aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Re: WOO consistency

Postby aleks » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:27 pm

As others said, get a watch, immediate feedback helps a lot.

About consistency. When testing my watch apps I sometimes kite with 2 WOOs and 2 watches, so I can see in real time how consistent the readings from 2 different WOOs are. In 80-90% of cases readings are very close. Sometimes 1 of the WOOs might not register a jump, but mostly the consistency is pretty impressive. If I do a bunch of similar jumps, I am even able to predict the height before I land, usually up to 1 meter. The prediction is never based on the view, but on the feeling of kite power and acceleration that I get after take-off. Looking at the water and kites around is very deceptive.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:34 pm

joriws wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:51 am
Smartwatch, woo should implement screenlock on wear os swatch. Xensr did..
I'm guessing you need to enable "Always ON Display" in Wear OS watch settings. Without it some watches exit to watch face on contact with water. In Wear OS there is no "screenlock" like on Apple Watches (where Xensr implemented their app - they never had one on Android). "Always ON Display" is the only way to get around that problem.

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, & Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheRussian » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:42 pm

aleks wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:27 pm

The prediction is never based on the view, but on the feeling of kite power and acceleration that I get after take-off. Looking at the water and kites around is very deceptive.
+1 Spot on

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:46 pm

knuthansen wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:45 pm
I'm using both Woo3 and PIQ. Once I got a second lift from a gust, which PIQ measured 13.1m and Woo just about 10.
Prior to that, it already felt like the Woo was underreporting floaty jumps compared to those with a more aggressive takeoff.
A few of us had WOO and PIQ together. PIQ had a lot of outliers with much higher jumps, very often over-estimating the height. It might be different for you, but for us WOO is way more accurate than PIQ was.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly mostly

Postby Faxie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:03 pm

TheRussian wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:42 pm
aleks wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:27 pm

The prediction is never based on the view, but on the feeling of kite power and acceleration that I get after take-off. Looking at the water and kites around is very deceptive.
+1 Spot on
Yeah I'm thinking the same. Some jumps that I would swear were very high turn out to not be higher than 40ft, while other jumps that don't seem so high but feel powerfull turn out to be over 45ft

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:15 am

I agree with Aleks, get the watch. The immediate feedback helps you recognize that the Woo is pretty darn accurate. It does miss jumps from time to time, so I put two on my board. I was surprised to see how consistent the 2 Woos are with each other.

There are a few things that can throw off your height perception.
1. Jumps that are semi-high, but of a great distance can “feel” high.
2. Jumps in gusty, bumpy wind can give you the perception that you are going high, when you are actually not going all that high because you don’t have time to edge against the gust.
3. Jumping in awful chop where you think you have the power to jump high, but lack the ability to really load up. You know you have the power, but no way to fully tap into it.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:20 am)
Rating: 6.67%

glfmkg
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 9, 12, 14
Airush Wave 7
Airush Lift 9, 14
Naish Pivot 12
Ozone zephyr 17
Boards:
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Spleene Moster Door

Postby glfmkg » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:30 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm
I want to be clear that my post is not about WOO accuracy. It is about WOO consistency. I dont care if it measures 3 FT high or low (OK high is better :-))

I have used the WOO 2 & 3. I have worked in industries where judging distances is important. I should be reasonably capable of judging distances.

I do not believe my WOO is measuring my jumps consistently. My Max per WOO is 32.9ft. Before that jump I fully believe I have jumped higher and following that jump I am certain I have jumped higher. I am fairly certain, based on my judgement, I hit at least 40 yesterday, but my WOO red 26ft. I am at the point I want to throw it out. I bought the WOO so I could measure improvement and enjoy friendly competition on the water. I am at the point now that I think it is pointless if the WOO cant provide consistent measurements so I can gauge improvements.

-First I have to consider that it is my perception and nothing else. After multiple observations I dont think it is my judgement that is off, but it could be me.
-Next I am considering that it may be a difference in the board, launch technique or how much I load and pop.
-Third I am wondering if the WOO is just incapable of consistently measuring my jumps.

On multiple occasions I am sure I exceeded my 32ft jump. Then I download the session and I am disappointed. Yesterday, I was more certain than ever that I exceeded my highest WOO measured jump. My growing doubts make me want to leave it on the beach.

Is it me?
Are there reasons why WOO would work differently for different sessions?
Could the board of launch technique make a difference?
OR??

Since I stopped using Woo my jumps are a lot higher and my session way more enjoyable! LOL I feel your pain!

Flyingseb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: North Dyno, Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Fone Trax Board, OR mako board, DIY boards, hydrofoil

Postby Flyingseb » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:00 pm

knuthansen wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:45 pm
I'm using both Woo3 and PIQ. Once I got a second lift from a gust, which PIQ measured 13.1m and Woo just about 10.
Prior to that, it already felt like the Woo was underreporting floaty jumps compared to those with a more aggressive takeoff.
I second that. Same for me, been hit by a gust during a jump, which provided me extra height and hang time, but it did not appear in the record…

Other than that, after using my Woo for a long duration, I feel like I can estimate a lot better my jump heights, like if what I needed was to calibrate myself

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:48 am

Jumps are much higher if they are not measured. My father-in-law has a plaque over his door. It reads:
“Early to bed, early to rise. Fish all day, make up lies” :rollgrin:

knuthansen
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby knuthansen » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:50 pm

aleks wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:46 pm
A few of us had WOO and PIQ together. PIQ had a lot of outliers with much higher jumps, very often over-estimating the height. It might be different for you, but for us WOO is way more accurate than PIQ was.
Indeed I tend to have more outliers with the PIQ, but that exactly matches my own perception: I'd often have a jump that feels way higher than the other ones, however according to the Woo, they're all similar whereas the PIQ will indeed record one outlier.
Example from last week:
Had one jump that hands down felt like a big outlier, results:
WOO: 11.9m, second: 11.5m
PIQ: 11.9m, second: 10.6m

It kinda feels like the Woo "smoothens out" the results. That being said, after the last firmware update, the results between Woo and PIQ seem closer. Before, PIQ would usually measure 10% less.

Return to “Kitesurfing”