forum for kitesurfers
flying doctor
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vs Naish Slash 2019

Postby flying doctor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:55 pm

Thanks again, really looking forward to do some testing and spending time with a new quiver, I'll report my findings back here..

flying doctor
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vs Naish Slash 2019

Postby flying doctor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:51 pm

Just back from Capetown, good conditions to test my new pivot 9 and Slash 7 and 5.

The pivot 9 is a great upgrade for me coming from 2015 material regarding the top end; I now understand how Kevin uses this kite in such high winds. I managed to jump 15,5m myself (not quite Kevin yet) in winds gusting to 33 knots, always able to steer the kite to zenith without losing control. Such fun!

Another day I tested the slash 7 with my twintip and jumped just as high as with the pivot that day (around 13 meters but with one or two seconds less hangtime). The jumps with the slash provide less drama so I'll probably choose the pivot on twintip days.

Did some wavering with the pivot in moderate off shore winds at Platboom bay on a day with rare NW winds. Gusty offshore but the kite was stable and drifted quite nicely.

Using the 7 and 5 slash in waves was in another league though; I could let go of the bar on a lot of occasions and do some turns and the kites would just hover with me, really fantastic.

The pivot to me had this constant elastic type pull, i.e. always some grunt (tried a friend's 2019 pivot 5m and it felt the same).
The slash needs more imput to generate the same amount of power, though a small amount of movement is enough to instantly power up. It is more precise and razorlike in the air.

Both are great kites and I guess I would have been happy with a quiver of either but this combination suits what I need: massive jumps, even in high winds with the pivot and very intuitive waveriding with the slash. I had the slash 5 out in winds around 35 knots and it felt like it would be hard for me to ever be in a situation that makes it overpowered. Slash 7 in the same conditions was manageable as well but sometimes dragged me out of a wave.

All in all a great trip (kiting with dolphins and seals and watching the KOTA!) and happy with my new quiver!

I can recommend suntrax Blouberg where I bought the kites; Brian is really helpful, replying swiftly to my mails before the trip and letting me test the kites first without a problem. Great service!
These users thanked the author flying doctor for the post:
jonysan (Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:31 pm)
Rating: 10%

Return to “Kitesurfing”