Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby jbrodin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:27 pm

rnelias wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:53 am
jbrodin wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:45 pm
Ice101 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:07 am

Didn’t Armin say that wasn’t recommended though on another post?
Yes, but he just loops back to saying we should do the long mixertest, he says nothing about what to do if it does not work (which was the case for me, and for several others I have heard from). I have a discussion going with him on the FS Facebook page, and he does not have me convinced yet!
I'm an engineer and don't like to just follow recipes without understanding how things work.

Instead of giving a "recipe", I think it would be more productive if Flysurfer could give us an explanation how mixer works and how it's implemented on their kites. From what I can understand, the pulley system -- the mixer -- just distribute ("mix") the load among the 4 bridle layers in order to keep the wing shape as close as possible to its design, however, the relation between line lengths, pulley reductions and pivot points seems that depends on the experience of whom is tunning the kite. Two anchoring point placed together/separate, pigtails, etc... I've already seem, at least, 3 different ways to make a mixer test.

Another good idea, that I've seem on the FB page, would be a table of cause x effects when tunning the kite.
I concur, in fact I mught be the one that brought up the table idea ;). My discussion with Armin is at a bit if a stalemate. Basically he is saying that if the long mixertest does not lead to a good tune, then something is broken or overstretched. I am half tempted to just send the kite to them to see what they will can do.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby juanpasala » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:00 pm

jbrodin wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:27 pm
rnelias wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:53 am
jbrodin wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:45 pm

Yes, but he just loops back to saying we should do the long mixertest, he says nothing about what to do if it does not work (which was the case for me, and for several others I have heard from). I have a discussion going with him on the FS Facebook page, and he does not have me convinced yet!
I'm an engineer and don't like to just follow recipes without understanding how things work.

Instead of giving a "recipe", I think it would be more productive if Flysurfer could give us an explanation how mixer works and how it's implemented on their kites. From what I can understand, the pulley system -- the mixer -- just distribute ("mix") the load among the 4 bridle layers in order to keep the wing shape as close as possible to its design, however, the relation between line lengths, pulley reductions and pivot points seems that depends on the experience of whom is tunning the kite. Two anchoring point placed together/separate, pigtails, etc... I've already seem, at least, 3 different ways to make a mixer test.

Another good idea, that I've seem on the FB page, would be a table of cause x effects when tunning the kite.
I concur, in fact I mught be the one that brought up the table idea ;). My discussion with Armin is at a bit if a stalemate. Basically he is saying that if the long mixertest does not lead to a good tune, then something is broken or overstretched. I am half tempted to just send the kite to them to see what they will can do.
From the video you sent the kite seems to be awfully slow.
I Get that the normal mixer test might not work for you, but the setting you have is completelly distorded and front loaded, which will give you a lot of problems in gusty conditions.

slide
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slide » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:45 pm

i'll check the mixer,i always do the long mixer test , as i consider that the best , taking in account of any movement in the lines for what ever reason

Return to “Foil Kites”