SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby SolarSet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:59 am

They have some new kite LEI Stoke all rounder free style do it all kite, kinda boring colors :)
wanted to test Soul but they mainly had LEI kites here. Seen here Booster2 and 3 here, 2 looks like ozone edge but new 3 look more like usual all rounder kite.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:32 pm

So, after trimming the mixer my kite did become pretty stable. I mean not that super stable, cuz sometimes it was prone to backstalls due to sloppy winds. But I can live with backstalls, they are easy to prevent and easy to fix, not like sudden frontstalls out of nowhere. Yet I'd say the wind was quite low and smooth, so there was no turbulence like before. So for now it's clear that stability issues are not caused by the kite anymore. Unfortunately it looks like my last winter session, so I probably won't be able to test the kite in harsher winds. Depends on how the snow would thaw.

I've got some footage, but I need some time to cut it.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Kristan wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:32 pm
So, after trimming the mixer my kite did become pretty stable. I mean not that super stable, cuz sometimes it was prone to backstalls due to sloppy winds. But I can live with backstalls, they are easy to prevent and easy to fix, not like sudden frontstalls out of nowhere. Yet I'd say the wind was quite low and smooth, so there was no turbulence like before. So for now it's clear that stability issues are not caused by the kite anymore. Unfortunately it looks like my last winter session, so I probably won't be able to test the kite in harsher winds. Depends on how the snow would thaw.

I've got some footage, but I need some time to cut it.
Excellent. Look forward to seeing it.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:56 am

You have the PMAs as well to adjust.

https://youtu.be/zei6Mpd-JGw?t=323

Sorry it's in German, use captions with translate.

Strange they call them PMA. They actually alter the kite shape, specifically the camber. That is adjusting the profile of the airfoil which would affect the momentum, so ok :-) PMA.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:41 pm

Here's the video that I promised. Wind was rather light, 7-10 knots, so the kite was a bit prone to backstalls.

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:50 pm

First lesson. Let the bar out.

Kristan
Frequent Poster

Postby Kristan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:58 pm

mr-markus wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:50 pm
First lesson. Let the bar out.
... So it goes over the edge and frontstalls. No thanks. I'd rather deal with backstalls than frontstalls.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 pm

I am guessing you haven't adjusted the PMA's yet.

It is hard to observe the stability with the bar in. At https://youtu.be/UoTLmUYBWms?t=141 the wind changes so much to push the kite towards you, no amount of adjusting is going to fix that. Foil kites are different to LEI. They are most stable at 12 and least the lower they are. If you had the kite at 12 it most likely would have been fine. Tip tucking low in light wind is normal for many foils. The PMAs and mixer settings will reduce it. You can setup to easily change mixer settings for different conditions. You are getting the bar technique, I would suggest a longer throw with more backstall.

The kite doen't look particularly bad. Does it tuck more on one side or drift more to one side? Which would indicate a quality issue.

Kristan
Frequent Poster

Postby Kristan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:21 am

foilholio wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 pm

It is hard to observe the stability with the bar in. At https://youtu.be/UoTLmUYBWms?t=141 the wind changes so much to push the kite towards you, no amount of adjusting is going to fix that. Foil kites are different to LEI. They are most stable at 12 and least the lower they are. If you had the kite at 12 it most likely would have been fine. Tip tucking low in light wind is normal for many foils. The PMAs and mixer settings will reduce it. You can setup to easily change mixer settings for different conditions. You are getting the bar technique, I would suggest a longer throw with more backstall.

The kite doen't look particularly bad. Does it tuck more on one side or drift more to one side? Which would indicate a quality issue.
I'm not gonna adjust PMA's just yet, since I don't have the knowledge of how would wing behave with certain profile. For now I'm satisfied with wing behavior after the mixer adjustments. Because in conditions that I have shown my kite would frontstall multiple times already, but nope, it's stable now and have only collapsed because of my poor handling.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:00 am

Kristan wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:21 am
foilholio wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 pm

I'm not gonna adjust PMA's just yet, since I don't have the knowledge of how would wing behave with certain profile. For now I'm satisfied with wing behavior after the mixer adjustments. Because in conditions that I have shown my kite would frontstall multiple times already, but nope, it's stable now and have only collapsed because of my poor handling.
You shouldn't adjust the PMA's on a knew kite unless you know what you are doing and after flying you want to tune it for a specific condition. Sould should fly OK without adjustment. I got a 15m used one (not much) and the previous owner used like 4in extensions on front line (more backstall I guess) but removed these and fly on equal lengths and so far no issue...have front collapsed only when going under kite mistimed jumped but on normal flying its so stable in fact its really boring kite....now to make things interesting I use higher aspect kite so I cannot day dream while riding..:) guess good problem to have...

Return to “Foil Kites”