Re: Replacement swivel for 4line flag out

Postby Bill » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:47 pm

SLiiCK wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:40 pm
Bill wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:30 pm
sarc wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:58 am
The best swivel is one that's not there. They never work well anyways. Just get rid of it and replace with ball/ring or ring/ring safety.
Don't suppose you have a pic of how this works? Sounds like the best way to go for me.
I’m the same as Sarc always replace mine with a ring there’s no friction on release, I self land 99% of the time and the kite drops straight down on the leading edge( except the odd time when it rolls over a few times then settles on the LE) the only down side is that if you rotate a lot the safety will wrap around the chicken loop or depower but I have fitted a ring on my spreader hook that rotates around it eliminating this. :thumb:
Hi not clear what you mean about fitting a ring on your spreader?

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Pembrey South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Exmouth
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle
Style: All
Gear: Naish/F One/Slingshot/Airush/Eclipse
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SLiiCK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:26 am

Bill wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:47 pm
SLiiCK wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:40 pm
Bill wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Don't suppose you have a pic of how this works? Sounds like the best way to go for me.
I’m the same as Sarc always replace mine with a ring there’s no friction on release, I self land 99% of the time and the kite drops straight down on the leading edge( except the odd time when it rolls over a few times then settles on the LE) the only down side is that if you rotate a lot the safety will wrap around the chicken loop or depower but I have fitted a ring on my spreader hook that rotates around it eliminating this. :thumb:
Hi not clear what you mean about fitting a ring on your spreader?
Will try and get a photo tomorrow to show you.

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle

Postby SLiiCK » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi Bill here is the image for fitting the ring on the hook it is fitted to a sliding Jay hook but have fitted one to a fixed hook as well,the 2 lugs which I tig welded on hold the ring from coming off when I release, and after rotations I just flip the safety line around the hook clockwise or anti clockwise depending on what rotation. On the swivel I have made my own up (old Mickey Mousse style)using rings and a swivel as my original plastic on snapped.The safety attaches to one ring and one of the Centre lines passes down through the first ring on the swivel then connects to the ring which is attached to the safety, the one which the safety is attached to must be the same size or bigger than the one on the swivel! I have added some Velcro just to keep the rings together when setting up.
If you need any more info just give us a shout.
4EFFD2FD-1FC8-4192-8245-1F31E370A368.jpeg
Last edited by SLiiCK on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 pm

If you want to buy prefabricated version of this Ozone has something called a "trimmer bracket" which you then buy the red ball separately.

https://www.ozonekites.net/proddetail.a ... er_bracket

Ozone provides some amount of support if you are retrofitting this, ask them and they should be able to give you a pdf that shows how you replace it on an ozone kite which should be enough to figure out how to convert your own kite.

I like making my own stuff.

Above is a nylon 1x1 inch block, but I have recently switched to using 1x1 aluminum (easier to work than nylon but a bit heavier). You drill a 2mm half way and then a 3mm the other half way through, that's how the lark's head is stopped inside the block. Then two 5mm holes for the attachment for the chicken line.

Of course you can always just buy a regular swivel nothing wrong with that. I don't like using a simple o-ring with a red stopper ball because the red stopper ball can get wear. Rather just have this nylon 1x1 block.

There are other systems people use, but I want a system where I get at least 10m of flag out so it works with my larger kites. The block will flag out until the control bar hits the kite just like a swivel.

Bill
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks guys lots of food for thought - much appreciated!
Sliick, by attaching the flag out line to the ring that rotates, does that not mean you don't have a safety release on the flag out line (which you do if you attach to a suicide leash?)

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle

Postby SLiiCK » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Bill wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:03 pm
Thanks guys lots of food for thought - much appreciated!
Sliick, by attaching the flag out line to the ring that rotates, does that not mean you don't have a safety release on the flag out line (which you do if you attach to a suicide leash?)
No I should have shown you more of the picture I connect the ring to a safety leash this then goes to the front line flag out it all goes outside the bar so if I hit the chicken loop safety the kite just flags out straight away on a front line, I do this because 90% of the time I self land and launch.
6DA20D42-038A-4DF1-9F3C-5629B4452364.jpeg

Bill
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Used this to replace my swivel. It's excellent works really well for me. 😁👍😁
http://www.kitesurfing-shop.co.uk/buy/2 ... ars-755828

artificialname
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 100kg
Local Beach: Toronto
Gear: Cabrinha crossbow 11metre, 2012
Ozone Edge 17m, 2015
Pansh Genesis 8m
Bar - HQ4 / Airush

Postby artificialname » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:07 am

edt wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 pm
If you want to buy prefabricated version of this Ozone has something called a "trimmer bracket" which you then buy the red ball separately...

...Of course you can always just buy a regular swivel nothing wrong with that. I don't like using a simple o-ring with a red stopper ball because the red stopper ball can get wear. Rather just have this nylon 1x1 block.

There are other systems people use, but I want a system where I get at least 10m of flag out so it works with my larger kites. The block will flag out until the control bar hits the kite just like a swivel.
I've just made and installed my own fly lines on my HQ4 One bar. My new flag out line doesn't fit through the line splitter. Can I just leave the flag out line completely free of the line splitter system? Any safety concerns? I'm a beginner.

Thanks

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:49 am

and to add to above just ensure you test the system before hitting the beach, ring to ring wont work for flag out through most systems, better ball to ring where the line is free to slide free from the ball and not jam as it speeds through the other small hole obstructions, easy to get right, frustrating if the holes are too small or if the ball hole is slightly to big to hold the spliced join in place when massive pressure is applied, like full kite power.
my tip is to use a propper stop ball like the Ozone one, cheap but works as the sizes of ball and center hole along with the countersunk recess are spot on, but as above it still needs to be tested to ensure the line runs freely away from the stop ball and then seats back securely in place without ever jamming in use.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:17 pm

artificialname wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:07 am

I've just made and installed my own fly lines on my HQ4 One bar. My new flag out line doesn't fit through the line splitter. Can I just leave the flag out line completely free of the line splitter system? Any safety concerns? I'm a beginner.

Thanks
You can't remove the V. Otherwise the load won't be carried by the chicken line but instead the safety line will carry the load via the chicken loop ring. You can either get a new V or modify the one you have now. Test your rig on a light wind day, if you modify it and are wrong the safety won't work right.

Return to “Kitesurfing”