Yea, kind of a long winded post...here's another. I agree, if you like tinkering and want an inexpensive platform, go for it. Usually better to start with a new kite than a used kite, especially with a foil kite… learned that in this post.
. When I go to the beach to kitesurf I want my gear to work and be reliable to get me back safe. So when you get a used kite or an unfamiliar kite like Pansh you’ll need to be willing to spend the time and effort to test it out to convince yourself it’s worthy of a kitesurf day…
I’ve also flown the Pansh Aurora1-19, A15-18m, A15-15m, A15-12m, Ace1-7m, Sprint-5m kites. Sprint flew perfect, Ace1 never did. The Aurora1 needed tweeking, the A15s flew fine without modifications (on 2:1 pulley bars for the larger 18m and 15m kites). Think the higher the aspect ratio and smaller the kite the more details come into play, the more amplified the tuning errors become and the gustier stronger winds they get flown in. Thought I’d try the smallest Aurora2 before maybe getting an Aeolus in tune.
For the 8m Aurora2, it flew much better with the two A lines extended (the line between the bridle junction A1/A23/A45 and the X/Y/Pigtail junction in the Pansh line diagram). Like the last photo shows, I made these new A lines out of amsteel so it was strong, and I made it a little long so I could add/remove knots to easily tune the kite. I did this with a mixer test assuming somewhere around A=Z, B=0, C=0 would be the designer’s intention for neutral tuning. I noticed the left and right mixers were exactly the same, which indicate good quality build as the bridle lengths + kite panels variation on left=right. I have learned to change only one parameter at a time when tuning, to avoid guessing which of the multiple changes caused the different flying characteristics. But, I did also add a 5th line so I can QR during tests without the kite spinning to the ground. I think I have now tuned and flown it enough static to convince me to spend a day on the water with it. What I have found tuning was:
(A) Stock, Mixer A=Z, B=+2.25”, C=+1.5”, A=46.75” Flys far forward, stable +/-30deg and lower, unstable higher above, gusts push kite forward then the lulls cause unstable recovery.
(B) Mod1, Mixer A=Z, B=+0.75”, C=+0.5”, A=49.25”, Flys less forward, stable overhead and lower, better feel/control over the kite, recovers from small gusts, higher gusts still can push kite into an unstable recovery.
(C) Mod2, Mixer A=Z, B=0”, C=0”, A=49.75”, Flys less forward, stable overhead and lower, better feel/control over the kite, recovers from small gusts, higher gusts can cause a little luffing but does not push kite into an unstable recovery. The wingtips sometimes fold up a little when flown below 45deg. They quickly shake back into shape tho. The wingtip folds are sometimes things found in static flying a high AR kite, but not so much when in motion with apparent/added wind stabilizing it.
I also tried flying (C) Mod2 on 6m lines as all my other tests were on 30m lines. With the 30m lines my rear/steering lines need to be 7”+ longer. With the 6m lines I extended the steering lines 7” but it did not control well. I put the bar with 6m lines at equal length and it flew fine. This indicates to me that the 30m lines (600# Centers, 500# rears both 12 braid spectra) need 7” more droop/sag to fly right. I fly a few other 15m+ foils on 30m lines, but 30m lines might be long for an 8m foil. But now that my bar is tuned with 30m lines and a 5th line to match, I’m going to keep this setup for now. I was going to extend the 2 kite pigtails 7” (to make the kite work with a universal/equal line bar) but this would only work with 30m lines, so no short-cuts to matching the bar/lines to the kite. So if I decide to try shorter (20-25m) lines later, I’ll plan to retune the bar (not the kite).
I think the 30m lines are probably the worst case for having the overfly due to gusts as, the window is larger, gusts can push the kite further forward and faster, and then kite has more momentum. Once tuned I could let go of the bar to sheet out in gusts and the kite did not overfly. This is what I wanted so when in the water managing gear I can simply let the bar go in gusts and the kite will recover. Looking forward to getting out on the water with it. If others decided to get the smallest Aurora2, post up how it flew and any mods you did. Hopefully all this typing can be helpful to someone else someday.