knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Oceanus kite reels: I still see them

Postby knotwindy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:25 pm

I’m sorry but did I misunderstand you? Are you trying to be reasonable on a forum?

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:11 pm

I’d wear one for use in self rescue. I can see scenarios where they’d be useful to slow/reduce the exhaustion. Equally I see risk in the same situation ‘anchoring’.

Seen some foil board and foil kite self rescues which look scetchy even when demonstrated in flat water. Attach to your gear while you pack the kite down to reduce stress, free hands. Maybe helpful.

I met a guy who saved a number of divers using one in Maldives during the NYD tsunami so they have their uses in certain circumstances. But wouldn’t use attached to a TT on a extremely windy day at crowded spot etc etc etc. More worried about being beaten up by the mob than getting hit by the board. Last bits a joke, just in case. 😀

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:28 am

wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Seen some foil board and foil kite self rescues which look scetchy even when demonstrated in flat water. Attach to your gear while you pack the kite down to reduce stress, free hands. Maybe helpful.
I think I did about 6 packdown and swims last month I was really stretching my limits. It's incredibly useful to carry about 10m of line in your pocket. The reel isn't so good, it's way to big and stuff can get caught on it when you are riding.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Beardytello (Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:40 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:28 am
wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:11 pm

I think I did about 6 packdown and swims last month I was really stretching my limits. It's incredibly useful to carry about 10m of line in your pocket. The reel isn't so good, it's way to big and stuff can get caught on it when you are riding.
That's such a good idea that I never thought of! I've done about 10 self rescues in anger, all of them went pretty much to plan but the board is always a pain in the ass to secure. I just end up sort of holding it awkwardly.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Beardytello wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:40 pm

That's such a good idea that I never thought of! I've done about 10 self rescues in anger, all of them went pretty much to plan but the board is always a pain in the ass to secure. I just end up sort of holding it awkwardly.
Until someone had actually done a foil kite packdown in real life you don't know the pain it is keeping that hydrofoil near you. Gets in the bridle tangles the lines and if you let it go for a second it races downwind and you have to let your foil fill with water while you swim after it. You need the board can't just let it zoom downwind that's where you put the kite when it's packed up and swim back. A little bit of line goes a long way making a packdown easy.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:23 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:44 pm
Beardytello wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Until someone had actually done a foil kite packdown in real life you don't know the pain it is keeping that hydrofoil near you. Gets in the bridle tangles the lines and if you let it go for a second it races downwind and you have to let your foil fill with water while you swim after it. You need the board can't just let it zoom downwind that's where you put the kite when it's packed up and swim back. A little bit of line goes a long way making a packdown easy.

I dont understand this?

Even on my small thin board, I sit on the board so a few litres higher in the water, while I pack down, or try to relaunch in low winds, or just drift comfortably ashore.

The bigger the board the better, but you can sit on any supersmall board, you just sit "deeper".

And pack a LEI down, or roll/pack a foilkite down.

This way you avoid many or all of above troubles :rollgrin:

A lot easier to roll a kite up, even if you are just sitting a tad higher, in my experience.
Doing it while you "float" in the water yourself is by far the most difficult, and for me something I avoid.

8) Peter

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:30 pm

As Apollo, I also carry a reel leash with me, never attached to the board. Peter Frank's advice is good but sometimes I prefer to stay free in the water and use both hands as I desire with no need to worry about the board.

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:22 pm

already someone here highlighted the main problem, in summary NO leash can be safe for this reason:

when both the rider and the board are flying at distance (during a bad fall or perhaps the kite turn in the middle of the power zone and the rider is not prepared) if the rider land in the water before the board than the rider have zero speed and the board still have speed, when the board land on the rider is the problem, and the reel leash can't prevent this, maybe can retard the acceleration of the board a little but not enough

it's not matter of elasticity of the leash

despite this I would probably take the risk when riding alone and far from the beach, cause small waves many time hide the position of the board during the up wind body drag and losing the board unfortunately can happen

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:20 pm

I only wear a (surf) leash on reef breaks with strong rips (e.g. La Morne/One Eye) & was glad for using one on doing a return channel crossing- for everything else IMO they are just dangerous. But, it's a waste of breath trying to convince anyone of this, as most riders I come across who use them, have some form of fanatical belief in them .

Pana
Frequent Poster
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:06 pm

I had one when I was a beginner in side shore conditions, it greatly increased my safety. Different conditions can justify using a reel leash. Remember 0 risk does not exist, there is a risk to everything. Be aware that a reel leash offers more line to get tangled in and can have it’s drawbacks/risks. Personnaly alway felt it was MANDATORY to attach the leach to the board via a plastic tierap to offer an easy breaking point as there is no easy release in the kit (the one i had) Attach a second tie rap to the board to replace the first one in the event you break the first one. With such a set-up risks are reduced for the same benefits.

Return to “Kitesurfing”