Gear: Ocean Rodeo Mako board and Epic Screamer kites
Shinnster for strapless light wind
Slingshot foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Quinko valves, anyone?

Postby langfordja » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:03 pm

I posted three years ago and have since used lots of these valves with zero problems.

Almost every kite I have ever owned eventually has valve problems. First with factory seals coming loose and then - if you use the kite long enough - issues with adhesive. For me, These glue-less quinko valves solve the adhesive problem

There is a distinct possibility that I am using kites way past their life expectancy.

I stopped using the little screw (that fouls the main valve threads). This screw locks the “nut“ but I have never had a nut come loose. The elastic properties of the red donut push against the nut, once tightened, preventing it from unscrewing.
So I don’t consider this a con.

No issues with hose clamps so I don’t consider this a con.

I have not noticed the weight being an issue, so I don’t consider this a con.

I was unable to come up with a no-adhesive solution for tiny struts (Sleeve opening too small to pass the rigid valve through).

I also still have to use adhesive for valves that need a bigger air flow opening.

International shipping was less of an issue on large orders - once I committed to using these valves and ordered a bunch.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 pm

Which prompts the question, why don't adopt similar glueless design for production kite bladders? I actually don't see why it needs 5 pieces, when 2 plastic parts would be enough.

One plate at the bottom with the cylinder head threaded to be screwed into the top plate. After screwing the top plate into the bottom one the bladder sheet is clamped between them. Yes, the bladder film might be not elastic enough to pass the bottom plate through the hole in the bladder. Yet, for production the valves can be installed with the access to both sides before the bladder is sealed.

You may argue that the last thing kite industry needs is bladders lasting indefinitely. Well, the issue is more subtle. Remember 2015, when all it took a manufacturing defect and faulty batch of bladders to bring down the Best Kiteboarding? (Granted, this was not the only reason, but a contributing factor).

langfordja
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Panama City Beach, FL
Style: free
Slingshot foil

Postby langfordja » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:30 pm

Update.

Almost every old kite I own has these valves installed. I’ve never had a problem with them.

langfordja
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Panama City Beach, FL
Style: free
Slingshot foil

Postby langfordja » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:38 pm

One comment/response to tegirl…s post, on simplifying the design.

To help prevent leaks, it is best to keep the valve hole in the bladder, as small as possible. The quinko multi- piece design allows you to insert all the pieces inside the bladder through the smallest possible opening. And then easily assemble them (inside the bladder).

I do have some design change suggestions, but “less parts” is not one of them.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:14 pm

What is their solution for the main LE valve? Speaking of the main valve, sure you can use this large opening to insert quite substantial bottom plates for the other valves. And, BTW the leading edge bladder is the only bladder I care about, because the strut replacement bladders are cheap, interchangeable/standardized among the kite models, and, finally, the kite can be perfectly flown with the struts deflated.

Return to “Kitesurfing”