Rare Poster
Local Beach: Darien Beaches
Gear: None yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Repairing small holes in canopy

Postby Ethanh100 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:03 am

So I was looking at my kite and noticed some small holes on the canopy up by the middle of the leading edge. How should I go about fixing it? I was looking on airtime kite and saw their repair tape. Does this stuff have to be sewn in, or is there an adhesive application I can do? Are these holes even enough to worry about, I'd image they can be a threat to rip open more but are they even worth Repairing? Here is a picture of the damage. Thanks!
http://imgur.com/GmbzT9B

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99)

Re: Repairing small holes in canopy

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:24 am

I believe that the holes are small enough that you can tape them using the Airtime Dacron repair tape which is adhesive backed. Round the edges of the tape and tape both sides of the canopy. Make sure the canopy is clean and dry before applying the tape.

Or you could ask a friend if they have some repair tape that came with his kite.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:41 am

I do same as Jake.
If it's a big tear ( more than half inch) i get it professionally repaired, If its small pin hole like yours I put tape on both sides like Jake said.

I have misplaced my tape and haven't fixed a small pin hole for a while and didn't tear but listening to local repair shop all tear start with small pin hole...

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:40 am

Sail tape. Offset the tape 1/4" between the two sides. Done.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:52 am

Drop of glue or TearAid, which you only need on one side if it's a pinhole...

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:38 pm

I have used the little clear adhesive patches that come in the repair kits of most kites meant for bladder repair.

One sided if its just a pin hole, two sided if its slightly bigger. Hole must be smaller than half the size of the patch.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:46 pm

https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... stop_1inch

only .45 a foot for 1" RipStop sail tape. Use it front and back for best results. You only need 1/4 inch of coverage on all sides of cut/hole.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:25 am

Bushflyr wrote:Sail tape. Offset the tape 1/4" between the two sides. Done.
Why offset it? Just curious. I bought a kite that had an offset repair like this and thought it was a mistake.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:47 am

If not offset there would be one relatively rigid patch area, and the canopy at the patch edge would be the most vulnerable to tear in the future. Sometimes less is more, so as other posters suggested one-sided patch would be good enough.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:11 am

like tegir said. you dont want a hard transition from the soft kite fabric to a double patch that is exactly lined up. it's better actually not to tape both sides just tape one side and don't make it square patch make sure it is some kind of oval. for true pinholes that is holes that are mm or so, don't bother patching them they don't harm the kite. And if you have hundreds of pinholes well I'm afraid to tell you no amount of patching is going to fix it because that fabric is nearing end of life, patch one pinhole another will pop up the next day. I don't like the idea of using crazy glue on the pinholes because that kind of glue is quite hard and instead of fixing the hole makes it worse, a soft glue like any kind of PU glue, maybe shoe goo would do instead. These little pinholes are like that homer simpson episodes and the anti-tiger rock. People fix these small (1mm pinholes) all the time and swear by it because their kite doesn't rip but the truth is those sort of very small pinholes can not rip open the kite. Anyway fix them if if calms your mind but I honestly think it doesn't do anything. Something that is 1cm or 1/2 inch that is a different matter entirely and should be patched and then the patch needs to be sewn down with polyester v69 thread. I used to patch my holes on both sides of the kite but I have a few patches now where the patch has been used for a few years and I can definitely tell that the one sided patch has been better as there's no wear line on the kite between the patch and the rest of the fabric while a double sided patch can wear there. An offset patch is better than a double sided patch exactly aligned by I still like the single side the best. And of course never sew a straight line always zig zag for the same reason, a straight line can create a wear point.

Return to “Kitesurfing”