Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
Si_B
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Si_B » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:33 pm

Will find out tomorrow if I’ve made a mess of it. Did tie each side together though so hopefully not too bad. Don’t really want to buy a bar but I’ll keep my eye open for a cheap one.

So do people think my right rear line green has just got the wrong label attached then?
Attachments
5235D1E9-54A1-44E0-9418-109CC570C88C.png

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Looks wrong to me. The green line should be labeled "right."

I'm a bit surprised there are so many variations on packing up Peaks. It seems I do it differently from everyone else.

After landing, I pull one wing tip upwind and put a bit of sand on it and wind up my lines. Then take the downwind wingtip up to the other one folding the kite in half. Then roll the two tips up to the center of the kite keeping most of the bridles inside.

Next take the bar, or just the leaders if you have removed the bar, and throw them up over the leading edge. Then roll up the kite from the trailing edge toward the leading edge, gathering up any bridle lines and tucking them into the roll right at the start.

Anytime I remove the bar and lines I attach each rear line to the corresponding front line on the kite.

The packing method I use makes it pretty easy to just leave the bar attached and remove it later if i want to rig the same bar on a different kite.

If i have removed the bar from the kite, I stuff the kite into the bag but leave the leaders hanging out from the top of the bag so that they can't get crossed up any more than a few twists in the very ends of the leaders.

I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.

The main thing packing and unpacking with foil kites is find a method you like and always use it consistently to avoid tangles and crossed bridles.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:30 pm

? Those three first answers are basically exactly the same only Slappy likes to hang one out the tail... So Slappy!

Peter is all efficient and a one bolt put it all together guy. Ties em all together in one simple knot... Guy must be in some kinda hurry!

Me, I do it normal... So boring.

The taco Eh? You loco man, straight loco!

I was gonna sarcastically just tell him to stuff sack it, but .... Im boring.

P.S. That green back right line has the wrong label.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
khaakon (Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

mister-z
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180
Local Beach: San Diego
Style: poor
Gear: AXIS Tray 94 + 760 foil, 12m Hyperlink, 5m Peak4, Cabrinha LEIs, shitty old TT that I need to replace
Brand Affiliation: AXIS ambassador

Postby mister-z » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:08 am

Just jumped on the bandwagon and took my crispy new 5m out for the first time today. Wow what a fun kite! However I agree with the few posts I saw here -- the back lines definitely need shortening. I was pushing the low end of the wind range, and I found that I needed my bar almost fully in in order to generate power through loops. Had little to no backstall with it all the way in. So I landed it and, in a pinch, attached the kite's rear lines to the handshake knot that joined my bar's rear lines to their pigtails, in effect shortening them by 15cm. Ended up having to trim in the front lines a touch to get to the sweet spot, but then it was so much better!

Since I use this bar for all of my kites, I don't want to modify it, instead I want to lengthen the kite's front lines by, say, 8-10cm. How can I do this? Do I have to learn to splice dyneema now? (Or spectra, or whatever these lines are made of?)

Alternatively, I'd also be fine with shortening the kite's rear lines -- is there an easy and safe way to do that? If I just tie a figure-8 knot in the rear lines, 10cm up from the ends, and hook my bar lines onto those knots, is that safe? Or would that know weaken the line too much?

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:14 am

Haha mrz so different from my experience using a no chicken loop bar. I bought a nearly new demo 5 and I was stalling it all over the place. It was doing helicopter spins and everything so I had to add an extension piece below the bar and trim it to stop me over sheeting.

To adjust your lines make extensions out of 2 x 30cm of 2mm dyneema. Fold it in half and tie a knot at the end to make a 10cm loop to extend the front lines. It does not need to be more complicated than that.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:44 am

I made a knot about 4cm from the end of the backines and it is properly trimmed now. THis is on my 5m as I use the same 21m line bar as with my Couds.
On the 4m I made a dedicated 17m bar without trimming and made the backlines somewhat shorter...
You don't have to trim these kites at all
I was a bit sceptical in the beginning but they are a blast in the surf

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:45 am

merl wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:14 am
Haha mrz so different from my experience using a no chicken loop bar. I bought a nearly new demo 5 and I was stalling it all over the place. It was doing helicopter spins and everything so I had to add an extension piece below the bar and trim it to stop me over sheeting.

To adjust your lines make extensions out of 2 x 30cm of 2mm dyneema. Fold it in half and tie a knot at the end to make a 10cm loop to extend the front lines. It does not need to be more complicated than that.

Just curious, at what bar position did it stall?

And it wasnt the std bar, not two bars are equal in line lenght no matter what people say...

I think everyone want it to stall a lot, if you pull the bar in.

Riding, of course personally exactly where, with bar halfway sheeted out for sweetspot is probably pretty normal.

I trim mine even more for backstall, as I want the sweetspot (where it would stall, at least slow down a lot if I pull a tad) to be when bar is 2/3 out on the depower line.

This way I can ride waves and carve back and fourth leaning over, same as on waveboards, without risking they "flap".

And there is still the upper third of the depower, for pushing out when riding really big waves and you want to kill power totally.
You dont use the full depower length with these kites, only a bit over and under the sweetspot bar position, whereever you choose it to be.
Beginners often, on tube kites, like to be able to pull the bar all the way in, without having it backstall or collapse.
This changes when you get experienced, where you want to utilize the rearward flying and other advantages of a kite, when you know how to.

I find it fun to ride straight, and then do the "propeller", meaning a loop around itself when you turn the kite hard and pull the bar in (not fully in as then it flies backwards - can also be fun though)
People are really amazed seing a kite suddenly turning in the same place around itself and then flying along like nothing has happened, while I just foil away - fun :rollgrin:

Can do this even with the big 8 m2.

Another reason why you want them to backstall is landing, says itself you should be able to back it down quite hard with the bar, too risky pulling the rear lines.
If you have a trimmer (the default bar has), one could trim the lines so you rode with the kite quite depowered for sweetspot and your personal liking.
This way, when you backstall the kite down, and put your board on the bar, you can just let the trim fully out so you are certain the kite wont lift off in a puff, but will stay glued to the ground.

When I occasionally have to ride upwind for a while, I use the depower trim to move the bar down, so I can ride more relaxing leaning back.
Moving the sweetspot position.
So I use the trim sometimes, but only for this, not for power/depower.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
andrzej351 (Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:08 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:48 pm

Only got to fly mine at the end off the session as everything was falling out the sky. Did have a bit of a tangle to sort out but once sorted it flew really nicely. Very stable and amazing that it will fly in hardly any wind. Looking forward to trying it on the water soon.

Simon

Simair
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Zeebrugge
Style: Strapless
Gear: Best Cabo's
Best spacecraft
North whip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Simair » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:30 pm

Picking up my first Peak 4 - 5m tomorrow.
I only have one bar for my kites: attitude bar with 60/55/50/45cm setting.

Reading about the line shortening or making them longer, If needed in my case and feeling i would make a extension and leave it on the Peak.
So i can use my 4 equal lines on the kites who need That setting.

But first test the kite. 😅

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:41 pm

Does someone knows for sure if this autumn will be released peak5? Two years ago was released peak4, so, must go next version.

Return to “Foil Kites”