lines. Before you needed to dismount several pieces and lines to check.
Attachments
B59371C2-3C31-4971-BCC4-CCDFB5D64064.jpeg
C6394092-4D14-4DAE-8949-5F6347BABE9D.jpeg

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:26 pm

I’d say that line stretch is fairly normal. Whether it is shrinkage or stretching I semantics.

Pretty much right out of the bag the front lines will get about 5cm longer. That is fairly common across kite brands.

Left and right steering difference of 5cm I would find unusual unless you loop or only jump one direction. My experience would be you need to periodically check and balance lines.

The rest should be covered under warranty I think.

aniva
Medium Poster
RDB trigger board 120cm
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

Postby aniva » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:45 pm

evan wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:16 am
Did you clock how many hours of use went into this bar? Some riders put multiple years of average usage into a single season by riding almost every day. If that's you, expect to replace parts more often during the season.
purdyd wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:26 pm
Whether it is shrinkage or stretching I semantics.
Thanks for comments! Normal usage, approx two sessions per week ~1-2hr average for a bit over one year. I agree stretch/shrink semantics, usually back lines compensate for front lines stretch in fresh water where I am, so I am OK with having to use longer pig tails on back lines, but I hope you'd agree 15cm is too much also given 5cm diff between back lines, I have never had anything like that on previous bars given Duotone claims for "super-duper" lines for 2021 forward. Yes, bungee I fixed DIY lots of cord on amazon, however it stretches vs original Duotone, so I would expect warranty to take care of that. I am expecting they send new floaters too, after some nasty back and forth they seem to agree to ship floaters, why did they have to fight it in the first place?

On a side note, do you think 2023 loop will be compatible with 2021/22 bars?

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:28 pm

I think I would consider your line difference normal. I would notice the difference in the rear lines before it reached 5cm and stretch it out and or swap sides.

In fact you might be able to stretch out the shorter rear line to match the other.

The other items like I said should be warranty. I don’t know why you had to argue with duotone,

I think they should just put a couple of extra line keeper bungees in the with the bar, probably save them in the long run,

Good question on the chicken loops. At first blush it seems there is no change.

I’ll let you know when I get my new bar.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
aniva (Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:59 pm)

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:47 pm

Same here on an older clickbar, looking for a solution to stop the plastic from binding after rotations.
NorwayIsCold wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:26 pm
Have used clickbar few years now and have one issue with it - middle squared plastic line that runs through the bar is not slippery. When powering and depowering, movement is not as smooth as on Duotone bar with rope and pulling in bar while turning kite is quite impossible.
Is it possible to lubricate this line with some grease or solution so this issue would go away?
Has anyone tried anything?
Water helps, but it only helps for few minutes so am interested in something longer lasting
Sometimes it binds and "can't easily" sheet in or out after a rotation. I can maybe do brute force pull or push, but if I just let go of the bar it stays where it is.
I have to manually swivel to release the bind. The swivel swivels fine from the ironheart. Needless to say that it's not a pleasant riding experience.

Maybe silicone release spray on the plastic?

Return to “Kitesurfing”