Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Depower rope WTF

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:22 am

iriejohn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:57 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 pm
Oh I just realized -- that's every "new" Cab bar I've had, has broken. At least once :(
Might be a clue there. Possibly. :wink:
For sure. I just keep hoping it doesn't lead where I think it's going to ... sunken cost and all that.

I haven't even moaned about having to reglue the bar end back together more than once...!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:38 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:22 am
iriejohn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:57 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 pm
Oh I just realized -- that's every "new" Cab bar I've had, has broken. At least once :(
Might be a clue there. Possibly. :wink:
For sure. I just keep hoping it doesn't lead where I think it's going to ... sunken cost and all that.

I haven't even moaned about having to reglue the bar end back together more than once...!
Judging by this ...
Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:27 pm
Well here we are again :mad:

This time -- for the second time -- the front line snapped at the lark's head to the safety line. So I got dumped in the middle of a bird's nest of lines, which got wrapped around my hand, the kite started looping and it ripped my watch right off my wrist. I thought the lines was going to take the skin off my fingers with them too.
... 'next time' might be a bit more serious than "sunken costs" ... :-o

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:17 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:38 am
... 'next time' might be a bit more serious than "sunken costs" ... :-o
How often does it happen though...?

Which makes me think about the things that have bothered me about other bars ie. ones without soft ends -- how many times have I actually damaged directional boards with them? None. Maybe I should reconsider my options :o

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Has thanked: 0

Postby gator1 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:06 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:27 pm
Well here we are again :mad:

This time -- for the second time -- the front line snapped at the lark's head to the safety line. So I got dumped in the middle of a bird's nest of lines, which got wrapped around my hand, the kite started looping and it ripped my watch right off my wrist. I thought the lines was going to take the skin off my fingers with them too.

It really is a shit design and reinforces my opinion that single front line safety a. isn't and b. is a fashion statement If you can't release the kite to safety because the line has snapped ... then what's the point?

In the past 5 years I've had more safety+front lines snap because of their shit design than I have had the need to release the kite to safety...!

The hilarious thing is, I bought the new bar and kites because I thought I should retire my 8-year-old IDS bar and kites...despite never having them break or snap and hardly wear at all.

IMO the issue is because there's no swivel (and can't ever be), the lines spin in the little socket when you loop the kite and it just wears right through.

And I'd had a look at it just the other day, because the the safety line was twisted and pulling on that side.

Honestly. I want a five line bar or mini-5th cos this is retarded. This bar only ever got used foiling...the bar I keep for TTing has a broken trim strap because of course it does, and parts are naturally twice the price as in the US and non-existent in-country.

So that's my 2018 Axis Limited broken the first time this broke and my Sunto Ambit3 lost the second, thanks to that shitty design. Thankfully, my foil missed all the rocks...or I'd really be spewing!
I pull out the power bracket seat from time to time and check the knot under there. It was worn through about 50% and I changed it. Maybe you can do away with this and fashion your own fifth line and run it in the PU tube. Just connect both frontlines together at the V.

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Has thanked: 0

Postby gator1 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:11 am

Onda wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:28 pm
Biggest pain is when you buy a new Cab Mainline replacement, you have to unthread the old mainline from the old cleat, carefully unthread the new mainline from the new cleat without wrecking it, then re-thread the new one. They even sell you a cleat with the new one making it three times the price of the recoil mainline. I've got a collection of Cleats already.[/quote]

Gator, how can you actually separate the depower line / PU tubing from the cleat? I tried it but it seems to be glued together?
I want to get rid of the PU tube and use the Cabrinha bar with a bare depower rope. Don´t use a chicken loop anyway, so no worries at the lower end of the tube :D

BTW, I never had any issues with my Cabrinha Bar (2018 model). So far...
[/quote]

Yes you can. First undo the lines from the cleat or recoil at the top, which sounds like youve done.

Then go to the spinner handle at the bottom of your bar. Undo the screw and open this up and from here you can take the PU tube off. There are great videos on youtube showing all the steps.

knot_moving
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:00 am

I’m with bragnouff - take your favorite bar and get evan’s seatbelt QR to get rid of chickenloop and be able to unspin lines. Then a clamcleat and block and a couple meters of 5mm & you are in business. Easy to duplicate Evan’s attach for front lines and safety line ...
- mucking with bars gives me something to do when it’s not windy
These users thanked the author knot_moving for the post:
iriejohn (Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:04 am)
Rating: 8.33%

knot_moving
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:03 am

I can say that I have an above the bar slingshot bar and it seems to be a solid build.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:00 am

knot_moving wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:00 am
I’m with bragnouff - take your favorite bar and get evan’s seatbelt QR to get rid of chickenloop and be able to unspin lines. Then a clamcleat and block and a couple meters of 5mm & you are in business. Easy to duplicate Evan’s attach for front lines and safety line ...
- mucking with bars gives me something to do when it’s not windy
I'm so over BTB swivel, having to manually untwist lines ... I'm thinking I might just go back to the Infinity bars from Flysurfer. They're a good price too.

I worried about the hard bar ends damaging a board ... but they never did.
I broke some CLs until I figured out why.
And the mini-5th line got wrapped around the center line after god-knows how many loops in that direction ... that was the only real downside.

I'm going to do a mini-5th on the Cab bar while I wait for spares, and test that.

Then mock up a Core system, and think about that.

I need to have a closer look at the Evan's thing. Is it in the DIY bar thread?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:01 am

knot_moving wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:03 am
I can say that I have an above the bar slingshot bar and it seems to be a solid build.
I've got a loan of a Naish Torque BtB to see how it is...I reckon that + long depower/leaders and the core system might be a great solution.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:04 am

gator1 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:06 am
I pull out the power bracket seat from time to time and check the knot under there. It was worn through about 50% and I changed it. Maybe you can do away with this and fashion your own fifth line and run it in the PU tube. Just connect both frontlines together at the V.
I had to strip my TT-only bar to replace the ripping trim strap so had a look under the Power Bracket and whaddyaknow -- the center line eye loop was crushed and like yours, worn through.

The sleeved line on the other side is very good condition :roll:

Return to “Kitesurfing”