Style: Big Air, Kiteloop
Gear: Board: RRD Style Biax v2
Kites: RRD Obsession 13.5m, 10.5m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Kiteline, RRD

Re: Vmg

Postby aendorphin » Wed May 12, 2021 9:36 am

evan wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:00 pm
Here some data of today, 15m vmg + R5 with 18-23kn I guess on pretty flat water for those strong winds.
Thanks for the data. Seems really impressive to me. Can you also tell me which program you used to draw these diagrams?
evan wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:00 pm
Practice on staying locked and powered while letting the kite breathe, the gear should be able to come a lot closer to my numbers but it is hard to train alone without a better rider to follow.
Just to clarify these advice:
  • Staying locked - what does it mean? The "banana" shape position that my body should form during riding upwind?
  • Powered - always feel that the kite pulls and always keep the mast "almost horizontal" to reach max upwind push?
  • Letting the kite breathe - never pull the kite too much. Once I feel that the kite has more power or the wind direction changes I need to push the bar out so the kite also flies closer to the wind window's edge. And when I feel that I need a little more power I slightly pull again? Basically, this is something I should feel I guess and I think I feel it from the first moment when I was flying tube kites for freestyle.
During upwind ride I trim the kite. I feel that then it can fly faster. In strong winds I give a lot of trim to the kite on upwind. And on downwind I use it without trim. I have really long arms and I prefer to find the sweet spot somewhere in the upper half of the bar "route". When I strong gust comes I almost push it fully so I have the best upwind angle (and also big speed). I think this is the correct way but please let me know if I do something wrong. I think pushing the bar and trimming the kite is a good solution and I don't think I'm affraid of speed of power as I was riding 9m C kites in Cape Town with 40 knots. Just to clarify my big air skills here is a video: https://youtu.be/J8UDyxu0Lxo?t=22

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed May 12, 2021 10:38 am

Hard to give good advice from behind the keyboard, best is to film yourself and compare with the top riders and try to copy their body position or have someone that can give tips on the water.

Your legs need to be as locked as possible (especially the back leg) to get the most force from the kite into the foil. Also try to keep the mast more vertical instead of edging like a twintip.

Used a trial of this www.sailnjord.com at the moment.

aendorphin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Fonyód (Hungary), Aendorphin Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lefkada Milos Beach
Style: Big Air, Kiteloop
Gear: Board: RRD Style Biax v2
Kites: RRD Obsession 13.5m, 10.5m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Kiteline, RRD

Postby aendorphin » Thu May 13, 2021 11:57 am

What is the physics behind this?
evan wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:38 am
Also try to keep the mast more vertical instead of edging like a twintip.
I thought that as the wing profile's top is pointing to the wind, that will generate more power to the direction of upwind

Return to “Kitesurfing”