Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cuba in Nov-Dec

forum for kitesurfers
alfonsobauza
Rare Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:10 pm
Kiting since: 18
Local Beach: Palma de Mallorca
Favorite Beaches: Puerto Pollensa
C'an Pastilla
Gear: Naish 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby alfonsobauza » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Good afternoon all,

I am planing on going to Cuba on 8-15 Dec and wanted to ask you 2 things:

1. Is it possible to rent all equipment at any spots? If so, do you know what the average price would be?
2. If I bring my own Kite, but avoid bringing my board, can I easily rent a board in any spot there?

Many thanks!
Alfonso

Windigo1
Medium Poster
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Aylmer
Style: Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:28 pm

There is 4 places you can rent equipment that I know of. Havanna Kiteboarding has a school in Havanna at Playa Del Este and Cayo Guillermo, There is a School at the Pullman Cayo Coco and Also one Called Bucaneer in Santa Lucia. I don't know the prices I always bring my gear but they all have websites you can probably contact them.

alfonsobauza
Rare Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:10 pm
Kiting since: 18
Local Beach: Palma de Mallorca
Favorite Beaches: Puerto Pollensa
C'an Pastilla
Gear: Naish 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby alfonsobauza » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:28 pm
There is 4 places you can rent equipment that I know of. Havanna Kiteboarding has a school in Havanna at Playa Del Este and Cayo Guillermo, There is a School at the Pullman Cayo Coco and Also one Called Bucaneer in Santa Lucia. I don't know the prices I always bring my gear but they all have websites you can probably contact them.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I haven't seen the prices but will try to contact them ahead of going there. I have seen there is a "tax" of c.25 CUC just to do kitesurf, independetly of renting or own material...

Many thanks. If anyone can give any further personal feedback, it will be much appreciated.

Alfonso

User avatar
justbob
Medium Poster
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:38 pm
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Brand Affiliation: none
Location: Southern Ontario
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby justbob » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:59 pm

alfonsobauza wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:42 pm
Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:28 pm
There is 4 places you can rent equipment that I know of. Havanna Kiteboarding has a school in Havanna at Playa Del Este and Cayo Guillermo, There is a School at the Pullman Cayo Coco and Also one Called Bucaneer in Santa Lucia. I don't know the prices I always bring my gear but they all have websites you can probably contact them.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I haven't seen the prices but will try to contact them ahead of going there. I have seen there is a "tax" of c.25 CUC just to do kitesurf, independetly of renting or own material...

Many thanks. If anyone can give any further personal feedback, it will be much appreciated.

Alfonso
Was in CG last week. There was a kite school on the beach at the north end of the Sol, with a guy on a jetski chasing people down to get their $25 "kite fee".
I was cutoff by said guy twice in the middle of my tack to come to shore and pay immediately. I was not happy to have to come in an land my kite, chase down my
wife for $$ and sign a bunch of meaningless paperwork. Maybe these guys can get some info to the hotels so that people know where and who to pay to avoid these types of
confrontations. Trying to tell someone who is floating in the water over the noise of a jetski, wind and waves in broken english that they have to come and pay is not
the way to do things. I saw this more than once.
Other than that, had a great week of wind and fun. Would go back in a heartbeat.

User avatar
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:54 am
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby Slappysan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Is it $25 per day? per week? per visit?

User avatar
justbob
Medium Poster
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:38 pm
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Brand Affiliation: none
Location: Southern Ontario
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby justbob » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:40 pm
Is it $25 per day? per week? per visit?
I interpreted it as per stay. They didn't ask how long I was staying.

Kitetwin-1
Rare Poster
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:16 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:52 am

Facking bandits, I have been to the coji 4 times with my wife and never payed. Don’t make yourself an easy target. Don’t leave your kites pumped up when not in use. If someone approaches you and you think they look like a kite cop walk the other way. I have even waded out into the water with the idiot standing on shore calling to me but after an hour he went away. They will get me some time but it hasn’t happened yet, frackers

Windigo1
Medium Poster
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Aylmer
Style: Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:15 pm

Yes it's per stay and you get assistance of a Jet ski it you're in trouble far away.

Sometime they try to charge you to put your gear in the bus too. It's all very fishy they see an opportunity to make a few extra bucks of the tourist so they take it. I think paying to put the gear in a bus half empty is abusive since this is included your vacation package. Years ago they used to say if it's full and they have to ad another bus because of the kiters they'll charge you but now they are trying to do it no matter if it's full or not but it depends on the Airline.

KiterDon
Rare Poster
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:01 pm
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Presqu'ile Provincial Park
Sandbanks Provincial Park
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, Bahia Salinas, Acadian Islands, San Blas Islands, Punta Chame, Large Frozen Lakes (Snowkiting)
Style: Freestyle - HF, TT, SB +Snowkiting
Gear: Lot's - no particular brand. Depends on the condition...
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby KiterDon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Windigo or Justbob

I am going to Cayo Guillermo next week. Where do you pay for the Kiteboarding fee? At the resort (I am staying at Sol Cayo Guillermo) or at the school?

Also were you charged a fee for your gear on the transfer bus? How much? Was it both ways or just going to the resort?

Any other advice for kiting there?

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Don

User avatar
justbob
Medium Poster
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:38 pm
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Brand Affiliation: none
Location: Southern Ontario
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby justbob » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:01 pm

KiterDon wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:40 pm
Windigo or Justbob

I am going to Cayo Guillermo next week. Where do you pay for the Kiteboarding fee? At the resort (I am staying at Sol Cayo Guillermo) or at the school?

Also were you charged a fee for your gear on the transfer bus? How much? Was it both ways or just going to the resort?

Any other advice for kiting there?

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Don
Hey Don,
I stayed at the Grand Muthu, north of the Sol. I paid 25 CUC at the kite school booth at the north end of the beach in front of the Sol. That's where the jet
ski is moored. I was not charged an extra fee for my bag on the transfer bus.
My advice for kiting there, when you get out in the water, stay far away from all the people getting lessons and practicing. There were many newbies and people
learning right close to shore. Kites where crashing onto shore close to walkers and other kiters. It was kind of mayhem, especially down by the point. Tack out and
stay way from them. Definitely go down south to the flats, amazing shallow flat water with lots of space to yourself. If anything happens you can walk out to the road
and back to the hotel. Take sunglasses to wear on the water, most of the time the sun is in your eyes and its brutal without them. I didn't wear booties and had
no issues. Obey the rules and stay out of the designated swim zones and all is good.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Bob


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cor, Google [Bot] and 14 guests

cron